Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens Toplef10making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens I22gcj10making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens Toplef10making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens I22gcj10making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

I'm making progress and gardens

+13
llama momma
clfraser
Barkie
FarmerValerie
acara
middlemamma
Furbalsmom
CarolynPhillips
boffer
camprn
BackyardBirdGardner
Megan
walshevak
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens Empty I'm making progress and gardens

Post  walshevak 2/16/2011, 4:24 pm

chairtop gardens. planted with snap peas and mesculin mix

making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens Chair_11

the 2'x18" garden on the chairs

making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens 1_12_x12

I got tired of waiting for my son to visit to build my boxes so I started with HD kits.

Mel's mix in waiting
making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens Mel_mi10

the first box
making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens 1st_bo11

box 1 and almost 2 only 4 more to go. all will be tabletops when I get the blocks unloaded from the truck
making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens 1st_2_11

some garlic planted 2 weeks ago from cloves sprouting in the fridge
making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens Garlic10

started some broccoli, borrage, sage, thyme and dill today
making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens Starte10

mesculin has spouted planted 2 weeks ago in chair top gardens
making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens Lettuc10

tomorrow I will finish box #2 and start another.

Kay
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens Empty Re: I'm making progress and gardens

Post  Megan 2/16/2011, 5:21 pm

Woohoo! So exciting. Those look wonderful. What made you decide on concrete block for your TTs? I am hope to build some myself and am thinking about various ways of supporting them.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens Empty Re: I'm making progress and gardens

Post  walshevak 2/16/2011, 5:48 pm

limited carpenter skills and nobody to help me. I can unload block and have a dolly to help get to the back yard. And can lift the beds to 2 block height by myself.

Kay
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/16/2011, 5:50 pm

I hear you. I'm probably going to have to face the power tools this year. Hopefully not cut off anything too important....
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/16/2011, 5:56 pm

I learned to use a battery powered trim saw today to cut the plywood support under the hardware cloth. btw, I'm a Fairfax City girl myself. Retired to NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/16/2011, 5:58 pm

Good on you! I'm a transplant, but it's an interesting place, for sure.

I am impatiently waiting for my photos to upload so I can show everyone the mess I'm facing in my backyard. Never thought I'd be showing that off! Smile
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/16/2011, 6:12 pm

I saw something at Lowes today that I may copy. One of their displays had blocks stacked 2 high and landscape timbers resting in the block openings. Made it look like a rustic log fence. I'm going to investigate deck timbers and see if I can get 10' ones. That way I can rest 2 4x4 boxes on top of the timbers and not the block. I may need to go to Lowes tomorrow and take a picture so I can contemplate the look. Really dressed up the bare block.

Kay
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/16/2011, 6:18 pm

I would love to see photos of that. Please share if/when you take them!
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/16/2011, 6:43 pm

Ladies, don't panic over the power tools. Just use your common sense.

Amazing what inspiration and motivation can overcome, though, isn't it? Git'r'Dun. And, congrats on the courage to get out instead of sitting, waiting, and complaining. Great positive attitude!!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/16/2011, 6:48 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:Ladies, don't panic over the power tools. Just use your common sense.

Amazing what inspiration and motivation can overcome, though, isn't it? Git'r'Dun. And, congrats on the courage to get out instead of sitting, waiting, and complaining. Great positive attitude!!

You're making me giggle, now. I feel much more comfortable with a scalpel or a bone saw than a power saw. But, same difference. ;-) I'm sure you didn't mean to talk down to us poor, incompetent wimmin, right?

Last edited by Megan on 2/16/2011, 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/16/2011, 6:53 pm

No....it was meant to be encouraging. Kind of the "you can do it" speech. And, in reading your sig....just replace "seeds" with "power tools" or "bone saw" and you're good to go.

Now, if I had said, "Really? Power tools are a man's thing.....get back in the kitchen." THAT would have been talking down to you. My wife has beaten all of the Archie Bunker out of me.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/16/2011, 6:58 pm

I would believe that, if you hadn't prefaced your remark with "Ladies". Go back to your wife, I think you need another beating. ;-) But thanks for the encouragement, it is always appreciated!
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/16/2011, 7:06 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:Ladies, don't panic over the power tools. Just use your common sense.

I do pretty good with the screwdriver/drill and the stapler. All came in the Craftsman Combo I got for Mothers Day in 2004. Today was the first time with the trim saw. Next up, the recipricating saw. Can I use that on the electrical conduit to make my trellises?

Kay
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/16/2011, 7:09 pm

I used a grinder to cut our conduit. A reciprocating saw can be used so long as you have a blade that can cut metal.

One thing I learned last year is that my conduit sank down in the mix a little bit. I aimed for a length 6" over my head (I'm tall) and I think in the future I'd go for a full foot.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/16/2011, 7:10 pm

walshevak wrote:
I do pretty good with the screwdriver/drill and the stapler. All came in the Craftsman Combo I got for Mothers Day in 2004. Today was the first time with the trim saw. Next up, the recipricating saw. Can I use that on the electrical conduit to make my trellises?

