Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 Toplef10Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 I22gcj10Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 Toplef10Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 I22gcj10Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Gulf Coast Garlic?

+7
camprn
Unmutual
walshevak
shannon1
Nonna.PapaVino
pattipan
sherryeo
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 Empty Guf Coast Garlic?

Post  sherryeo 7/8/2011, 11:51 pm

I had to laugh when I read that he'd wrote that about the experiment. I didn't even mention to him that we were planning to do our experiment! I ordered 1/4 lb of the China Stripe seed garlic to be mailed out in mid-October. We'll see what happens!

Okay, talk to ya later, just wanted to make sure you'd seen that.
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 Empty Re: Gulf Coast Garlic?

Post  shannon1 7/9/2011, 2:11 am

I read this on the Gourmet Garlic Gardening site and wondered if any of you garlic growers do this.

"
When your soil is fully ready to be planted, take the bulbs you want to plant and break them apart into their individual cloves (Being sure to keep each variety separate from others. Soak each varieties' cloves in water containing one heaping tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) and liquid seaweed per gallon to protect them from fungus as well as give them an energy boost. Leave the cloves in the soda water overnight for 16 to 24 hours or long enough for the clove covers to loosen so the liquid comes into contact with the surfaces of the cloves and the clove covers loosen up so that the cloves can easily be extracted without damaging them.
Garlic's clove covers can contain fungal spores, or conidia or the eggs of pests such as mites and are best discarded rather than planted since the first thing the cloves do is to shed them, anyway. The baking soda helps neutralize the fungi. Commercial growers don't usually have time to peel cloves bare but they need to find an economical way to do it because garlic diseases or pests can put them out of business. Gardeners have the time and and should peel the clove covers off. "
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 7/9/2011, 2:35 am

Ok I have decided to grow Ichelium Red it is an early soft neck that I red should do well here. It is the med. flavor that realy got me and I see it was also listed "Ark of Taste" list.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/9/2011, 3:55 pm

Shannon, I've grown Inchelium red here in Western Oregon, where winters are usually quite mild. It is a good-tasting garlic, and some of the bulbs were of very good size. And thank you very much for the planting ideas, especially treating the cloves with baking soda to ward off fungal diseases. Will change my planting practice this upcoming fall (also will use Mel's Mix to see how it compares to past experience). Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 7/9/2011, 11:48 pm

Thanks for the info Nonna, It all boils down to flavor and yeld for me. Nice to know you think I. red has good flavor.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/10/2011, 12:06 am

Caveat, Shannon, like fine wines where the grape reflects the soil it was grown in even after it's made into wine, garlic raised in different soils will have subtly different flavors. But I'm not an expert in flavors of either wine or garlic, and I do like Inchelium Red. My choices of garlic to raise arise more from a desire to have types that will store well because of the long time between fall's planting of bulbs and new bulbs to be harvested around the Fourth of July. Having said that, we intentionally plant enough hard neck varieties to assure lots of scapes for early summer eating after asparagus season, and bulbs to use in salsa (hardnecks often have an initial hotness desirable for salsa). Also, we like chopping a clove or two fine, pouring some particularly tasty olive oil over it, and using it for a dipping sauce for a crusty Italian-style bread served with a nice red wine....while sitting on the deck at end of day....watching turkey vultures sail over the valley below....admiring the way Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams slowly turn pink as the sun sinks. Ahhhhh. Sometimes Oregon is THE place to be. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 7/10/2011, 12:25 am

I use a lot of raw garlic so I wanted to stay away from the really hot garlic. The weather will affect the taste for sure but as we are useing MM the soil should be very much the same. Hard necks are said not to grow as well down here so I will be sticking with the soft necks for now.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/10/2011, 12:48 am

I agree, Shannon, make your largest planting something you know you'll use and what will best suit your area.....then, plant a small bit with something else, just to see if the "experts" know everything. Sorry, it's just the rebel in me saying that. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 7/10/2011, 2:08 am

I like the reble in you Nonna. Twisted Evil
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 Empty Gulf Coast Garlic?

Post  sherryeo 7/20/2011, 12:12 am

I had said that I'd post whatever reply I received from the Jackson County, Mississippi Extension Service to the email I sent about growing garlic here on the gulf coast. It took a while to hear back and they sent an excerpt from an article a Dr. Wayne Porter wrote:

There are hundreds of varieties of garlic. Several companies that specialize in mail order seed garlic and offer a wide selection. For the beginning garlic grower, it is best to get your seed stock from local sources. Some recommended varieties include ‘Creole’, ‘Italian”, and ‘Elephant’.

Timing of garlic planting is important. In Mississippi, mid- September through October have been shown to be the best planting period. This timing allows for good root growth and some top growth. Planting too early may lead to too much tender top growth by winter; a later date may not allow adequate root development.

Soil requirements for garlic include moderate organic matter levels with good drainage. A waterlogged soil will cause cloves to rot. Prior to planting apply 3 cups /100ft2 of 13-13-13. Composted organic matter should be added when possible. During the spring, one to two light side-dressings of ammonium nitrate at 1/4 cup/100 ft2 will promote vigorous and uniform growth. Most small-scale garlic growers utilize raised beds, especially if soils are heavy or poorly drained like those found in many areas of the Delta.

When planting, separate individual cloves from the main bulb and plant them about 4"-6" apart in the row. Generally, the larger the clove planted, the larger the bulb will be at harvest. On a raised bed, several rows can be planted, with each row 12-18" apart. Cloves should be set with tip up, and 1-2" below the soil surface.

Garlic is a poor competitor with weeds, so good weed control is essential. Fall weed problems will be usually be minor, but spring and early summer weeds will need to be controlled. Mulch the soil with straw or other organic materials after planting to provide weed control.

Harvest garlic before tops completely die down, preferably with 4-6 green leaves still attached. Remove excess soil, but do not wash. Lay whole plants on screens or hang in small bunches to dry. Allow it to cure completely in a well-ventilated room, out of the direct sunlight. Curing will take about 4-6 weeks to cure the bulbs. After curing, roots and tops can be trimmed, and outer dirty skins removed. Bulbs of similar size with stems can be braided into strings (20-25 bulbs/string) and hung as decorations. Cured garlic stores best in a cool, dry place. Curing and some storage will bring out the individual variety flavors.

I was a bit disappointed that my question about the refrigeration technique wasn't addressed (see earlier posts), since it was the main question I wanted to have answered, but I thought I'd post this in case it might help someone else from our region. I have not to this date received any reply from Mr. Finch, the garden editor with the Mobile Register.
sherryeo
sherryeo

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/20/2011, 10:35 pm

A guess: refrigeration of bulbs before planting is not required. For instance: tulips require a period of cold to develop (note: tulips come from mountainous areas of Turkey, and they did very well in northern Europe). But different garlic strains have adapted to growing conditions all over the world. Therefore, find a garlic strain adapted to an area similar to yours, and plant the cloves as advised by Dr. Porter. However, it is advisable to continue to refrigerate your tulip bulbs before planting...they probably will need a few more centuries to adapt to Southern US conditions. Just a guess, mind you. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Bayou Life 8/13/2011, 2:26 am

I tried two types last year. Creole and elephant garlic. The creole did excellent, the elephant...... not so much. I planted on the new moon in October, and they were ready for harvest in early may. The elephant garlic bulbed, but didn't set cloves. They weren't a complete waste though, I chopped, bagged them up and stored them in the freezer. I don't know if this really helped or not, but I mulched in the early spring in hopes that it would keep the soil cooler for longer.

The creole are in the 9 squares on the right, the elephant are the three squares on the left. I planted 4 per sf, and there was plenty for me, and I had lots to give away, but I'm going with 9 per sf this year, because they had plenty of room.
Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 8b296eff

Some of the Creole garlic drying
Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 C3e79ff3

Creole dried, cleaned, and my first attempt at a garlic braid.
Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 7f6fe755
Bayou Life
Bayou Life

Male Posts : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 8/13/2011, 7:25 am

Love the braid - nice haul!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/13/2011, 10:57 am

Great garlic success! congrats. BTW, the elephant garlic is more closely related to leeks than to true garlic, so it will cook up different. You've probably already noticed it doesn't have a very strong garlic smell/flavor, but it goes great in a stew. I like to add half bulbs to stews and hearty soups (but along with true garlic for flavor). Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Bayou Life 8/13/2011, 1:28 pm

Thanks. I felt accomplished with this experiment, to say the least. I should add that I didn't refrigerate any. When I was ready to plant, I simply broke the cloves off and spaced them in the squares. Be warned though. Don't place them in your garden where you will need the space for your spring crops.

Nonna,
I knew the elephants weren't "true" garlic. I didn't know about them being closer to leeks, however. I heard about the flavor, so I decided to give it a shot. I wasn't dissappointed with the flavor either. To me it's like an onion with a mild garlic aftertaste. I use it pretty often to stuff meats for cooking. It's also good in a gumbo.
Bayou Life
Bayou Life

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/13/2011, 2:23 pm

Bayou, you grew pretty garlic!!! Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 Empty Gulf Coast Garlic?

Post  sherryeo 8/13/2011, 6:28 pm

Thanks for posting, Bayou! Wow, if you can grow garlic like that in zone 9, I should be able to do it here in 8B!!! Great photos!

I look forward to trying garlic and hope I'll be able to post a success story like yours sometime next year. I love that everybody shares their stories, successes and even failures on this forum so we can all learn! You do grow gorgeous garlic!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/14/2011, 12:52 am

B L that braid is just amazing. I was afraid with the humidity here Garlic and onions wouldn't cure here, just rot. I'm not afraid anymore.Very Happy
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/14/2011, 1:14 pm

Bayou, where did you learn to braid garlic? It's quite an art. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Bayou Life 8/14/2011, 4:58 pm

Thanks!

Good luck Sherry.

As for the braiding, you gotta love the power of the Internet.

https://youtu.be/2EIzZ3hAn9s
Bayou Life
Bayou Life

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 1/29/2012, 9:58 am

Thanks bayou life the link is great
newstart
newstart

Female Posts : 335

Back to top Go down

Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 Empty Had a senior moment!

Post  elwowee 1/30/2012, 2:56 pm

This is totally stupid, but I was having a beer on the pool deck, adjacent to our sfg when the thought hit me "...hmmm...wonder if I could grow garlic out here...?" Never tried it before..so when the beer was gone, I went into the kitchen, got a bulb out of the window and planted 12 cloves...just barely covering the tip...flat side down. Took about 7 or 8 months or so...but we got half a dozen or so bulbs of decent "super market" garlic! Nothing like experimentation I guess...and beginner's luck. cheers....elwo Garlic - Gulf Coast Garlic? - Page 2 3170584802
elwowee

Male Posts : 31

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2