Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Toplef10Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 I22gcj10Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Toplef10Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 I22gcj10Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Keeping wildlife out of the garden

+21
CapeCoddess
donnainzone5
MsSmilesT
miinva
Rolanaj
naturalysam
Blackrose
junequilt
Icemaiden
plb
Odd Duck
Chopper
brake4squirrels
Dan
chocolatepop
Mikesgardn
choksaw
martha
Kabaju42
boffer
Miss Mousie
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Empty Squirrel-proof domes?

Post  brake4squirrels 3/31/2010, 2:41 pm

Hi there -

(Ironically, although I have a soft-spot for squirrels (see username), this post is very anti-squirrel! haha!)

I'm working on setting up 5 square foot gardening boxes. Last season I had a big problem with squirrels in my containers. I had several nice red tomatoes growing just waiting for the perfect time to be picked... but every day I would notice another one half-eaten laying on the other side of the yard. I actually caught a squirrel with one of my tiny eggplants in hand, taking bites out of it like a sub sandwich. Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Kopfschuettel

So I'm pretty sure I'm battling squirrels here. I have no deer problem because I'm living in a big city.

I'm trying to set up domes with PVC pipes. Mel shows these in his book as a way to protect against frost. The plan is to cover them with a flexible netting like what is used on the trellises. I want to make sure the holes are big enough for pollinators, but too small for squirrels.

All you advanced gardeners out there --- is such a netting available in stores? will this work, or am I dreaming? What do you suggest I do to fix this squirrel problem?

THANK YOU for your insight!!
brake4squirrels
brake4squirrels

Female Posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Keeping wildlife out of the garden

Post  Miss Mousie 3/31/2010, 2:42 pm

That's a nice design, Dan. I'm sure that will keep the critters out of your garden. I think the reason I was thinking of a cage is because I wanted to have the required space around each bed to be able to tend to the garden (pull weeds, harvest). I'm sure my plan sounds kind of "out there" but I'm hopeful that it will work. We will hopefully begin work on it in mid April. We are having a visit from my mom and when she leaves I think we will start putting the plan into motion and I will take lots of pictures.
Miss Mousie
Miss Mousie

Female Posts : 89
Location : Sierra Nevada Foothills, California | Sunset Zone 7

Back to top Go down

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Empty Netting for squirrels

Post  Chopper 5/9/2010, 11:35 pm

Wouldn't bird netting do the trick? Or is it too lightweight? Not sure if squirrels wouldn't gnaw through it.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Keeping wildlife out of the garden

Post  Mikesgardn 5/10/2010, 9:28 am

1" chicken wire/poultry netting will let the pollinators in, and will keep out birds and animals. If the netting will be put up permanently, go with the metal version. If you will be taking it down, they make a plastic version that you can find at the big box hardware stores. Last year, I used the metal chicken wire, and it worked well until we had a blizzard that crushed the hoop house. This year, I am using the plastic chicken wire so that I can remove it in the fall, and roll it up. This stuff can be easily attached to 1/2" pvc pipes with large binder clamps. The only downside is that an animal with teeth could bite through it. We'll see.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 5/10/2010, 11:25 am

I thought I was having a squirrel problem with my tomatoes last year, until we saw the mockingbirds jumping into the middle of the tomato plants and going after them.

And since they were the first tomatoes I'd grown in about 20 years, I was very proud and I was checking the tomatoes twice daily. I'm QUITE certain there were no worms involved. The birds starting pecking at them the first time once the first tomato was ripe, but after they "found" them, they would start at the first hint of orange.

Bird netting kept everything safe after that, and still seemed to let the pollinators in just fine. I got the netting froma big box store - pretty cheap, too.
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  plb 5/11/2010, 10:05 am

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Icon_sad This morning I went out to check on my two SFG boxes, and I found plenty of damage... Some animal had walked all over my young, fragile spinach plants, damaging most of them, and dug out almost the whole square where yesterday I had seeded some arugula. I'm soooo annoyed... I first though about a cat (we have fences all around the garden, so bigger animals would not be able to come in) but reading this post I wonder if a squirrel might be the culprit; I saw one a couple of days ago, and the square that was dug out was covered with two wooden slats that left very little room to get to the soil. I had put those to protect the square from cats, while waiting for the seeds to sprout.
Another lesson learned... I didn't cover this box because I want to plant tomatoes and pole beans in it, but next year I'll get more boxes for the things that need a trellis, and cover everything else. The other box, that has hoops and an insect cover, is for the moment safe from damage...
It wouldn't be too bad if I had more stuff planted, but with just 24 squares in total having a few destroyed does make a difference!
plb

