Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do you keep notes or journal about your garden? Toplef10Do you keep notes or journal about your garden? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do you keep notes or journal about your garden? I22gcj10Do you keep notes or journal about your garden? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do you keep notes or journal about your garden? Toplef10Do you keep notes or journal about your garden? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do you keep notes or journal about your garden? I22gcj10Do you keep notes or journal about your garden? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Do you keep notes or journal about your garden?

+8
boffer
pattipan
Patty from Yorktown
Garden Angel
Chopper
acara
junequilt
NAR56
12 posters

Go down

Do you keep notes or journal about your garden? Empty Do you keep notes or journal about your garden?

Post  NAR56 9/24/2010, 5:45 pm

Does anyone keep notes like when they plant their plants and germination rates so next year's planting can be changed to better your chances of success? Or does everyone just "wing it"?

I only ask because this is my first year planting a fall garden. I researched the average dates to plant in my area, but only a few seeds sprouted. I replanted a month later and had better luck (I think because it was still to hot where I am).

I was thinking about taking notes or journal so next year I will not waste my time or seeds. Just curious on how others garden, thanks. thinking
NAR56
NAR56

Back to top Go down

Do you keep notes or journal about your garden? Empty Do you keep notes or journal about your garden?

Post  junequilt 9/24/2010, 5:51 pm

I always mean to, but it gets away from me. Do you keep notes or journal about your garden? Icon_redface It's a great idea, though!
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Do you keep notes or journal about your garden? Empty Re: Do you keep notes or journal about your garden?

Post  acara 9/24/2010, 6:07 pm

I'm assuming there is no 'animosity' towards other garden sites here & we can post other outside links???

Check out my gardens on folia: http://myfolia.com/gardener/Acara

(mods please remove if this is a TOS violation)
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Do you keep notes or journal about your garden? Empty Re: Do you keep notes or journal about your garden?

Post  Chopper 9/24/2010, 6:32 pm

We take all the help we can. Other people have mentioned folia before. I thought of it but I actually already have something pretty good in place.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden Angel 9/24/2010, 7:18 pm

I just keep a record of when and what I planted just so I can keep track of the time it takes to sprout the seeds or how long it took to grow. Also if I direct seeded or transplanted.
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 9/24/2010, 7:36 pm

Hi,
When I first moved to the South I kept a garden journal. The climate is so different from what I was used to. As the years have gone by I tend to write in it once in the spring and once in the fall. I still find it helpful to look up plants (tags or packaging are kept) and their notes to see if I should plant them again. I also keep a list of plants that are mole and vole food. Sometimes I take pictures or paste in newspaper articles on a topic. My records are not so detailed to track planting times or germination rates. I also keep a packet of leftover empty seed packages, labeled from gardens past. Happy gardening.

Patty in Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 9/24/2010, 7:44 pm

I made a diagram of my SFG and wrote in the squares when things were planted. Made notes in the margins and on the back as to what did well...what to try (or not) next year...successive planting dates, etc. Works for me.

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/24/2010, 8:25 pm

pattipan wrote:I made a diagram of my SFG and wrote in the squares when things were planted. Made notes in the margins and on the back as to what did well...what to try (or not) next year...successive planting dates, etc. Works for me.

pattipan

I did the same thing but in excel. Then I cut and pasted the whole garden - blank - until I had 4 identical setups. They represent one season each(Spring/Summer, Fall/Winter). So when I want to have fun, I plan for the future and when I plant I make sure each square is filled in correctly and add dates of planting. There is also room - in the aisles - for notes. So far, so good.

Carrots

Broccoli

cilantro and dill

Lettuce

Lettuce

Spinach

Cabbage

Celery

Garlic

Cabbage

Celery

Broccoli

Carrots

Beets

Carrots

9/23/2010

Peas

Peas

Peas

Sept/Oct

Last edited by Chopper on 9/24/2010, 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/24/2010, 8:28 pm

acara wrote:I'm assuming there is no 'animosity' towards other garden sites here & we can post other outside links???

