Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Updated pic of my out of control SFG Toplef10Updated pic of my out of control SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Updated pic of my out of control SFG I22gcj10Updated pic of my out of control SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Updated pic of my out of control SFG Toplef10Updated pic of my out of control SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Updated pic of my out of control SFG I22gcj10Updated pic of my out of control SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Updated pic of my out of control SFG

5 posters

Go down

Updated pic of my out of control SFG Empty Updated pic of my out of control SFG

Post  1chichi 6/5/2010, 11:53 pm

Link to UPDATED pics of some of my plants.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1chichi/sets/72157624087926717/

It's a jungle in there! Updated pic of my out of control SFG Icon_surprised
Updated pic of my out of control SFG Sfg_ve10
I didn't prune the tomatoes when they were small, and now they have taken over the bed. I did some pruning today, but it was very difficult to tell what was what in there. I am trying to open it up more in the center.
The Early Girl & Better Boy have 5 or 6 thick/tall suckers w/ flowers. I couldn't bear to prune them, so I tied them to the trellis. Updated pic of my out of control SFG Icon_rolleyes
The tomatoes in this bed are; Yellow Pear, Juliet Grape Hybrid, Early Girl, Better Boy, & Anna Russian.

The bed next to it has; Black Krim, Big Rainbow, Cherokee Purple, & Aunt Ruby's Green. These are still small, and I am definitly keeping up w/ the pruning there!
1chichi
1chichi

Back to top Go down

Updated pic of my out of control SFG Empty Re: Updated pic of my out of control SFG

Post  milaneyjane 6/6/2010, 1:19 am

How big is the bed???
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Updated pic of my out of control SFG Empty Re: Updated pic of my out of control SFG

Post  1chichi 6/6/2010, 1:59 am

milaneyjane wrote:How big is the bed???
It's about 4' X 7', and the trellis (2' X7') is just around the 1st two rows.
The Flickr link has a pic that shows the backside a bit more.

The soil in this bed was not draining properly and was cakey, even though I put ammendments in there.
Then, when I found out about Mel's Mix, I incorporated it into the bed.
It must be the Mel's Mix, because I've never seen tomatoes sky rocket so fast. Updated pic of my out of control SFG Bom
1chichi
1chichi

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/6/2010, 8:39 am

Your tomatoes are much bigger than mine, they look great! Is that your amaranth in the foreground?
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nursekat424 6/6/2010, 11:35 am

I'm so jealous, lol. i love your garden. i think the only thing that might eventually get me to move from up here in northern mn is to go somewhere with a longer growing season. my plants are still so small. i know i'm on par for my area but i'm from southern Ohio, so i feel like everything should be bigger. and i tried to start my plants to early also. i've only been here for 3 years and untill i moved here i lived my whole life in ohio. keep up the good work, and love the pics.

ps- your comment about the damselfly had me going to figure out the difference between dragonflies and damselflies (i didnt know about damselflies) thanks, i learned something new today.
Updated pic of my out of control SFG Icon_smile Crystal
nursekat424
nursekat424

Female Posts : 74

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 6/6/2010, 12:43 pm

I have the same issue with my tomatoes. Got a six pack of heirlooms that were all different but not identified. They are in the middle of the box and they are now shading out both east, west and south plants! LOL. I am just glad tomatoes are red in hopes I will see then when they ripen. When I see any I cut off suckers but it is a losing battle. I was just thinking today that I would give each plant a square and a half if I could.

[url=https://servimg.com/view/15177416/33]Updated pic of my out of control SFG 6_jun_13[/url]
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  1chichi 6/6/2010, 10:50 pm

Megan wrote:Your tomatoes are much bigger than mine, they look great! Is that your amaranth in the foreground?
Updated pic of my out of control SFG 109486 I'm so proud of them. I did give them a few shots of Miracle Grow and I think that helped a bit.
Yours will start to jump up soon.

That's the amaranth. Some parts of it are forming tassels already.
It is rising above the tomatoes. The okra is losing the battle and is buried under everything.
1chichi
1chichi

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 6/6/2010, 11:24 pm

Explain to me what you do with amaranth? Can you eat the leaves? Is it a grain or a seed? How do you harvest and store and cook?
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  1chichi 6/6/2010, 11:57 pm

nursekat424 wrote:I'm so jealous, lol. i love your garden. i think the only thing that might eventually get me to move from up here in northern mn is to go somewhere with a longer growing season. my plants are still so small. i know i'm on par for my area but i'm from southern Ohio, so i feel like everything should be bigger. and i tried to start my plants to early also. i've only been here for 3 years and untill i moved here i lived my whole life in ohio. keep up the good work, and love the pics.

ps- your comment about the damselfly had me going to figure out the difference between dragonflies and damselflies (i didnt know about damselflies) thanks, i learned something new today.
Updated pic of my out of control SFG Icon_smile Crystal

Thank you.
Did you use that black plastic mulch? I have been asking to see what other folks experiences are with it. They are saying it works well to warm up the soil.
I used it, and I think it's too hot down here for it in the summmer.
ps-Glad you saw the damselfly. I didn't realize I spelled it wrong until your post. Updated pic of my out of control SFG Icon_lol Until, yesterday, I've never paid them any attention. Now I would like to know more about them.
1chichi
1chichi

Back to top Go down

Post  1chichi 6/7/2010, 12:11 am

Chopper wrote:I have the same issue with my tomatoes. Got a six pack of heirlooms that were all different but not identified. They are in the middle of the box and they are now shading out both east, west and south plants! LOL. I am just glad tomatoes are red in hopes I will see then when they ripen. When I see any I cut off suckers but it is a losing battle. I was just thinking today that I would give each plant a square and a half if I could.[/url]

Updated pic of my out of control SFG Icon_sunny Those look really healthy! It will be interesting to see what type of your mystery tomato plants you have there.

Next year, I will only plant 1 tomato plant in the corner of my sfg.
1chichi
1chichi

Back to top Go down

Post  1chichi 6/7/2010, 1:07 am

Chopper wrote:Explain to me what you do with amaranth? Can you eat the leaves? Is it a grain or a seed? How do you harvest and store and cook?
I have the green flowering type used to make callaloo greens. It's similiar to spinach, only tastier.
The Love Lies Bleeding is red, I remember seeing it in gardens when I was a kid.
The Golden one is beautiful and unique.
The seeds can be used as a grain, and it can be popped too.
HERE ARE TOO many links on amaranth Updated pic of my out of control SFG Icon_cat

http://www.green-talk.com/2009/11/23/growing-amaranth-and-enjoying-the-super-grain-all-year-long/

http://blog.kitchentherapy.us/2009/09/harvesting-amaranth-seed/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26981754@N05/2736586338/in/set-72157605706930425/ 

VIDEOS
harvesting the seeds=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTulaGGNtno

about amaranth=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziRTrJelwUM&feature=related

Good for you=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MXsMyZ5SMw&feature=related

TIME LAPSE OF GROWTH=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu8cCo5rfmY&feature=related
1chichi
1chichi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down