Kay
I used a hacksaw, it was easy to control and the metal is actually quite soft and easy to cut through.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/16/2011, 7:12 pm

walshevak wrote: Can I use that on the electrical conduit to make my trellises?
Kay

You sure can. Use a fine toothed blade made for thin metal-it will say so on the blade. Figure out how to safely secure your conduit so it doesn't bounce around.

A reciprocating saw is my wife's favorite power saw. She feels comfortable using it, knowing that she won't cut a finger off. She used to 'borrow' mine so often out of my work truck, that I had to buy her her own!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/16/2011, 7:14 pm

I used a good old hacksaw...no power for me....lol. I wouldn't use the reciprocating saw on conduit/metal, either, unless the blade was made specifically for metal.....which is why I used the hacksaw. I don't have any other options at the moment.

That reciprocator is great for anything else you want to destroy from what I've been told. I have some buddies that love doing demolition work with them.

But, then again, I'm not much of a "power guy." I'm more of a "finesse" type. Shocked
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/18/2011, 4:24 pm

Temp hit low 70's today. I finished boxes #2 and #3 and got started on box #4 before I ran out of hardware cloth. I even made a bug net hoop over one. I see a trip to LOWES in my future. I would have filled in the rest of the day making my mels mix, but it was way too windy.

Chives come up in their pot, but need to be thinned. I've had this pot of chives since 2003. Survived a Chicago winter before coming to NC. Found some collards in my flower beds. I spilled some seed last fall and just swept it off the porch. They came up , but the caterpillers did such a number on them I didn't expect to see them this spring. But of course they are in the wrong place.

I really need a calm day now. I've got enough boxes to start direct seeding if I can get my MM made.
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/18/2011, 8:59 pm

Everything looks great.

The only power tool that I am afraid of is the Nail Gun. BIG ONE. I was nailing some hand rails a few years ago and shot my index finger in the knuckle. ---I am getting over it slowly but surely. That knuckle had arthritis for a few years but getting better too.

I like your idea of using wood across the blocks to make room for two beds instead of one. I would use the landscape timbers ====less likely to sag in the middle later on.

Have fun.

CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/21/2011, 9:32 am

Idea I may steal to hold the beds. Dresses up the block.
making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens Idea_i10

all six bed put together
making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens All_6_11

bug net bed before windmaking progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens Bug_ne10

bug net bed after wind. Who knew bridal veil tulle could catch the wind that much. May have to modify my support system.
making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens Bug_ne11

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/21/2011, 3:00 pm

Poor Walshevak, that wind can be a pain in the toosh. Twisted Evil
I would have thought the wind would have just passed through the tulle, not picked it up and thrown it around. I hope you find a simple way of stabilizing it, because I wanted to use some tulle on at least one bed, that will have brassicas. making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens 773650 Trying to outwit the cabbage worms.

Oh My Gosh, I just saw the Table Top that fell off the cinderblock supports! Glad you were not out there playing with the Table Top when that happened.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 2/21/2011, 3:21 pm

Hopefully when filled with your MM and then watered it would be too heavy for that to happen and the tule will work great! I know I have heard others use it successfully.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/21/2011, 6:48 pm

walshevak wrote:Idea I may steal to hold the beds. Dresses up the block.

Hi walshevak,

Love the dress-up idea, but now that I see your photos, I am concerned.

I am pretty sure that cinderblock is designed to bear weight with the holes pointing up. I would hate to see one come crashing down under a bed filled with Mel's Mix.

Also, those beds do not look all that level, and the ground beneath them has not been compacted or prepared. I don't know how much frost heave or subsidence/soil compression you get in your area when the soil gets wet, but the blocks could de-level themselves even more once they are carrying a full load, especially when standing up-ended like that.

Hope I am not being paranoid, just don't want to see you or anyone else getting hurt. I am afraid you are going to have more come down on you. (Part of my job is keeping an eye out for dangerous installations, albeit in a very different venue...but it was enough to trip my Dangermouse alarm!)

p.s. Your boxes are BEAUTIFUL and I am jealous! Hope mine will be half as nice.

Last edited by Megan on 2/21/2011, 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/21/2011, 8:09 pm

The lady at the fabric shop where I bought the tulle said that I'm not the first one to use it that way. Cabbage worms decimated every bit of salad mix I planted last summer. Never got more than a few leaves from several plantings.
The wind has been too much to try and fix things today and it's supposed to rain tomorrow. The swales in my yard are caused by the leach field of the septic system. May have to move the bed to a side area away from it. Will investigate Wed.

Kay
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/25/2011, 5:55 am

The boxes have been stablelized and I have my first "real" sq ft box completed. Just need to plant some cool weather crops. Next project will be trellis.

making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens Stabli11

making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens Imgp1111

making progress  gardens - I'm making progress and gardens Imgp1110
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next