Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Saving Mel's Mix Toplef10Saving Mel's Mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Saving Mel's Mix I22gcj10Saving Mel's Mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Saving Mel's Mix Toplef10Saving Mel's Mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Saving Mel's Mix I22gcj10Saving Mel's Mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Saving Mel's Mix

5 posters

Go down

Saving Mel's Mix Empty Saving Mel's Mix

Post  busygirl 6/13/2011, 7:02 am

I have noticed a couple of posts lately about "stinky" MM that has bacteria or fungus from poor drainage. I don't remember anyone answering the question of what to do with the mix. It is very easy to dry it out and sterilize it so that you can use it again. For the folks who were using containers, get a large foil roasting pan, fill it with MM and put it in the oven at 200 degrees. Depending on how wet it is, it could take 2-3 hours, stirring two or three times until it is dry and regains its earthy smell.

If you have a whole box full, the oven method would be a little time consuming, so I would suggest either a cold frame (clear glass would be best) or covering the box with plastic for a week or so to bring the soil temp up to kill anything in it. If you have a compost thermometer, you can monitor the temp with that.

Just a couple of suggestions...
busygirl
busygirl

Female Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Saving Mel's Mix Empty Re: Saving Mel's Mix

Post  Tbites 6/13/2011, 8:25 am

I don't know if you're referring to the denitrifying bacteria from waterlogged soil, but what I read on it said it cannot survive where oxygen is present. I just layed mine out on a tarp to dry in the sun (wasn't sure if the oven method would kill any good bacteria)... I've since reused it to pot another tomato... seems okay so far but it's only been 2 weeks I think. we'll see.

When you say kill anything in it... does that include good bacteria ? If so, does the good bacteria grow back ?

Cheers
Tbites
Tbites

Back to top Go down

Post  Velvet Elvis 6/13/2011, 5:03 pm

Waterlogged???.... Mel says "you can't, I repeat, you can't overwater Mel's Mix"
Velvet Elvis

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/13/2011, 6:14 pm

Velvet Elvis, the waterlogged Mel's Mix was caused by the wet mix not being able to drain because it was surrounded by non pourous fabric or a container with no drainage holes.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Tbites 6/13/2011, 6:21 pm

Elvis, you are right, Mel says you cannot overwater Mel's Mix. FurbalsMom explanation was clearer.... I should've added a specific disclaimer to my previous post and I don't even know if that's the posts the original poster was referring to.

I'm still curious about the oven technique for sterilizing soils... not necessarily Mel's Mix... 1) Wouldn't it kill beneficial bacteria ? 2) Wouldn't it stink up my oven/kitchen ?

Cheers
Tbites
Tbites

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/13/2011, 6:45 pm

Velvet Elvis, go to the head of the class for reading comprehension and retention!

One question about cooking the MM - I have read about cooking garden dirt to kill weed seeds, and this has always been accompanied by a warning that it stinks! Is that the case with MM?
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Velvet Elvis 6/13/2011, 7:00 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:Velvet Elvis, the waterlogged Mel's Mix was caused by the wet mix not being able to drain because it was surrounded by non pourous fabric or a container with no drainage holes.

OK. I assumed everybody uses the weed fabric as instructed.
Velvet Elvis

Back to top Go down

Post  busygirl 6/13/2011, 8:11 pm

martha wrote:Velvet Elvis, go to the head of the class for reading comprehension and retention!

One question about cooking the MM - I have read about cooking garden dirt to kill weed seeds, and this has always been accompanied by a warning that it stinks! Is that the case with MM?

It only smells for the first 30 minutes or so, until the yucky (yep, it is a technical term) stuff dries up. The rest of the time it smells like "good" soil or MM (that is a judgment call, I don't mind it). However you feel about the smell, it does NOT linger after you are finished, and the oven doesn't smell the next time you use it or anything like that.

Sterilization kills everything, good and bad, but a couple of scoops of compost when you re-use the mix would give the good stuff a jump start on repopulating your box.

I have done this often with regular potting soil prior to my initiation into SFG this year. Apparently one of my batches of "leftover" MM was too damp when I put it into the vermiculite bag for storage this spring, and when I went to use it later, it had formed mold throughout. I cooked it right up (no comments from the two teenagers in the house, so it couldn't have smelled too terrible) then put it in containers for extra transplants that wouldn't fit in my boxes, and it is working great. I didn't even add extra compost to re-start the good bacteria and stuff.

I guess you could try it outside on the grill if you were worried about the smell in the house? Don't know what the temperature control would be like, though.
busygirl
busygirl

Female Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/13/2011, 10:52 pm

Hey, to me barn smells are an aroma, not a stench, so since you are the first person from whom I have heard first hand information about cooking dirt, I'm going to believe that it isn't bad. Regular MM certainly does not stink - even if it doesn't smell as good as a sweaty horse! Razz Saving Mel's Mix 474907
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down