Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... Toplef10Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... I22gcj10Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... Toplef10Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... I22gcj10Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"...

+23
shannon1
curio
Tuxdad
Nonna.PapaVino
AranMC
ksbmom
Squat_Johnson
plantoid
NorthWoodsFever
Glendale-gardener
CindiLou
Windsor.Parker
ModernDayBetty
kgooding
sherryeo
llama momma
duhh
boffer
AprilakaCCIL
southern gardener
Denese
camprn
BackyardBirdGardner
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... Empty Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"...

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 9/7/2011, 9:47 pm

Sorry, but if you are one of those that believes we should embrace all the problems that rodents, critters, and yes even birds bring with you, then this is not your thread to watch or read.

Having said that, if you read on, you relinquish the right to complain or chastise me for doing what I am doing.

Agreed?

Have I given you ample time to bail and find another thread?

Ok, then, you've been warned because I know there are lots of you out there in SFG land.

Too late now.

No, really, it's too late now......

I am so sick and tired of planting seeds just to come out the next day and find them dug up. And, no, Boffer (cause I know YOU are going to read this), I'm not going to build a bunch of TT's. I am so sick and tired of my seeds not coming up in the nice little places I planted them....and wondering if they even will....and when they don't, replanting the square after losing a week or two.

Fall is a precious time of year. It's our last shot at our beloved cool season veggies. And, timing for us in the Midwest is pretty critical, especially after a hotter than hot summer and the forecasters, including the Farmer's Almanac, predicting an early onset to winter/frosts. I'd prefer to not waste any more time.

So, Murphy, or his squirrel cousin, has got to go. I don't like killing animals that are just doing their thing, either, but sometimes enough is enough. And, I've had enough.

I'm not the friendly "trap and release" kind of guy. I know how that story goes. They come back. So, I trap, I poison, I deter, and I fully intend on ridding myself of the issue once and for all.

As my boy Kurt Russel says in Tombstone, "...you tell them the LAW is comin'....and hell's comin' with me! You hear me? Hell's comin' with me!!"

I won't show the pictures of the sacred. But, just know that I put a couple of rat traps inside the hoops where only the smaller critter can go. If he had just stayed out of the hoops, I would still be thinking it's my dog, or a raccoon, neither of which would I ever want to trap. But, now that he has eaten holes in my bird netting to gain access to my squares, he has declared war......

and, I'll win.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... Empty Re: Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"...

Post  camprn 9/7/2011, 10:03 pm

I hear squirrel makes good eatin'... but if it's a 'coon, I recommend parboiling before roasting. I'm just sayin' Very Happy

Last edited by camprn on 9/7/2011, 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... Empty Re: Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"...

Post  Denese 9/7/2011, 10:03 pm

BBG, can I join your army? I've gone out now 2 mornings in a row to find 1 or 2 squares dug up. I know they're supposed to "squirrel away" their nuts for the winter, but NOT IN MY GARDEN! Evil or Very Mad I was planning to go buy what I need for hoops and tulle, thinking that would help, but now it sounds like that won't even work! Hmmm, mousetraps, huh? Twisted Evil
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 9/7/2011, 10:49 pm

i've made "covers" for my beds out of hardware cloth, aka rabbit wire. They are sturdy enough to stand on their own, and now have NO problems. I got tired of the birds pecking the new seedlings Twisted Evil , rabbits, squirrels nipping the tops off of my plants. Evil or Very Mad Mine are about 9" high. When the plants start hitting them, I take them off, and I'm usually good if a bird takes a peck or two. i also put my shade cloth over them and pin with clothes pins, and have lettuce in mid summer! You can water right through them, and use them over and over. Kind of expensive at first, but they should last a loooong time!! cheers cheers
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  AprilakaCCIL 9/7/2011, 10:59 pm

My issues seem so small now compared to what you've been through. Here's to hoping better days ahead 4 you. Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... 411499
AprilakaCCIL
AprilakaCCIL

Female Posts : 219

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 9/7/2011, 11:03 pm

ps...i have no problem at all trapping them! They can eat elsewhere! Evil or Very Mad the garden is off limits!! affraid
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/7/2011, 11:09 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:...As my boy Kurt Russel says in Tombstone, "...you tell them the LAW is comin'....and hell's comin' with me! You hear me? Hell's comin' with me!!"...
Go get 'em, Elmer

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 9/8/2011, 2:11 am

I might have to do something similar about the birds around my house... Or become the lady with the bird killing army of cats!
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/8/2011, 4:53 am

I reinforced my critter cages by hooking a couple of mini bungee cords around the bottom of the chicken wire cage right above the wood frame. Hook the other end to the outside bottom of the box right at soil level. A little nail at soil level would make it easier to hook onto, haven't done that yet. Anyway the bungee's metal end barely catches the bottom of the wood. So if the bungee is jostled a bit it snaps off quite fiercly and seems to be the right deterrent. Found a couple of bungees snapped off the next morning and little patch of fur nearby. I suppose the critter was quite startled, but I'm ok with that. Do I get tired of removing and replacing cages? Well yes but its worth it. So far zero critter damage from wildlife or my beloved barn cats. Little frogs still manage to come and go : )
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 9/8/2011, 8:57 am

Well, alright! There ARE some people in support of Amendment 12gague. I can just picture us now...a bunch of Bill Murray dressing, backyard tromping crazies running around to trap varmits, but all the while yelling at each other, "Don't step on the soil! Mel says to never step on the soil!"

Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv87T1CQF8E

Varmit Kong....lol. However, there will be rules to this warfare. I am not trapping anything outside the garden. Only when you step in the garden is your arse mine! That, and I don't want any business with coons and oppossums. If those are causing the trouble, I will abort quickly. My trap will only break a paw, and likely really, really serve to tick those potentially rabid guys off. The hole in my garden, though, is too small to be anything bigger than a squirrel. So, I'm not worried.

I woke up this morning and went outside to check. Yup, got him! But, it wasn't a chipmunk like I thought. Those of us that have noticed the activity happens overnight probably realize this animal must be nocturnal. Tree squirrels aren't all that nocturnal from what I know. And, neither are chipmunks. What I caught is definitely a nighttime prowler.......a field mouse.

Yup, all that work and anger for a field mouse. Maybe I'll just contract an owl or snake? I'll probably keep nailing those suckers all autumn long. And, that's fine with me. All the more I don't need to worry about attempting to get in the house when the weather really cools off.

Hmmmmmm, maybe I can start a "bait station" and catch some really cool pics of owls or hawks? I've heard that's how the photogs get the great shots of those predatory birds.

Sort of like this guy has been reported to do... http://www.pbase.com/raymondjbarlow/image/91383746
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 9/8/2011, 2:42 pm

So, if we are keeping score, we need to adjust this morning's post. That score was BBG1, VarmitKong 0.

However, the VarmitKong has tied things up. Looks like they aren't going without a vicious fight! I came home for lunch and found my hoops collapsed in the middle and the trap sprung and licked clean. That one was a stumper.

But, the logical conclusion is that the VarmitKong has now infiltrated my camp and brainwashed my dog. My dog is the only thing big enough to jump in the hoops, collapse them, spring the trap (accidentally upon hoops collapse), and lick the trap clean. And, my dog is just dumb enough to smell the peanut butter and jump in there after it.

BBG 1, VarmitKong 1.

Now, to the task of reprogramming my dog to serve US again...
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 9/8/2011, 7:50 pm

BBG, I think your dog was trying to catch the varmint messing with your garden & jumped into your garden after it! He was just trying to be a hero and help his master! Probably some other critters came along after he accidentally, while jumping in to try to save your garden, sprung the trap. Those critters probably licked the trap clean! That's my theory, anyways!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 9/8/2011, 11:32 pm

sherryeo wrote:BBG, I think your dog was trying to catch the varmint messing with your garden & jumped into your garden after it! He was just trying to be a hero and help his master! Probably some other critters came along after he accidentally, while jumping in to try to save your garden, sprung the trap. Those critters probably licked the trap clean! That's my theory, anyways!

Certainly one way of looking at it. But,...

I zip-tied all the netting back and reset the trap for tonight. However, I let the dog out while it was still light. I THOUGHT I could get the jump on the dog by replacing the peanut butter with sunflower seeds...something she couldn't smell.

No dice. She jumped in again! Somehow, she dodged the trap again, too. However, this time, she took it out in the yard and chewed the thing up. She still has a ton of puppy in her and likely saw a new plaything in the yard....and just had to investigate.

So, the VarmitKong delivers a crushing, but not fatal, blow to the BBG. BBG 1, VarmitKong 2. The dog may be too far gone to reclaim for our side. This requires some serious thinking.....

(This stuff is too crazy to make up! LOL)
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 9/8/2011, 11:50 pm

Ohhhh, no, puppy!!! I tried to take up for you and there you go and leave indisputable evidence!! Guess you're on your own now.

Tough one, BBG. Do you think you'll be able to keep her?
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 9/9/2011, 2:10 am

Absolutely! She ain't good eatin' yet. Wink
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... Empty Pellet guns

Post  kgooding 1/21/2012, 5:53 pm

So, I'm in the process of building a few raised beds (after reading Mel's book!) and I'm on here researching how to stop voles. Good thing I came across this post though, because my property is literally teaming with squirrels and I hadn't thought of all the damage they can do! Literally, this winter, I even identified one of their nest on the property, and the barn owl that I listen to all night must not really enjoy squirrel. So it appears I'm going to have to take after my grandmother, who at 83 years old was still shooting squirrels out her kitchen window with a pellet gun and calling her kids to dispose of the evidence! Ohh well, better to know what enemies I might be facing and plan in advance in the building stage!
kgooding
kgooding

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 1/21/2012, 7:52 pm

Oh No! I'm a hugger!! Get me out of here! Oh no... I read to much... it's to late for me now...