Back to top Go down

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Empty It's almost done

Post  Miss Mousie 8/5/2010, 4:04 am

Many of you may remember this post of mine that I started months ago. I was wondering how to keep deer and other critters out of my garden. Many of you have posted some great ideas too. I just wanted to go one step further....... The cage is 24 X 24 and 8ft tall. Totally enclosed by galvanized 1/2" or 1" chicken wire (top and bottom too, although in this pic the top isn't done yet).

Here is the result. The pics show the garden in total shade but it actually gets full sun from sunup to about 4:00pm

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Garden10

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Garden11

I've totally missed the spring/summer planting season but I hope to be able to get a few things in and perhaps some fall veggies.
Miss Mousie
Miss Mousie

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 8/5/2010, 7:27 am

That's what I call a fence! Not much getting through that is there? Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Icon_lol
Good luck with your next crop.
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/5/2010, 10:04 am

good job!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Empty IT'S ALMOST DONE

Post  junequilt 8/5/2010, 12:25 pm

Wow. now that is a cage -- on steroids! Great work! I can just imagine critters gazing in at all the wonderful plants you're going to be growing. Is that landscape fabric I see on the ground?
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/5/2010, 1:13 pm

Well, I think you have done what needed to be done. Might as well take the time rather than have all of your produce eaten by deer, etc. Looks like a pretty darn sturdy fence. Now, let the dance begin. Of course you won't know your weak spots until you have vegetation in there, but it doesn't look to me like there are any.

Btw, did you put chicken wire on the ground also?
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Mousie 8/6/2010, 3:10 am

Thanks for your comments. Yeah, I just didn't want to deal with the disappointment of planting things only to come out to admire my little seedlings and find that a squirrel or deer has been enjoying the salad bar. As it was we have an ancient apricot tree that only fruits every couple of years due to late frosts and the other day I was admiring the apricots from the kitchen window and thinking "gee, I should go out and see if they are ripe yet". The next day or so I went out and ALL of the apricots were gone thanks to the birds. They got every single one of them. I immediately put bird netting on my brand new peach and Fuji apple trees.

The bottom of the cage is lined with 1/2" chicken wire extending out underneath the bottom plate and nailed in place. Eventually we will put pavers in between the 4 X 4 boxes we plan to put in there (at least 5 eventually not to mention some 2 X 6 or 2 X 8 boxes along the walls.

I'm very excited to finally get started. I figure that I still have time to plant a fall garden.
Miss Mousie
Miss Mousie

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 8/19/2010, 9:03 am

Wow Miss Mousie! That is an amazing "cage"! I'm sure it will keep just about everything out of your garden.

Do you mind if I ask what the approximate cost of building it was?

I'm very jealous. Hmmmm.... I wonder if I can convince my hubby to build something similar for me next year. Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 601593
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Mousie 8/19/2010, 6:33 pm

Hi Blackrose,

No, I don't mind you asking. It was approx. $500.00 we underestimated the chicken wire and had to buy more plus we bought chicken wire at Home Depot and our local feed store and you might be able to find a less costly source. Other people are great at using "found" items to build their gardens with, I'm not that creative I just went out and bought wood and wire and stuff. Also you could make it smaller but I wanted room to expand right up front, I didn't want to have to build again in a year or so when I wanted more room. So it's 24 X 24 ft. and 8 ft tall. (the 8 ft tall was so we didn't have to cut the wood, thus taking up more time with the cutting and measuring Very Happy ).

