Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Bugs!! Toplef10Bugs!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Bugs!! I22gcj10Bugs!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Bugs!! Toplef10Bugs!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Bugs!! I22gcj10Bugs!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Bugs!!

+7
camprn
ashort
jthreadsmith1
Old Hippie
HPartin
shannon1
kerriejo1961
11 posters

Go down

Bugs!! Empty Bugs!!

Post  kerriejo1961 5/2/2011, 3:39 am

Hi, I've also asked this on the Pests forum, but wondered if I might catch a few local people here:

Would you all mind going to my blog and reading the most recent post? It explains my bug problem and shows pictures.

Thanks!!
Bugs!! 109486
kerriejo1961
kerriejo1961

Female Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Bugs!! Empty Re: Bugs!!

Post  shannon1 5/2/2011, 5:28 am

If you plant it they will come. Cabbage worms, A realy good way to fight them is with BT there are a lot of brands out there. Bt is an illness (germ warfare) that only effects catapillers. Bees and other benifical insects are unaffected, just as long as it is not mixed with other pestisides. Go get em.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  HPartin 5/2/2011, 8:40 am

I don't have any answers but I sympathize. My cabbage is getting eaten up. I have sprayed it several times with Neem oil insecticide but it isn't helping. I went to an (orange) big box store to get BT but they didn't have any. Today I'm going to head over to a local garden center where I will probably have better luck finding what I need. The cabbage worms haven't ventured far from the luscious cabbage that they have fun, but they certainly have enjoyed it. One question I have is when do you know you are growing a pointless vegetable. When do I no they got it for sure?

This is my first summer garden; I have a feeling I'm going to be at war all summer with pests Smile. What did I get myself into?

Still having fun....

Heidi
HPartin

Female Posts : 120

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 5/2/2011, 1:20 pm

Yup! Gardening is a war alright. If it isn't the weather, then it is bugs, or the animals. Bugs!! 739404

Are we having fun yet??

I checked out your blog and those look like the cabbage moth caterpillar to me. If you are certain you got all the little critters, you may want to invest in some bridal veil tulle at a fabric store and cover your garden with netting. It will keep those little white butterflies that you will often see flitting about, from laying their eggs on your brassicas. They loves those brassicias which is why I hardly ever plant them anymore. The eggs hatch and you get those cute little green worms in your cabbage and I hate seeing them float up in the broccoli! YUCK!! (interesting note: Spell checker keeps kicking out brassicas and suggests brassieres as an alternative. Shocked That conjures up some weird images and "No!" Ashort, we don't need anymore of your pics!)

Gwynn

Last edited by Old Hippie on 5/2/2011, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding to original post)
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  kerriejo1961 5/2/2011, 1:32 pm

Ok, friends and neighbors: WHAT is BT???

Cabbage worms... that's what I was told on the other forum I left that request on, too.... dang worms. Now what did you think about the collards with those little egg sacs (???) on the bottoms of the leaves? And the holes in my beans?

LOVE your machine gun, Hippie, LOL, oh gosh, I was hoping so hoping... well, yeah, in my little Polly Anna mind there are no garden pests...

Thank you for your responses... it gives me direction. I need to know about BT now... ???

Kerrie
kerriejo1961
kerriejo1961

Back to top Go down

Post  kerriejo1961 5/2/2011, 1:34 pm

Wait, you told me what BT was... I just have to find it... And Bridal tulle... that's a good thought, too!

I knew I could count on you!!
Thanks!! Bugs!! 109486
kerriejo1961
kerriejo1961

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 5/2/2011, 1:38 pm

Well I googled BT and came up with a couple of things....Broadband telephone which I don't think is the one we are looking for and 'bacillus thurengienus".

Here is a link

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/BTgen.pdf

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  kerriejo1961 5/2/2011, 2:20 pm

Awesome! Thanks! Checking out the link now!
kerriejo1961
kerriejo1961

Back to top Go down

Post  jthreadsmith1 5/2/2011, 3:02 pm

Just a word of caution on bridal netting: I always seem to have problems with cabbage worms on my brassicas, which I plant in Aug. for my fall garden. The first sign is little white butterflies flittering around the garden looking innocent and sweet; but then they lay the eggs on the underside of the leaves which become the dreaded larvae that eat holes in the leaves.
My experience with bridal tulle has been disappointing: The first year I put it down after I saw the white butterflies. Too late. The eggs were just captured inside the netting with my brocolli and cabbage, and holes began to appear in the plants anyway. The next year I bought plants at a nursery and covered them with the bridal netting as soon as I planted them. One day I went out and counted 7 little while butterflies inside the netting, flitting happily around in their new playspace with my plants. My conclusion is that the nursery plants, sitting outside at the nursery, had already been zapped by the moths so the eggs were already present when I brought them home. I thought I looked them over well before planting, but I must have missed some.
Short of growing the plants indoors from seeds, I don't have a solution. For the last year my solution has been to go to the farmer's market or grocery store and buy my cabbage and brocolli. Embarassed
jthreadsmith1

