Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers? Toplef10Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers? I22gcj10Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers? Toplef10Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers? I22gcj10Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers?

5 posters

Go down

Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers? Empty Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers?

Post  joannajoy 8/19/2011, 11:01 pm

So Im up here in the Southwest corner of North Dakota, I planted zucchini, have lost at least a dozen that grew a couple inches, rotted, then fell off. I figure it's from lack of me being able to successfully hand pollinate, the reason being the male flowers come in way before the female flowers.

I went out to check on my zucchini plant (bush type) earlier today, there are six zucchini right now and as far as male flowers, they are just barely starting to grow. I've had one zucchini grow all summer long. My question is, can I use the male flowers on my summer sqaush plant to pollinate the female zucchini flowers?

I'm having the same problem with my summer squash by the way-except reversed. There is an over-abundance of male flowers that grow in and then die away, then the female flowers come. I haven't lost as many summer squash as zucchini, because they just don't seem to be growing as well. As a matter of fact, in a couple days, my first summer squash of the summer will be ready.

I hope someone can give me an answer, because if I don't hear anything, I'm going to pollinate my zucchini anyway with the summer squash and see what happens. It's better than just letting them rot on the vine. Thanks!
joannajoy

Back to top Go down

Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers? Empty RE:Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers?

Post  happycamper 8/20/2011, 3:17 am

"can I use the male flowers on my summer squash plant to pollinate the female zucchini flowers?"

I do as long as I am not planning to save seed (squash in general don't tend to cross pollinate).
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers? Empty thank you

Post  joannajoy 8/20/2011, 2:07 pm

Thanks so much happycamper! I'm glad to hear it doesn't cross pollenate. Hopefully I will have much more success now for the rest of our short season up here!

Thank you again, I appreciate it!
joannajoy

Back to top Go down

Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers? Empty Re: Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers?

Post  donnainzone5 8/21/2011, 2:49 pm

I did the same thing recently, and the zucchini I picked yesterday looks just fine.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers? Empty Re: Can I pollinate my zucchini with my yellow summer squash flowers?

Post  shannon1 8/22/2011, 4:21 am

With my patty pans the male flowers were just a day or two behind the females so I collected the pollen and brought it inside so the a/c could keep it from getting too hot and then used it on the females when they opened in the am. That worked just dandy.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 8/22/2011, 12:01 pm

I had the good fortune of having a neighbor who also planted some squash plants. That way, when I had females open but no males, I didn't worry about it because I knew the bees would bring over my neighbor's pollen and help my girls out Smile
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down