Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Heat Results? Toplef10Heat Results? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Heat Results? I22gcj10Heat Results? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Heat Results? Toplef10Heat Results? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Heat Results? I22gcj10Heat Results? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Heat Results?

+3
HouseofWool
Mamachibi
BackyardBirdGardner
7 posters

Go down

Heat Results? Empty Heat Results?

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 7/26/2011, 2:21 pm

Anyone losing anything?

Personally, I haven't. Beans still going great. No one will believe my diatribes regarding Simpson Elite lettuce, but I have three squares that refuse to bolt even in the 2 weeks without rain and 10 days of 95+ temps. Take that for slow to bolt! How 'bout NEVER bolt?

Cukes coming along fine. I have two more peppers on the bush (YAY!), and did I mention the beans? My God, the beans!!

If we can just catch a break in the long range forecast, I will jump at the chance to start some lettuces, broccolis, and caulis inside for a few weeks to get past the worst of summer.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Heat Results? Empty Re: Heat Results?

Post  Mamachibi 7/26/2011, 2:45 pm

My Slow-Bolt Cilantro bolted. I guess it was slow and not no-bolt. Laughing My tomatoes are FINALLY getting some color. Haven't lost anything. It's all been good.
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  HouseofWool 7/26/2011, 4:20 pm

Overall, we have been pretty lucky. My onions put up flowers during a freak hot spell in June and have petered out because of it. On the vining plants (squash, watermelon and cantaloupe) a lot of fruit did not set because of the heat (I think). It seems to be improving now that we are at more normal temperatures. Today, I saw a bunch of bees just hanging out inside some of the flowers on the butternut squash, like 3 or 4 bees per blossom!

Right now, I can find about 8 or so squash fruit that are maturing, I wish there were more, but I lost A LOT because of the heat.

Both the watermelon and the cantaloupe have just one or two fruit each.

On the other hand, the tomatoes are going like gangbusters. I was looking today and saw that one of the branches has started to break one the determinate. Now all of the toms are on the ground, but they seem to be doing okay. I hope they start to ripen up soon...
HouseofWool

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal 7/27/2011, 11:47 pm

In Indianapolis we have had almost no rain for over a month plus the heat, etc. My peppers stopped blooming and the fruit stopped growing, the plants look very stressed; the beans quit blooming and the few pods set seed immediately; cukes and toms are going great; corn has tasseled and silked, but the ears are thin. Our community garden is 300' from the water source - makes watering challenging.
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 7/28/2011, 12:03 am

I've gotten a lot of cucumbers, green beans by the bowls full (just froze up 4 qts today alone), some tomatoes that the raccoon hasn't gotten to, lots of swiss chard and some onions. I've left the rest of the onions in the boxes, hoping they will get a little bigger.

I'm now planning on what to plant next and will start planting new bush beans and more onions this week. Thank you Cindilou, for the help! BBG, I will have to plant some more Simpson Elite and see if it will weather the heat. I'll shade that of course.

I'm taking advantage of the hoops and using shade cloth for my pepper plants. When I didn't cover them with shade, a few of the peppers got sun scalded. The poor plants look so sad with this heat and extreme sun if I don't give them some shade in the middle of the day. They are loaded with peppers, but none have turned color (like yellow or red) yet.

The potatoes got blight and never produced worth a darn. My canteloupe have set a couple of fruit this week, but it's getting late in the season, so not sure what will become of that.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 7/28/2011, 11:15 am

Most everything has survived. Unfortunately, I had to go out of town last week in the worst of the heat, so the only attention the plants got was a sprinkler watering around 4 am for 30 minutes. It clearly wasn't enough, because when I came home the container tomatoes were looking pretty bad, like they were starting to burn. The roma I'd damaged early in the season isn't looking great, but I think the others will rebound (a moreton, a ramapo, and a sungold from a cutting). Also, my zucchini isn't doing too well, but I can't figure out for sure what the cause is. I picked one very large zucchini yesterday that I'd hand pollinated, and a second smaller one that looked like it was starting to rot on one end. When I cut off the rotted part, I found a worm or larva of some kind inside, but it didn't really look like the pictures I've seen of squash vine borer larvae. But I took a look at the main stem, and it's definitely looking like it's been attacked near the base, I see a fair amount of what appears to be frass. I'm not sure the plant will make it. Sad
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 7/28/2011, 2:01 pm

If you plant lettuce, carrots, or other cooler season crops right now, I'd suggest starting them indoors. I have tried, and failed, a couple of times to plant in the garden this summer. The soil is just too warm right now. Lettuce won't germinate well if the soils are above 77°. I haven't cross-checked with Mel's book, but that is what I've been reading everywhere I've looked on agricultural sites.

Oh, and carrots don't transplant well. If you attempt to start them inside, they have to go out immediately after sprouting. Dunno what that will do for carrots. Lettuce does transplant well, and the couple of weeks inside under the lights will help buy time for the heat wave to pass.

(I am posting on the "potential" of this heat wave breaking down soon in another thread.)
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 7/29/2011, 12:11 am

I haven't lost anything but the "heat tolerant" bush beans have had a poor germination rate due to the heat. I've increased my watering to prevent any loss also. Next week is supposed to be low 90's with rain this Sat and next Wed/Thurs. Here's to praying to the rain gods! LOL
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down