Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Some questions on when to do things Toplef10Some questions on when to do things 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Some questions on when to do things I22gcj10Some questions on when to do things 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Some questions on when to do things Toplef10Some questions on when to do things 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Some questions on when to do things I22gcj10Some questions on when to do things 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 10:20 am

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Some questions on when to do things

+4
BackyardBirdGardner
quiltbea
camprn
lisaphoto
8 posters

Go down

Some questions on when to do things Empty Some questions on when to do things

Post  lisaphoto 2/21/2011, 12:17 pm

This is my second year SFG, but last year I didn't really get started till later in the spring. I'm trying to figure out when to start things this year, and when to direct plant outside. For instance, some cool weather plants (example: broccolini) say plant as soon as soil is workable. Well, it's Mel's mix, so it's workable now. Do I wait, or should I plant soon. Also, some seed packets just say "early spring", what does that mean?
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Some questions on when to do things Empty Re: Some questions on when to do things

Post  camprn 2/21/2011, 1:28 pm

Greetings! In this thread Seed starting dates there are links that will bring you to various calculators for planting. Give this a look see, you will probably have a number of your questions answered. Of course if you have more questions, please ask!
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Some questions on when to do things Empty Re: Some questions on when to do things

Post  quiltbea 2/21/2011, 2:25 pm

Lisaphoto,
I always plan my starting seeds and transplanting and sowing dates according to Mel's book, his planting charts.

I make up a notebook for each week with the dates and the number of weeks it is before last frost date. With Mel's charts in front of me, I start entering crop names that should be started that particular week.

Broccoli and Cabbage can be started 12 weeks before last frost and transplanted outdoors 5 weeks before last frost. That info is entered for that week for sowing and then at the 5 weeks before date for transplanting. I have one sheet of notebook paper for each growing week.
Weather can always make a slight difference on a particular day, so its not a bible, just a handy garden tool.

I can't work with 'diggable' since there might be a great week when the soil is terrific, but many long cold weeks are ahead and freezing temps for way too long a time. I'd rather work by weeks before and after according to the charts in my area, Zone 5a. Then if there's a short cold snap, heavy weight row covers or old blankets and towels can save a crop. Works for me.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/21/2011, 4:37 pm

Personally, I grab a blank calendar in January and dedicate it to planting notes for the year. I mark in my "frost dates" and start counting backwards. But, I can't seem to keep something even this simple organized.....I still get lost as to what I should be doing when. Some questions on when to do things 601593
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 2/21/2011, 5:00 pm

I printed a VERY handy garden guide from this blog...

http://littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/2009/01/free-download-2009-spring-garden.html
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/21/2011, 5:10 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:Personally, I grab a blank calendar in January and dedicate it to planting notes for the year. I mark in my "frost dates" and start counting backwards. But, I can't seem to keep something even this simple organized.....I still get lost as to what I should be doing when. Some questions on when to do things 601593

This is what I am doing THIS year, since what I have done in the past has NOT worked! What a Face
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/21/2011, 6:26 pm

I direct planted my broccolini (broccoli raab) along with a lot of other plants in late April last year. (Could not plant sooner due to Snowmageddon, etc.)

What I found was that seeds came up when the time was right for them. I had some fears for some hot-weather plant (cucumbers, melon, etc) seeds rotting in the ground, but they too eventually showed up. Soooooo..... my suggestion is, plant your seeds in the Mel's Mix, and they'll grow! Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 2/22/2011, 9:21 am

Does anyone know if there is somewhere online I can find Mel's guide for when to plant and start everything? I borrowed the book from the library last year, and I really can't afford to buy it this year. And all I need is that guide.
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Back to top Go down

Post  jerzyjen 2/22/2011, 12:09 pm

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/e-PDGSeedStart.aspx?source=E_Calc_ReminderSeedStart_0211_CGCM

You should be able to acheive the same results from this handy online interactive list. Plug in your spring frost free date at the top and then it will tell you what date to start your seeds inside & also when to put outside.
jerzyjen
jerzyjen

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/22/2011, 2:07 pm

jerzyjen wrote:http://www.johnnyseeds.com/e-PDGSeedStart.aspx?source=E_Calc_ReminderSeedStart_0211_CGCM

You should be able to acheive the same results from this handy online interactive list. Plug in your spring frost free date at the top and then it will tell you what date to start your seeds inside & also when to put outside.

Absolutely love this link. Instantly bookmarked. Thanks so much, Jen.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 2/22/2011, 2:08 pm

Thanks everyone!
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down