Check out my gardens on folia: http://myfolia.com/gardener/Acara

(mods please remove if this is a TOS violation)

From boffer the admin:

This is what you agreed to when you joined this forum, above and beyond the legalistic crap:

Please read this part:

• 1. This is a family friendly forum. Always has been, always will be. Please post accordingly.

• 2. The founder of the forum worked hard to create an atmosphere that is friendly, fun, supportive, and positive. Please do your best to support that philosophy.

• 3. We have an off-topic forum for conversations that aren't SFG specific. However, as with most forums, we ask that the topics of politics, religion, and others that invariably lead to heated arguments, not be discussed.

• 4. No Soliciting

• 5. We encourage and value your participation, and ask that you respect our guidelines.

This is from the founder of the forum, stating the purpose of the SFG forum:
...a place where Square Foot Gardeners help other Square Foot Gardeners and spread the word to all the world.
You can find the entire quote here.

If what you are linking to can be beneficial to SFGers, bring it on!

Last edited by boffer on 9/27/2010, 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 9/24/2010, 8:34 pm

Good to know .... most forums aren't that way, as I sure some of the forum-frequent-fliers are aware.

Didn't want to go tipping the sacred-cow Wink
acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/24/2010, 8:47 pm

NAR56 wrote:Does anyone keep notes like when they plant their plants and germination rates so next year's planting can be changed to better your chances of success? Or does everyone just "wing it"?

From boffer the gardener:

I garden on the "wing it" side. I'm consistent about using Mel's Mix and am happy with the results. But the weather is the major influence on my veggie gardens' harvest, and I have no control over it. Detailed notes don't help improve my harvests. I'm happy to have a 'feel' for when it's time to do whatever..
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 9/24/2010, 8:55 pm

I have a lot of notes, but I keep them to identify the "sweet spots" in my yard .. ...

example ..... "Location "x" on "y" exposure of house .... "don't plant anything within 4' or the corner, or the sun will burn it up from May to Sept"....... that kind of stuff

This is the first time I've every kept actual seed/plant stats .... and it's probably only because that website I posted made it so easy....
acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/25/2010, 6:35 am

I have a garden notebook that I write in nearly every day. Details of the weather conditions, rainfall amounts, temperature are noted. My garden layout & planting dates are written on sheet paper that i keep in acrylic 3 ring binder sleeves so that I can take the pages out to make notes and the paper gets less messy when sit in the garden to to read or write the notes. Narrative notes are on basic lined paper. I am trying to be more detailed about keeping track of problems such as signs of probable disease, interventions, watering, yields, etc. there are also recipes in a separate section of the notebook. It will make interesting reading Shocked in January. lots o
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 9/25/2010, 12:32 pm

I make a grid replicating my squares in word, print it off and then write in what goes where, date planted, and then "notes" on the sides. in notes I state what tasted good, what took forever to germ, etc, etc. What I would replant, and what I wouldnt replant. I have some laminated sheets that I used a wet erase marker and keep in bags next to my boxes Smile
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwirose 9/25/2010, 4:19 pm

I started off being all proper about my journal - it lasted - oh - about a week. Now I am just incredibly proud that I have a map of what I planted where. Now, until today, it was the same bit of paper I used since spring, I have just scribbled out and written over - until today.

Today I put it in the computer and printed it off - excell grid format - nothing in it but the seed I planted. That is doing well for me - I am so proud of myself. baby steps I say Very Happy
kiwirose

Female Posts : 142

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 9/25/2010, 5:06 pm

I printed out a neat little garden planner and was pretty good about taking simple notes for awhile, between that and printouts of my garden grid with planting dates. I think the most useful notes I have, though, are on my Google document seed list, where I've periodically gone back and made notes about what's grown well or poorly.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  NAR56 9/25/2010, 5:26 pm

Thanks for all who posted and shared how they keep track of their garden.
Very Happy

I did what Pattipan and Chopper did in Excel. Nothing fancy just facts like: when I planted, what square I planted it in, etc. I wrote notes at the bottom of the page for reference for the following year. I like to keep things simple but effective.
NAR56
NAR56

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down