Female Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 5/2/2011, 5:36 pm

Old Hippie wrote: (interesting note: Spell checker keeps kicking out brassicas and suggests brassieres as an alternative. Shocked That conjures up some weird images and "No!" Ashort, we don't need anymore of your pics!)

Gwynn

Did someone call?

Bugs!! Worms10
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 5/2/2011, 5:48 pm

Right on cue! LOL!

Those are gross! What a Face Ewwwwwwww!

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  kerriejo1961 5/2/2011, 5:57 pm

OK, I have been told that the Melaleuca product, Sol-U-Mel, can be diluted and sprayed on plants for bugs... might try that as I probably have some around here....

From http://motherlodeholistic.wordpress.com/2009/06/08/101-uses-for-sol-u-mel/ :

....Control aphids and bugs on plants by spraying diluted Sot-U-Mel (5 parts water to one part Sot-U-Mel) directly on affected stems, leaves, buds, etc.)...
kerriejo1961
kerriejo1961

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 5/2/2011, 6:27 pm

I forgot to say that sage is supposed to help repel cabbage moths. I tried that one year on my cabbage and it seemed to work. I just laid a couple of branches of sage across the tops of the cabbages and I didn't get any of those little loopers.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/2/2011, 6:56 pm

I really, really don't like these worms! Last summer I inspected all my brassicas and hand picked the wee devils 2 X a day, all summer. It didn't take long each day and I had pretty good results. I am planning on planting most brassicas in the same bed and covering with a sheer curtain or tulle. Finger crossed for good results. Good luck with your cabbage worms. Also, be aware that these critters have about 4 life cycles through the growing season, so it really is a season long endeavor to keep ahead of them.
informational article about cabbageworm <~~~~Click link
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/2/2011, 7:49 pm

I grew all (most) of my brassicas from seed indoors, transplanted into my Table Tops in Mel's Mix and immediately covered with bridal veil tulle.

They have been outside for 30 days now and no sign of cabbage worms. I have seen some cabbage moths flitting around outside for the last week, but none seem to have gotten into the covered table top.

Last year the cabbage worms were awful. BT was the only thing that helped.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 5/2/2011, 7:58 pm

Old Hippie wrote:I forgot to say that sage is supposed to help repel cabbage moths. I tried that one year on my cabbage and it seemed to work. I just laid a couple of branches of sage across the tops of the cabbages and I didn't get any of those little loopers.

Gwynn

sage is a perennial right?
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/3/2011, 12:00 am

Yep sage is a perennial alright and seems to be a trap crop for mealy bubs in my garden. At least they seem to like the sage and not anything else. Yes the BT I was speaking of is 'bacillus thurengienus' I should have said so, sorry.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 5/3/2011, 8:20 am

I had something eat my cabbage this year, but it was the goats, they ate 4 of them, that was half, and they only ate half of each one before moving on to the next.

So far those are the only pests in my cabbage, broccoli, and califlower, oh and brussels sprouts, I planted onions with them though so that may be helping.

If the soap does not work, and you cannot find bt locally, try here, they really are a great company.
http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8797
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Bugs!! Empty RE:BUGS

Post  mramsey 11/14/2011, 2:41 am

Check out books by Jerry Baker. He promotes organic pest control methods. This will be my first year trying SFG. I am not a gardener but with the cost of food going up up up i figure this can only help.

Here is a couple of items from one of his books.

Cabbage Worm Killer
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Combine and sprinkle on cabbage. After they eat it, the flour expands and kills the worms.

To fight aphids, I plant a little basil nearby. I have 10 times less aphids on my lettuce when I do this.

Hope tis helps. I have found quit a few folks here in Ga who have his books and use his methods for pest control inside and outside the home.
mramsey

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 1/10/2012, 12:30 pm

a couple chickens can take care of them worms but besure you fence them out of your tomatoes they like them green and red tomatoes better then the worms cyclops
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down