Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Question about beans (cooking not growing) Toplef10Question about beans (cooking not growing) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Question about beans (cooking not growing) I22gcj10Question about beans (cooking not growing) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Question about beans (cooking not growing) Toplef10Question about beans (cooking not growing) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Question about beans (cooking not growing) I22gcj10Question about beans (cooking not growing) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Question about beans (cooking not growing)

4 posters

Go down

Question about beans (cooking not growing) Empty Question about beans (cooking not growing)

Post  middlemamma 4/20/2011, 9:45 pm

Here is my dumb question.

When I cook beans I usually cook northern or pinto and I cook them all day with onions and spices and we eat them with cornbread. The beans are WAY cooked easily fall apart, they could be mushed up and refried at this point.

How do you cook beans so they are like you get in the can? I have some recipes that call for canned black beans, and dried are so much cheaper. So are there instructions to cook beans so that they don't get mushy and are cooked but not fall apart soft?
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Question about beans (cooking not growing) Empty Question about beans (cooking not growing)

Post  janefss2002 4/20/2011, 10:14 pm

Actually this was a quest for me a few years ago. I found that pressure cooking the beans worked the best. There are many great recipes for pressure cooking beans in books by Lorna Sass.

Here is her website so you can get a feel of her recipes.
http://www.lornasass.com/

Soak the beans overnight and pressure cook with whatever seasonings (or as few as you want) and you are there. I freeze the results in 1 cup and 2 cup amounts for recipes.

jane
janefss2002
janefss2002

Female Posts : 116

Back to top Go down

Question about beans (cooking not growing) Empty cooking beans

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/20/2011, 10:24 pm

Man, I don't know off hand, I just do it. Obviously from that statement, you know I'm OLD! Actually, black beans seem to cook faster than pintos. Here's what I do: The night before, I pick over the beans, and rinse them well (don't even ask how I know some clods of dirt can sneak past if you don't eyeball every bean!). Then I put them into the pot in which I intend to cook them, add water to about 1/2 to 1 inch above the beans, put the lid on the pot, and ignore them until the next day. Most likely the following day will show the beans have absorbed a lot of the water and will be above the water line, but pour off the water anyway and add fresh water and the seasonings you intend (but not salt) like, onion, any other aromatic vegetable, garlic, whatever. Put pot on the stove and bring to a boil, then turn down and let simmer gently for.....now here's where it helps to be OLD.....enough time to become cooked, but not mushy. My best advice is to start checking them after an hour (also about time to add any salt or tomato products you want to add--both of which can slow the beans' cooking. How long it takes to cook beans depends on several factors, and one of the most variable is: How Old Is the Bean, which translates to, how much residual moisture remains in this mostly dry item. Best indicator for a fully cooked bean is this...take a couple of individual beans into a spoon, blow on the beans, if the skins peel back from the wind from your breath, the beans are done....or you've been eating too much garlic.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  janefss2002 4/20/2011, 10:28 pm

P.S.
I'm saying check out Lorna Sass recipes or cookbooks, not necessarily her "transforming your life" part. Her pressure cooking recipes are awesome. You get the texture of canned beans but you can control your salt, herbs, seasonings, etc. And save money by using dried beans.

Jane
janefss2002
janefss2002

Female Posts : 116

Back to top Go down

Question about beans (cooking not growing) Empty Re: Question about beans (cooking not growing)

Post  herblover 5/29/2011, 4:09 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Man, I don't know off hand, I just do it. Obviously from that statement, you know I'm OLD! Actually, black beans seem to cook faster than pintos. Here's what I do: The night before, I pick over the beans, and rinse them well (don't even ask how I know some clods of dirt can sneak past if you don't eyeball every bean!). Then I put them into the pot in which I intend to cook them, add water to about 1/2 to 1 inch above the beans, put the lid on the pot, and ignore them until the next day. Most likely the following day will show the beans have absorbed a lot of the water and will be above the water line, but pour off the water anyway and add fresh water and the seasonings you intend (but not salt) like, onion, any other aromatic vegetable, garlic, whatever. Put pot on the stove and bring to a boil, then turn down and let simmer gently for.....now here's where it helps to be OLD.....enough time to become cooked, but not mushy. My best advice is to start checking them after an hour (also about time to add any salt or tomato products you want to add--both of which can slow the beans' cooking. How long it takes to cook beans depends on several factors, and one of the most variable is: How Old Is the Bean, which translates to, how much residual moisture remains in this mostly dry item. Best indicator for a fully cooked bean is this...take a couple of individual beans into a spoon, blow on the beans, if the skins peel back from the wind from your breath, the beans are done....or you've been eating too much garlic.

This is the method I use as well, although I don't add anything to the beans. I then freeze them for use is recipes and the freeze/thaw helps to tenderize them a bit more.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Question about beans (cooking not growing) Empty Re: Question about beans (cooking not growing)

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/29/2011, 6:35 pm

Herblover, great idea, especially if you put up a bunch of pinto beans, then when the urge moves you to brew up some Texas chili con carne, the bean side dish is already available! You may get the drift that I'm not a fan of chili cooked WITH beans, prefering beans served alongside and added by the dinner guests. That way, the beany flavor complements the chili, and isn't overwhelmed by it. Also, leftovers give one the option of Huevos Rancheros the next day: Refry the beans in your big ol' Griswald cast iron skillet. Slop some hot refried beans on a warm corn tortilla or two, top with an over-easy egg or two, slather the creation with a goodly dollop of hot chili and some shredded cheese, and serve with chopped onions, salsa, cilantro, sliced pickled jalapenos on the side. With such a breakfast, I guarantee you can work all morning in the garden with nary a hunger pang, even buillding beds and mixing Mel's Mix with a spade.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum