Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Deer Problems? Toplef10Deer Problems? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Deer Problems? I22gcj10Deer Problems? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Deer Problems? Toplef10Deer Problems? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Deer Problems? I22gcj10Deer Problems? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Deer Problems?

+3
quiltbea
Nonna.PapaVino
7 posters

Go down

Deer Problems? Empty Deer Problems?

Post  newbie 4/4/2011, 12:15 pm

Does anyone have deer that come into their yard? I am planning my first garden and need to solve this problem before I go any further. I'm think of putting a fence around the garden area but am not sure what height is necessary. Has anyone else done this or found an effective way of repelling deer? They won't be the only critter I have to worry about come to think of it.

Back to top Go down

Deer Problems? Empty Deer problem

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/4/2011, 1:17 pm

Yep, deer are a constant challenge here west of St. Helens, OR. We finally threw in the towel and had deer fencing put in around the garden. For most of our gardening years, we had a large dog or two which did a great job protecting "their turf." However, after the demise of the last four-foot friend, the deer, then the elk, began taking all our fruit and veggies. BTW, elk will even rear up, brace their front feet in an apple tree, and pull branches down so they can strip the fruit off, leaving broken branches! Hence the fence. You probably don't have to go to the extremes we did, a few steel posts like those used for barbed wire pounded into the ground around your garden, and some of the plastc "wire" sold at Ace Hardware stretched around the posts and anchored with those plastic tie thingies, with a simple gate would be a rather low-cost solution. Also, we protected one apple tree with free shipping pallets laid on the ground around the tree, slat side up. Evidently, deer are afraid of getting their feet caught and avoid stepping on the things--kinda like a cattle guard. And, last year, I anchored the plastic mesh to the sides of the arched PVC pipes forming a "hoop house" over the tomato bed--didn't know deer liked tomatoes...or broccoli...or figs...or, well, you get it. Good luck, and remember: If we feed them, shouldn't they occasionally feed us?
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Deer Problems? Empty Re: Deer Problems?

Post  quiltbea 4/4/2011, 4:52 pm

I had deer problems a couple years ago. We've had up to 5 deer at a time in our yard and eating from the birdfeeders. I had put in some dwarf fruit trees and they came and ate the tops and sides of the branches pretty badly.
I couldn't afford deer fencing so I hung Irish Spring soap in net bags from the short fencing I had around each tree. No more deer problems.
Deer Problems? 04-24-16
This is my dwarf Amalden Duke Cherry that was topped out by the deer the fall before. Its come back and we have high hopes for it.

I'd read that anti-perspirant soap has an odor offensive to deer and it was a lot cheaper than fencing, so I tried it. It worked for me.

Was I just lucky or does the odor repel them? I can't say for sure, but no problems with deer since. I've even put them hanging on poles around my raised bed garden in the back yard and no problems there either. I understand the soap needs replacing every 6 months to continue working.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 4/4/2011, 9:23 pm

we have deer around my place southcentral michigan even had a couple walk right by me when i was standing outside smokin a cig bout 20 feet away, walked right next to the garden witch hadda 4 foot plastic fence around it either they wasnt hungry or they dont like maters,peppers or broccoli. we have a bunch of hosta plants <---deer candy along a fence row on the other side of the house i have yet to see a deer anywheres near them.

boog
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 4/4/2011, 9:53 pm

I have a pack of FL deer (about half the size of what you would call small deer in your area), and honestly we get all happy/giggly when they show up (about 6am or 8pm & only after a rainy night in the meadow across the street).

Ours wont come within 200 yards of a house/yard .....guess I should count my blessings.

I cant even imagine having to deal with full size deer or elk Deer Problems? 601593
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe 4/4/2011, 10:02 pm

The deer ate my SFGs a couple years ago (first year). Once they know there is food, they keep coming back to feast. I didn't really get much my first year of SFGing as the deer ate all the lettuce just before July harvest time and ate the tops off the rest of my veggies. It was also a very cool, dark, rainy year so my veggies did not recover.

I installed a mesh deer fence which is 7 feet tall last year and found that it was effective at excluding the deer.

Fences need to be either very tall 7-10 ft to stop deer from jumping over, or enclose a small enough area that the deer don't have enough room to land inside. My mesh fence is light, see-through, and easy to open and close to access gardens. I laid sod over the bottom to hold it down and use clothes pins to hold the overlapping access flaps closed.
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Female Posts : 189

Back to top Go down

Post  marc-in-pa 4/4/2011, 11:23 pm

We back up on woods and deer and other critters are not at all shy about seeing what they can nibble on. Rather than build a fence around the boxes, I went a different route with building the fence into the boxes. Saved a little money by using the support of the boxes and also needed less fencing that way.

Deer Problems? Img_0917

A note... I'm modifying the longer sides in the coming weeks to allow the fence to be removable. I found it tough to get to the outer squares from inside when things started growing.

The fence comes up to 5 feet. I've heard that deer could jump that in a heartbeat, but no problems so far. As bullfrogbabe mentioned in the last post, I think they don't have enough of a landing strip on the inside.

More here on construction:

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t2618-first-sfg-actually-first-any-kind-of-garden

Good luck keeping Bambi away!
marc-in-pa
marc-in-pa

Male Posts : 90

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down