Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Glasgrl's 2010 SFG Toplef10Glasgrl's 2010 SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Glasgrl's 2010 SFG I22gcj10Glasgrl's 2010 SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Glasgrl's 2010 SFG Toplef10Glasgrl's 2010 SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Glasgrl's 2010 SFG I22gcj10Glasgrl's 2010 SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Glasgrl's 2010 SFG

4 posters

Go down

Glasgrl's 2010 SFG Empty Glasgrl's 2010 SFG

Post  glasgrl 9/5/2010, 2:50 pm

It's time to start winterizing parts of the garden, but I wanted to take some pictures for next year's reference first. The garden is in the area behind our garage. The yard is fenced in, so I attached the trellises to the fence. The ground is covered with gravel (landscape fabric beneath). There's still room to expand along the left-hand side and part of the far back (and I've already planned all of it for next year). Very Happy

Glasgrl's 2010 SFG 2010ga11
Strawberries in the two front boxes, carrots and bush beans in the middle left, herbs in the middle right, more herbs in the back right, raspberries against the back fence (hidden by the lemongrass), and tomatoes, pole beans, peppers, zucchini, eggplant, and cucumbers against the side fence.

Glasgrl's 2010 SFG Strawb10
Strawberries! The middle is empty for next year's strawberry pyramids. These strawberries had a VERY rough start: I purchased them from a farm, and when I arrived to pick them up, the woman had already dug up all 100 of the plants with a PITCHFORK and put them bare-root into plastic bags. It was dark, so I couldn't plant them until first light. I babied them for a month before they looked like they'd live. But I followed Mel's advice, snipping runners and blooms, and they finally flourished. I'm letting them fruit just once before winter, and hopefully I'll get some nice strawberry jam!

Glasgrl's 2010 SFG Lemong10
The raspberries are partly visible in the back, left side. In the front is cinnamon basil, followed by oregano, thyme and other types of basil (all of which are barely visible). The lemongrass won't stop growing! Tomatoes in the back.

Glasgrl's 2010 SFG Tomato10
8 different types of tomatoes, onions have already been harvested.

Glasgrl's 2010 SFG Zucchi10
Zucchini monster! It actually starts just in front of the tomatoes. I'm enjoying watching how far it grows.

Glasgrl's 2010 SFG Spider10
This little beauty just took up residence in the back corner between the raspberries and tomatoes. She's quite accommodating, and I'm careful not to disturb her web when picking ripe, yellow raspberries off the vines.

Glasgrl's 2010 SFG Grassh10
And this melodious grasshopper was singing on the lemongrass when I was taking pictures! He's a clever little guy: I'd look on the top of the blade, he'd flip to the bottom. I'd look at the bottom, he's be back on top. This continued for about 5 minutes before I kept still, and he decided that I was safe.

That's all for this year! The peppers will be coming out soon (they really bombed this year), and garlic will go in. This was my first year veggie gardening, and I learned a lot!

THANK YOU, everyone!

-Michelle
glasgrl
glasgrl

Back to top Go down

Glasgrl's 2010 SFG Empty Re: Glasgrl's 2010 SFG

Post  chocolatepop 9/5/2010, 9:27 pm

Shocked AWESOME
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  glasgrl 9/5/2010, 9:47 pm

Thank you!!!

There were failures: the peppers performed dismally due to a bacterial disease. By the time they recovered after I treated them, it was too late. One, poor pepper is trying to grow to maturity! LOL

Right now, the cucumbers are rapidly dying off (I looked up what was causing it, but now I've forgotten), although they're so close to the end of the season, anyway, that I'm just letting them go (I have 4 large plastic bags full of cukes in the fridge right now). Also, the zucchini has contracted powdery mildew (I water with a hose). Again, I don't care enough to treat at this point.

The strawberries came with brown-spot disease, but I've treated them twice, and all it resulted in was odd leaf growth. I read that as long as you can keep it to a minimum and it doesn't seem to affect the berries, that it's okay to leave it that way.

And I HATE Japanese Beetles!!! Next spring I'm putting milky spore powder on the lawn.

Now that I've made it sound like a disease incubator, I am quite happy with how the garden performed. Smile I'm very lucky to have a store called Brew & Grow nearby (they're company truck has a logo of angry, maniacal-looking cartoon tomatoes on it). They have many types of compost as well as vermiculite. Not cheap, unfortunately, but I'm in this for the long haul.

And I looked up that spider: she's (it's a girl) a Common Garden Spider orb-weaver. Extremely common in Britain and in every northern country.

-Michelle
glasgrl
glasgrl

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 9/5/2010, 9:51 pm

I am all over you hating the japanese beetles, but I think MP takes a couple years to work, but better than nothing! I plan on doing it this fall AND next spring.

i found that simple baking powder, water, oil mix helped with PM. We have it too, silly Midwest weather. My cukes had downy mildew Sad So i got some odd veggies and not many either.

That spider gives me the creeps. I am NOT a spider person. Give me a snake any day...

how is the rest of your garden?
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  glasgrl 9/5/2010, 10:28 pm

The rest has done pretty well (all floral). So much of it was "holding beds" that have now been broken up since we just had a deck installed (and a back door! We have direct access to the backyard now! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy )

I'm about to start in on a shade garden by the side of the house. Many plants are sitting in pots waiting to go in. Some of the plants that were moved for the deck have now been planted against the far back fence (which eventually runs to the veggie garden and supports the tomatoes). The only thing I've really had problems with is one lilac bush: it's leaves have turned brown and crunchy and are falling off, all of them. I looked up lilac diseases, but I haven't found anything that looks as severe as this. There are 3 other lilacs nearby (all different varieties), and they're all doing well.

And a bunch of hostas are chilling out in the kiddie wading pool, waiting for the shade garden to be ready!

-Michelle
glasgrl
glasgrl

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 9/5/2010, 10:41 pm

Your garden is beautiful! We got a good harvest, but it wasn't nearly that visually pleasing! Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/6/2010, 12:05 am

Gorgeous. The lemon grass is interesting. I would love to find out more about its culinary possibilities.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  glasgrl 9/9/2010, 11:37 pm

Chopper wrote:Gorgeous. The lemon grass is interesting. I would love to find out more about its culinary possibilities.

It's used in Thai cooking. I thought that I would start to experiment with that this year, but I got ahead of myself.

When I pulled/cut the lemon grass, my hands smelled like lemon Pledge! Laughing

-Michelle
glasgrl
glasgrl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down