Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Got my Green House up Toplef10Got my Green House up 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Got my Green House up I22gcj10Got my Green House up 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Got my Green House up Toplef10Got my Green House up 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Got my Green House up I22gcj10Got my Green House up 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Got my Green House up

4 posters

Go down

Got my Green House up Empty Got my Green House up

Post  fiddleman 4/2/2011, 7:57 pm

Well, the green house was put up today, thanks to the help of the kids.
I placed it over a couple of the new squares... they should start
heating up much better now. We are in the process of replacing all of the beds, and mixing stuff up. Today was in the low 40's with a split between rain and sun. I was going to use PVC piping, but the wood was cheaper to put up, and still pretty easy when you do some pre-drilling.

Got my Green House up Greenh10

A bit of a different angle I put a small "buddy heater" inside and it heated it up to 80 degrees F in about 10 minutes. Once the soil warms up a wee bit, I am sowing carrots and getting the lettuce and peas out there!

[img]Got my Green House up Highgr10[/img]

It's still cold here... we still have snow on the ground; at least the crocus are blooming though!

[img]Got my Green House up Snowin10[/img]

I was happily surprised on how warm it was inside of the green house once the sun came out. I am mainly using it to heat up the soil (there is some black plastic on it) and frost protection. The sides can all be raised for venting if it gets too hot in there!

Yay!
Mark
fiddleman
fiddleman

Male Posts : 121

Back to top Go down

Got my Green House up Empty Re: Got my Green House up

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/2/2011, 8:33 pm

On a longer, sunnier day, you may very well want to curl up in there and take a nap. I got my hoops up to 90* one afternoon, before I had plants inside, and if mine was as big as yours......I would have napped.

It looks fabulous. My question to you, because I honestly don't know, is what is your game plan for any decent wind? Again, mine is small enough, my hoops only require a "spine" for support. Yours looks like it carries a higher wind profile, and may need more. But, like I said, I dunno.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 4/2/2011, 9:02 pm

Wow! That looks great! Like BBG said, I'd be a little worried about wind too-hopefully it will stay in one place! Okay, dumb question here- I know nothing about "greenhousing"- do you have to keep the buddy heater going the whole time or just to warm in up in there at first and then let the sun do it's thing. I'm trying to learn this stuff because I'd love to start earlier next year since the building/mixing "hard" part is done.
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  fiddleman 4/2/2011, 11:04 pm

Glendale-gardener wrote:Wow! That looks great! Like BBG said, I'd be a little worried about wind too-hopefully it will stay in one place! Okay, dumb question here- I know nothing about "greenhousing"- do you have to keep the buddy heater going the whole time or just to warm in up in there at first and then let the sun do it's thing. I'm trying to learn this stuff because I'd love to start earlier next year since the building/mixing "hard" part is done.

It does have a fair wind profile, but a lot smaller than other structures I have been in with comparable bracing. It is about 5 1/2 feet tall and only 4 feet wide, measuring about 11 feet long. It is attached with 3 screws per upright (12 uprights total) and the bracing on the sides are going into the prevailing wind. I gave it a fairly good series of shakes, and it seemed sturdy enough; the location has a pretty fair wind break to it (neighbors garage, some pines, mature maples and ash. I am supposed get some thunderstorms tomorrow, and I'll keep an eye on it, but unless the wind gust up around 40 miles an hour, I expect it will be fine. If not I'll place some guy ropes on it, I have them ready to go, but I just didn't have the time to get them out today.

I have only ever used wind row covers before in the garden before, but I have had black plastic on the beds for a week and the soil has only gained a couple of degrees, so I am going to do what Mel suggested in his book, I am going to keep the black plastic on another day then mix the warm soil to the bottom and bring the cooler stuff to the top and let that warm up, hopefully it will increase the speed in which the soil warms so I can have better germination rates. I figure another couple of weeks should bring the soil up into a plantable temperature, at which point, I will use the heater at night if it is needed for heavy freezing. I'm a bit of a cheapskate, and don't want to spend fuel heating dirt.

BBG, it was quite a treat crawling inside this after we were done building it in the 40 degree on and off drizzle, my son and I got into the walkway between the squares, and he said you know this is warmer in here than our house! Laughing He was right! and because we had been out in the cold weather for a few hours, it was extra nice... no wonder the plants like it!

Mark
fiddleman
fiddleman

Male Posts : 121

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/3/2011, 10:30 am

It's looking good! What a Face My yard looks like yours, I can hardly wait for the green!!!
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down