I'm in the planning stages for my fall garden. I did buy some marigolds yesterday to plant in one square. I'm so excited. My local nursery said they'd have fall veggie seedlings in in about two weeks.
Miss Mousie
Miss Mousie

Back to top Go down

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Empty Bears

Post  naturalysam 8/20/2010, 10:03 pm

Well I am moving next year and will be starting my square foot garden. We are in the middle of the forest with tons of squirrels and chipmunks running around however there are also bears that were spotted and causing damage this season and I would really rather not attract them closer. Any ideas on what not to plant that would attract these animals. My mother believed to hear something growling oddly (wolverine or wolf or something of that scary sound) that scared her half to death so who knows what we could find in our garden.
naturalysam

Back to top Go down

Post  Rolanaj 1/24/2011, 5:24 pm

I've had bears in my yard but they never seemed to bother the garden they go for ant hills, blueberries and garbage cans around here.
Rolanaj

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 1/26/2011, 6:30 pm

Bears also seem to like cocoa mulch, so don't use that if they're around Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Empty THANK YOU ALL

Post  MsSmilesT 7/2/2013, 9:46 am

I'm just getting started with gardening again after a good 20 years.
Oh, I've dabbled with containers over the years, but this year I discovered SFG.
LOVE IT.

My concern has been the village feral cats. 
(don't understand why people can't be responsible pet owners)....
{{{sigh}}}

But, wishing away the problem simply doesn't work.

The posts on this thread have been so informative  Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 3170584802

THANKS EVERYONE ~ I think I've discovered some ideas to keep my beautiful food beds feral free.sunny
MsSmilesT
MsSmilesT

Back to top Go down

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Empty Inexpensive Deer Fence

Post  donnainzone5 8/31/2013, 3:15 pm

I received this e-mail from Bluestone Perennials the other day:

Oh Deer! Inexpensive, nearly invisible deer fence

Greetings from Bluestone,

If you are dealing with deer – here is an idea you might wish to try: A nearly invisible fence made from fishing line. It is quick, easy, low cost, and it works! What's not to like?

My father has a vegetable garden in Michigan that was being pillaged by deer. He put up 6' green garden stakes about shoulder high every 25 to 30 feet apart. Next he ran fishing line at waist and shoulder heights, about 3' and 5'. He used clear monofilament line, however you can get green tinted if you wish. That was the end of his deer problem. Deer are very skittish and spook easily. They can't see the fishing line and panic when they bump into it. The result is "Feet don't fail me now".

Deer also can't turn by bending their bodies. Need a gate? Just overlap the fence by about 3' and leave yourself a narrow path between the sections. Smaller animals, (rabbits anyone?) will not be bothered by the fishing line so if they are also a problem then a low run of chicken wire or similar fencing will be necessary. My father uses 24" tall chicken wire and buries it 3" to 4" to discourage critters from tunneling under.

The end result allows you to enjoy your flowers, enjoy your view, and not have you feeding the neighborhood maurauders. Hope it works for you - this method has been a home run for my father!

Happy Gardening!

Signature

Second Generation Owner & Grower

Bluestone Perennials | 7211 Middle Ridge Rd | Madison, OH 44057

donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/31/2013, 3:43 pm

This also works for geese I'm sad to say. It stopped the geese from coming up on my neighbors beach hence cutting off my supply of goose poo. Rolling Eyes 

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/31/2013, 4:00 pm

So we all have our problems with varmints in the garden from time to time. My good friend's father, who is 83 years young, is being stymied by pests digging up the lawn in his half acre blueberry patch. The damage looks something like this. Shocked 

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 4fa7e7f963583.preview-300

This is the type of damage caused by the varmint known as feral swine... 

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 TKl32.La_.91

He is limited in his options for dealing with the monsters.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/31/2013, 6:16 pm

camprn wrote:He is limited in his options for dealing with the monsters.
get that pesky wabbi get that pesky wabbi get that pesky wabbi get that pesky wabbi get that pesky wabbi get that pesky wabbi 

happy smile 

Very Happy 

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 8/31/2013, 6:26 pm

Bacon? Ham?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/31/2013, 6:29 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:Bacon?  Ham?
YES! However, in NH you can hunt them anytime but need permission from the owner. The owner is the hunting preserve they escaped from 50 years ago. Typically they give permission. Richard is 83 years old and won't be camping out in a lawn chair, with a rifle, in the dark, waiting for a 160 wild pig to make an appearance.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/31/2013, 6:51 pm

Feral pigs cause massive damage and FAST! I guess I wasn't aware they had made their way that far northeast already. They are starting to hit the lower south portions of Colorado, and will continue on.
I can understand Richards situation...to bad he can't find some folks wanting to come out and hunt. The pigs are nasty to dress out, but the meat is excellent.

Keeping wildlife out of the garden - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next