Hahaha I couldn't resist! Just don't post AFTER pictures is all I beg for. I hope you get the critter (not the dog).
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 1/21/2012, 11:36 pm

kgooding wrote:...So it appears I'm going to have to take after my grandmother, who at 83 years old was still shooting squirrels out her kitchen window with a pellet gun...
affraid One of the squirrel family living in my good neighbors 100+ y/o Maple carried that pretty one home with him/her.
I could only watch the carnage and cuss! Evil or Very Mad
Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... P1010011
This year I'm gonna HURT something! I'm gonna bring the PAIN! Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... 27650
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 1/22/2012, 12:41 pm

I, fortunately, haven't had to get out the pellet gun..but I will! Right now I am one of those terrible people whose cats roam..so no mice, no squirrels, no bunnies dare roam my garden!

Rofl..before you fuss..they aren't really my cats...they are dumped ones that have adopted me! So I bring them food and they bring me gifts of ....rabbit, squirrel, rats, and rodent type parts...ewwwwwww....
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 1/22/2012, 12:54 pm

I am definitely going on a chipmunk and squirrel "elimination" spree this spring. Little jerks hop up there in broad daylight and start pulling things out! I'll see them from the window and go running.

I'm considering rigging a device like one my uncle has employed to keep squirrels out of his birdfeeders. He has a deck with lots of feeders hanging off the side. One feeder in particular attracts the squirrels. So he screwed a piece of metal to the deck rail and wired it up so that if a squirrel is standing on the metal on the deck rail and reaches out and touches the metal feeder while still in contact with the rail, it zaps him! He doesn't have such a high voltage running so that it kills them, just to stun them. And you have to be touching both metal pieces to get zapped, so the birds landing on either piece are fine. Now I just need to think of a way to get the chipmunks without zapping my dogs.........
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  NorthWoodsFever 1/22/2012, 3:47 pm

Thankfully the squirrels around here stay out of the yard, as the dogs do NOT like them! Evil or Very Mad Though they do sit on top of the 6' tall fence and "tease" the dogs...I've only seen one on the ground in the past 7 years here.

Otherwise I have no problem adding them to the stew pot! Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... 211713
NorthWoodsFever
NorthWoodsFever

Female Posts : 64

http://lavenderhen.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/22/2012, 8:00 pm

Yesterday morning the push in the ground six foot tall multiple point bird feeder was leaning over worse then the tower of Pizza . Wink

On investigating there was a neat hole in the ground 3 & 1/2 inches across and about five inches deep at the base of the push in the ground stake.

Pooch had a good sniff around and intently followed the trail of the perpetrator to the fence.
" Grey Squizzers have struck at number 83 " ... devious legal means for their early demise are inhand .
( Grey squirrels are legally classed as vermin in the UK , you are encouraged to help remove them to try and allow the native red squizzer to make a come back .)
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 1/22/2012, 9:27 pm

plantoid wrote:Yesterday morning the push in the ground six foot tall multiple point bird feeder was leaning over worse then the tower of Pizza . Wink

On investigating there was a neat hole in the ground 3 & 1/2 inches across and about five inches deep at the base of the push in the ground stake.

Pooch had a good sniff around and intently followed the trail of the perpetrator to the fence.
" Grey Squizzers have struck at number 83 " ... devious legal means for their early demise are inhand .
( Grey squirrels are legally classed as vermin in the UK , you are encouraged to help remove them to try and allow the native red squizzer to make a come back .)
"Tree Rats", here! Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... 3170584802
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 1/23/2012, 5:25 pm

Ew, Voles. They really like Mel's Mix, and start swarming in the spring warmup... I am buying another roll of hardware cloth next weekend.

Here's my tale of woe from last year:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t6089-moles-voles-and-holes
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  ksbmom 1/24/2012, 3:11 pm

Well, we have a roaming cat, too, so not many problems with squirrels. She will chase them, but has never caught one. But at least they haven't messed with the garden so far. Or have they?? I went out to the SFG yesterday and saw two big, fat tomatoes on the ground next to the garden - half eaten! Evil or Very Mad We also have a chicken coop in the yard and have had problems in the past with 'coons. Hope nobody squeamish is still reading.....my husband traps them and then they go for a little swim in the pond....after a few minutes, he pulls the rope in and voila! No more problem! We also bought one of those sensors where the one end is nailed to the oak tree and when anything crosses the beam the alarm sounds in our room. I'm thinking to put one out on the SFG.'

I've heard llamas are good deterrents.....
ksbmom
ksbmom

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum