Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 Toplef10Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 I22gcj10Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 Toplef10Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 I22gcj10Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!!

+22
elliephant
Coelli
RoOsTeR
littlejo
Nonna.PapaVino
Pepper
Turan
dgram41
walshevak
braim5
curio
camprn
AprilakaCCIL
sceleste54
Lurach
busygirl
FarmerValerie
shannon1
Reverend Curlee
westie42
staf74
BackyardBirdGardner
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!!

Post  camprn 5/10/2012, 5:13 pm

I have finally a few okra sprouts, I just let the seeds sit in water for 5 days... fingers crossed they do something besides die. Shocked

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!!

Post  littlejo 5/10/2012, 11:36 pm

I didn't want to wait for the okra to germinate. Looked online and 1 site(didn't save url) said to soak seed in bleach for about 5 minutes, rinse, then plant. I put the seed in the bleach, then got worried and rinsed off real quick. Planted the seed on Sat. and they were up out the ground on Monday am!!

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/8/2012, 12:14 am

After reading this post, and getting hungry for fresh okra, I bought and planted some seeds, of which 12 germinated. Western Oregon is not conducive to okra raising, but I reasoned: the greenhouse isn't full of plants during the "hottest" part of summer, could it raise okra? Thanks to idea posted on this forum, I bought 3 concrete mixing tubs, drilled drainage holes in bottoms, filled with Mel's Mix, and have planted tender melons and 8 okra sprouts. A week later, all are doing well. Yes, I know I'm in for an interesting time of trellising these plants, due to space considerations, but so far, so good. Wish me luck, and keep those recipes coming.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/17/2012, 2:13 am

Here is a picture of my okra in a wall o water. It is still growing after transplanting, a step further than i ever got before. Laughing

Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 12-jun11

Here is the one that snapped and I splinted. It finished snapping when i was planting it. So I stuck it int he ground anywyas. It does not look good but that is a new baby leaf it has made.
Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 12-jun12

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/17/2012, 10:26 am

You broke it! Shocked I bought okra seed on a whim yesterday. I figured what the heck, it's been really warm and the seeds where cheap...guess we'll see Very Happy

Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/17/2012, 10:28 am

I'm going to transplant my wee 2" okra plants today. Rooster, I had better success with sprouting the okra seed in a dish of water then planting vs. sowing seed into soil straight out of the package.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/17/2012, 10:34 am

camprn wrote:I'm going to transplant my wee 2" okra plants today. Rooster, I had better success with sprouting the okra seed in a dish of water then planting vs. sowing seed into soil straight out of the package.

Really? The seed pack does say 14-21 days for germination Shocked
Details on how you started them Very Happy

An acquaintance in Dallas has said his okra is doing terrible this year. He's said only two have come up...

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/17/2012, 10:37 am

RoOsTeR wrote:
camprn wrote:I'm going to transplant my wee 2" okra plants today. Rooster, I had better success with sprouting the okra seed in a dish of water then planting vs. sowing seed into soil straight out of the package.

An acquaintance in Dallas has said his okra is doing terrible this year. He's said only two have come up...
I just put the seed in a shallow plastic container, a little bit of water and put it in a warm place and I think it only took about 3-5 days before I saw sprouts. Same as growing edible sprouts. Wink Then I planted the sprouted ones.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/17/2012, 10:40 am

camprn wrote:
RoOsTeR wrote:

I just put the seed in a shallow plastic container, a little bit of water and put it in a warm place and I think it only took about 3-5 days before I saw sprouts. Same as growing edible sprouts. Wink Then I planted the sprouted ones.

I'm on it! Thanks for the tip Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 3170584802

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 6/17/2012, 2:13 pm

I recently sprouted Clemson Spineless Okra and I kid you not, it sprouted in 2 days. I soaked the seeds for about 2 hours in water with a little bit of hydrogen peroxide, then stuck them in seed starting mix in 2 newspaper pots on a seedling mat indoors. My notes say they were put in the pots on the 10th and started emerging on the 12th.

As soon as I saw them emerging I put them, pots and all, in the garden. They've continued to come up, 1 is now working on its first true leaves and the other is having trouble shedding its seed cover. It's been very warm here and they get about 10 hours a day of full sun.

I'm looking forward to it - I think I'll order some burgundy okra from Baker Creek too!
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/17/2012, 3:15 pm

I started mine in 2" soilblocks and put them on my heat mat. They sprouted in a few days, faster than a week I think. 2" was too small for them though. The 4" soil blocks I constructed did not do well. Next time I think I will sprout them and then plant direct into the QB patented air pruning Solo cup system Very Happy

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/17/2012, 8:27 pm

So excited to see other 'northerners' planting okra. My 8 plants (4 Emerald, 4 Zeebest) are planted up in two concrete mixing tubs (along with some Asian melons) in the greenhouse. We removed all the 3' high "benches" and put the tubs on the floor. Black tubs, or extraordinary heat generated by greenhouse apparently encouraged the okra plants to grow quite well. Interesting experiment, to compare with the same plants planted in a bale bed outside, with hoop house over it. Will try to keep y'all updated. Ain't this fun?
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 7/11/2012, 1:19 pm

I got a POD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and more flowers coming Laughing

Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 12-jul15

I am planning to pickle them.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 7/11/2012, 2:47 pm

I sure wish I could pass some okra up north to y'all. I'm getting more than I can handle and the plants are just starting to branch, increasing the yield like crazy. Planting less next year. Laughing
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 7/18/2012, 10:18 am

Our Okra is in the "making"!
Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 Imga0710
Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 Imga0711
Friday Rookie Topic XI: OKRA!! - Page 2 Imga0712
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/18/2012, 10:28 am

OH! How lovely! mine are still only 6 inches tall.... I wonder what the hold up is.... thinking

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 7/18/2012, 11:29 am

Mine are only about a foot tall, not even over the edge of the wall o waters yet. They are blooming and making a few pods but this is pretty meager stuff. I suspect they would like me to keep the green house closed but then the tomatoes would stop fruiting from heat stroke.

O Southerners, is okra a crop that really starts going when it is too hot for tomatoes and beans and such?

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 7/18/2012, 12:35 pm

yes, Okra likes it hot! And not too much water either. You can put black plastic down to really heat up the soil. Tomatoes will be wilting and the okra will be going strong!
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/18/2012, 7:54 pm

Nanook of the north asks what sort of night temps do you get over the okra season ...he asks .....cos he's nosey Laughing Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 7/18/2012, 8:10 pm

Our usual nighttime temps during the summer are 75-77 degrees.
elliephant

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 7/18/2012, 9:00 pm

Turan wrote:
O Southerners, is okra a crop that really starts going when it is too hot for tomatoes and beans and such?

I think okra would produce in hell. It's the most heat tolerant (or heat loving) veggie I know.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  cherriesjubilee 7/19/2012, 8:22 pm

[/quote]

I'm glad I'm not the only one! My okra is not doing that great yet. I planted it two months ago.

The beginning of this thread is absolutely correct. Okra seeds do not keep well. Someone gave me some pods of the burgundy okra and very few seeds germinated.

However, I used the little I had, plus some store-bought to do a stir-fry, like this:

Sliced up a little yellow squash. Sliced the okra. Heated one tablespoon of coconut oil in a skillet. Dredged the okra and squash in quinoa flour (I don't eat wheat or corn). Browned pieces in the oil.

Fantastic way to do it! No slimy quality, and the quinoa flour made it taste so good.
cherriesjubilee
cherriesjubilee

Female Posts : 48

http://sherry-a-casa.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 7/22/2012, 9:21 pm

Thanks, ya'all. I am thinking then that to really get okra here I would need a greenhouse in the greenhouse.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/22/2012, 9:25 pm

All you okra growers out there... does okra need a lot of water? or not so much? I'm going back to the original post to double check but I thought I would ask. Very Happy

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 7/23/2012, 9:20 am

Not so much. It was the only thing that kept producing when I stopped watering last summer in anticipation of a move. But it is producing more this summer with regular watering.
elliephant

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum