Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
"Interesting" vistor in compost pile  - Page 2 Toplef10"Interesting" vistor in compost pile  - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

"Interesting" vistor in compost pile  - Page 2 I22gcj10"Interesting" vistor in compost pile  - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
"Interesting" vistor in compost pile  - Page 2 Toplef10"Interesting" vistor in compost pile  - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

"Interesting" vistor in compost pile  - Page 2 I22gcj10"Interesting" vistor in compost pile  - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

"Interesting" vistor in compost pile

+14
bullfrogbabe
Furbalsmom
Old Hippie
camprn
Nicola
Megan
trustinhart
LaFee
middlemamma
acara
boffer
elliephant
martha
Retired Member 1
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"Interesting" vistor in compost pile  - Page 2 Empty Re: "Interesting" vistor in compost pile

Post  bullfrogbabe 9/6/2010, 3:58 pm

The original speciman that started out this thread sure looks like a grub...aka some sort of beetle larval stage. We get smaller versions from the various beetles we have here that eat the roots of grass or burrow into old stumps.
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Female Posts : 189

Back to top Go down

"Interesting" vistor in compost pile  - Page 2 Empty Re: "Interesting" vistor in compost pile

Post  Retired Member 1 9/7/2010, 9:22 am

bullfrogbabe wrote:The original speciman that started out this thread sure looks like a grub...aka some sort of beetle larval stage. We get smaller versions from the various beetles we have here that eat the roots of grass or burrow into old stumps.

Well, yeah -- if you'd read a few posts further down, you would have seen a pic of the adult -- a rhino beetle. I'd still rather them than a 4-5" bright yellow slug!

Folks, I ended up pulling 26 larvae from that one compost pile--that was one busy beetle mama. Rolling Eyes Half are in another compost pile and half went to grub/beetle heaven. I figured a dozen rhino beetles would be enough for me!
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 9/7/2010, 10:55 am

Oh, yuck! Razz
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago 9/7/2010, 12:04 pm

I lived my whole life in FL until recently, I know all about those palmetto bugs. I'll never forget the day in the 2nd grade, while we were saying the pledge to the flag one dropped from the ceiling into my teachers hair. You can imagine it was hilarious to a room full of 2nd graders!

Actually the bugs here in IL are just as bad if not worse than FL. We have a really bad fly problem in the summer. They're worse than any bug problem I ever had in FL.
SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 9/7/2010, 12:54 pm

Oh goody. We could color-coordinate our slugs.

Here's one of the monsters I had to deal with this spring -- one of my "frat boys":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Arion_rufus_%28Dourbes%29.jpg

Beer doesn't kill them....they drink it and party harder. Ugh.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

"Interesting" vistor in compost pile  - Page 2 Empty "Interesting" visitor

Post  junequilt 9/7/2010, 1:40 pm

Yesterday I watered several of our 4x4 beds. One of them is largely populated with a rambling tomatillo. After I had spent quite a bit of time bent over soaking the mix under the tomatillo, I straightened up and suddenly caught sight of something green on my shoulder. It surprised more than frightened me, but I guess I gave a bit of a shriek, because DH came running. It was a big tobacco hornworm -- must've been on the tomatillo -- inching its way down my shoulder. Ecccch! "Interesting" vistor in compost pile  - Page 2 Icon_tongue

DH dispatched him (or her) neatly with scissors. I didn't even get slimed in the process!
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 9/7/2010, 5:51 pm

Ugh! I (almost) wish I had that problem... my tomatillos aren't doing well.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 9/8/2010, 9:22 am

junequilt wrote:Yesterday I watered several of our 4x4 beds. One of them is largely populated with a rambling tomatillo. After I had spent quite a bit of time bent over soaking the mix under the tomatillo, I straightened up and suddenly caught sight of something green on my shoulder. It surprised more than frightened me, but I guess I gave a bit of a shriek, because DH came running. It was a big tobacco hornworm -- must've been on the tomatillo -- inching its way down my shoulder. Ecccch! "Interesting" vistor in compost pile  - Page 2 Icon_tongue

DH dispatched him (or her) neatly with scissors. I didn't even get slimed in the process!

Oh, my -- I think I would have died on the spot. I handle them with gloves, but to have one on me? Bletch!
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 9/8/2010, 12:32 pm

Holy Schmoly.....yuk yuk yuk....never seen a slug like that....ew ew ew.

Well...I guess everywhere has it's bugs....and we get used to 'em don't we?

I imagine on some level although not good for our gardens all these critters play a role. I just wisg they would play it away from me. LOL
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 9/8/2010, 12:36 pm

The good news is that I also have hedgehogs...who consider slugs to be a delicacy, and turn up their noses at tomatoes and lettuce!
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 9/9/2010, 10:20 am

junequilt wrote:Yesterday I watered several of our 4x4 beds. One of them is largely populated with a rambling tomatillo. After I had spent quite a bit of time bent over soaking the mix under the tomatillo, I straightened up and suddenly caught sight of something green on my shoulder. It surprised more than frightened me, but I guess I gave a bit of a shriek, because DH came running. It was a big tobacco hornworm -- must've been on the tomatillo -- inching its way down my shoulder. Ecccch! "Interesting" vistor in compost pile  - Page 2 Icon_tongue

Ok the "bit of a shriek" lolololol from me would have been a full on scream, then I would flick it off and gross myself out some more. lololololol Man !!!
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 9/9/2010, 11:01 am

Insert visions of Ha-v-v doing the heebie-jeebie dance. bounce hyper boogie woogie
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 9/13/2010, 4:57 pm

You know, slugs are pretty gross and I would likely do a short heebie jeebie shudder from a big slug or a big tomato worm, but a big spider would get me full on heebie jeebied! Especially an unexpected spider.
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

"Interesting" vistor in compost pile  - Page 2 Empty "Interesting" vistor in compost pile

Post  junequilt 9/13/2010, 5:35 pm

Gosh, I guess it's a good thing I didn't take photos of the golden orb spider girl who guarded my tomatoes and peppers for most of the summer! About a week after I noticed she'd spun an egg sac, she disappeared. Hopefully she (or her offspring) will be back next year! But NOT on me -- I draw the line there. "Interesting" vistor in compost pile  - Page 2 Icon_tongue
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2