Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Problems with Spinach and Lettuce Toplef10Problems with Spinach and Lettuce 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Problems with Spinach and Lettuce I22gcj10Problems with Spinach and Lettuce 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Problems with Spinach and Lettuce Toplef10Problems with Spinach and Lettuce 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Problems with Spinach and Lettuce I22gcj10Problems with Spinach and Lettuce 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Problems with Spinach and Lettuce

4 posters

Go down

Problems with Spinach and Lettuce Empty Problems with Spinach and Lettuce

Post  erbarnett 9/19/2010, 3:10 pm

My very first SFG is off to a good start. It was planted on August 30. The Swiss Chard, radishes, beets, Ruby Red lettuce, and pansies are doing well. However, the Bloomsdale spinach and Black Seeded Simpson lettuce have not even sprouted. I planted them very carefully at the correct depth, have kept them moist, and even put the cardboard over the square right after they were planted as Mel B. suggested. The seeds came from a well known company and are dated December 31, 2010. The weather here has been in the eighties for the most part but now it is dropping into the fifties and sixties at night. My zone is 6b. I did not soak the spinach seeds. Should I have done that? Are the seeds duds? Is it too late to plant some other plants or should I wait a little longer for them to sprout? I really wanted some spinach plants.

Please help.
erbarnett

Male Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Problems with Spinach and Lettuce Empty Re: Problems with Spinach and Lettuce

Post  Chopper 9/19/2010, 3:17 pm

Sometimes s**t happens. I planted celery seeds and after a month gave up on them but did not replant the squares. I now have several very small celery seedlings. Who knew?

They may come up yet, but were I you, I would quickly add some new seed to the squares and be extra vigilant about keeping them moist. Seeds either sprout or they don't. I do not waste a minute worrying about it. If nothing is happening, I just add more. If the first and second batch all eventually sprout, then you may have to thin a bit.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/19/2010, 4:29 pm

It sounds like it is still a bit too warm for the spinach and lettuce. Try again in a few weeks. Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 9/19/2010, 8:03 pm

erbarnett wrote:My very first SFG is off to a good start. It was planted on August 30. The Swiss Chard, radishes, beets, Ruby Red lettuce, and pansies are doing well. However, the Bloomsdale spinach and Black Seeded Simpson lettuce have not even sprouted. I planted them very carefully at the correct depth, have kept them moist, and even put the cardboard over the square right after they were planted as Mel B. suggested. The seeds came from a well known company and are dated December 31, 2010. The weather here has been in the eighties for the most part but now it is dropping into the fifties and sixties at night. My zone is 6b. I did not soak the spinach seeds. Should I have done that? Are the seeds duds? Is it too late to plant some other plants or should I wait a little longer for them to sprout? I really wanted some spinach plants.

Please help.

erbarnett,
I planted spinach about the same time (Sept. 2), but I stuck the seeds in the soil just before a rain (albeit a brief one!) and they sprouted up in less than a week. I did water everyday though, because it's been in the 80's here just like where you are. We're having cool night temps too. I planted a baby leaf type called Catalina.

Most spinach does require cool temps to sprout (check the seed packet for your type), it may just be the heat. What I would do is dig down where you planted a couple of the seeds and see if you can see any activity. If not, replant. I would not wait a couple of weeks, do it this week.

If you really want to be sure to have some spinach this Fall, maybe you might try a different type too, just for insurance. If you have plenty of seeds, you can experiment. Try pre-soaking some and see if it makes a difference. If you want to check viability, place a few seeds on a folded wet paper towel, stick it in a plastic bag, put it in a cool place in your house and wait. But honestly...I would try the above first!

I planted spinach about the same time last year and were were eating up through December 19...which was the first in a series of snowstorms. It actually lived through the winter (and we had record snows!), so I am sure you still have time to replant. It was our first harvest from the SFG this spring! I plant mine in little rows, because we like it for salad. I thin as we eat. :-)

Problems with Spinach and Lettuce Spinac10

pattipan

pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down