Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Horsey poop Toplef10Horsey poop 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Horsey poop I22gcj10Horsey poop 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Horsey poop Toplef10Horsey poop 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Horsey poop I22gcj10Horsey poop 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Horsey poop

4 posters

Go down

Horsey poop Empty Horsey poop

Post  MrBooker 2/27/2024, 10:32 am

I found this horse manure on Marketplace today and its only about 15 miles from me. It's been composting about 1 1/2 years. It sells for $6.00 per 14 cubic feet.

Am I correct in thinking it should'nt burn the plants since it's been composting for a year and a half? 

It's been in the mid 70's here for awhile and going up to 81*F todat and down to 25*f tonight.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

Horsey poop Empty Re: Horsey poop

Post  OhioGardener 2/27/2024, 2:44 pm

Horse manure doesn't usually pose a risk of burning plants, and it won't after it has composted for that long.  Horse manure, though, is usually full of weed seeds since they don't digest food the same way cows do.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 2/27/2024, 4:48 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Horse manure doesn't usually pose a risk of burning plants, and it won't after it has composted for that long.  Horse manure, though, is usually full of weed seeds since they don't digest food the same way cows do.
Thanks O.G. Is it really all that beneficial to the garden?
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 2/27/2024, 5:29 pm

MrBooker wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:Horse manure doesn't usually pose a risk of burning plants, and it won't after it has composted for that long.  Horse manure, though, is usually full of weed seeds since they don't digest food the same way cows do.

Yes, it adds a lot of organic matter in addition to the nutrients and microbial life. The soil benefits greatly from it. Before you apply it to your garden, though, plant some bean or radish seeds in it to verify it does not have a persistent broadleaf herbicide in it.

Many places now use sawdust or wood chips for bedding for their horses, and that bedding is mixed in with the manure. If that wood is not fully composted, which it should be if they said it has been composting for 1 1/2 years, that wood will pull nitrogen from the soil.

The only downside, as I mentioned earlier, are the weed seeds that will germinate if it was not composted hot enough to kill them.  I can get all of the free horse manure I would want from the fairgrounds, but I usually decline it since I don't want to spend the time composting it before using it.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 2/27/2024, 5:39 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
MrBooker wrote:

Yes, it adds a lot of organic matter in addition to the nutrients and microbial life. The soil benefits greatly from it. Before you apply it to your garden, though, plant some bean or radish seeds in it to verify it does not have a persistent broadleaf herbicide in it.

Thanks again. This looks like its nicely composted. I'll do the bean test on my small 2x10 bed. heres a pic of the compost.

Horsey poop Horse_10
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 2/27/2024, 9:09 pm

Ask the seller if they can assure you that the manure does not come from horses that have been recently de-wormed. The medication is passed through the horses and is active for 45 days. It can "treat" your garden beds and decimate the worms in it. It can also wipe out any worms in your composting bins, so be cautious.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

sanderson and MrBooker like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/27/2024, 9:57 pm

It looks pretty good to me. Some of the wood shavings have not fully decomposed, but you can screen those out. Use them in your compost pile or as mulch in the flower beds. I wouldn't worry about the medicine after 1 1/2 years. But it I understand correctly, pass-through herbicides on the hay are a possibility. If you can test some peas, and they germinate and start growing well, then go for it. Of course, one can buy premium manure-based compost and one of those slip through if the processing place doesn't test. So, your call.

To prevent phosphate build up, I wouldn't use it year after year. Phosphates move through the soil very slowly, unlike nitrogen that moves easily. Use plant-based compost when you can. Animal manures, especially poultry, have more higher P levels than plant-based compost. Or use for a course years and then have an Ag lab test it.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 2/28/2024, 6:34 am

sanderson wrote:It looks pretty good to me.  Some of the wood shavings have not fully decomposed, but you can screen those out.  Use them in your compost pile or as mulch in the flower beds.  I wouldn't worry about the medicine after 1 1/2 years. 

Thanks Sanderson. I havent picked up the compost yet but I will test before I use it.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 2/28/2024, 1:53 pm

sanderson wrote:To prevent phosphate build up, I wouldn't use it year after year.  Phosphates move through the soil very slowly, unlike nitrogen that moves easily.  Use plant-based compost when you can.  Animal manures, especially poultry, have more higher P levels than plant-based compost.  Or use for a course years and then have an Ag lab test it.

The good news is that while horse manure is higher in nitrogen and potassium than cow manure, it is lower in phosphorus than cow manure. So, there is less concern about phosphorus build-up in soil when using horse manure.  Chicken manure, on the other hand, is much higher in phosphorus than either cow or horse manure.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson, Scorpio Rising and MrBooker like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/28/2024, 5:46 pm

What OG wrote. I am partial to horse manure in compost piles because it has a lot of undigested hay in it - greens plus browns. It's like it can make its own compost pile [no you don't want to use only manure-based compost but horse is one of the more reasonable manures). I like the smell of horse manure but that isn't uncommon with girls and horses.

This isn't THE authority but it's a decent compilation for comparison.

https://homesteadontherange.com/2018/08/27/cn-ratios-of-common-organic-materials/#:~:text=Here%E2%80%99s%20a%20list%20of%20the%20average%20C%3AN%20ratios,manure%3A%2015%3A1.%208%20Sheep%20manure%3A%2015%3A1.%20More%20items

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

OhioGardener and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

sanderson wrote:What OG wrote.  I am partial to horse manure in compost piles because it has a lot of undigested hay in it - greens plus browns.  It's like it can make its own compost pile [no you don't want to use only manure-based compost but horse is one of the more reasonable manures).  I like the smell of horse manure but that isn't uncommon with girls and horses.

This isn't THE authority but it's a decent compilation for comparison.

https://homesteadontherange.com/2018/08/27/cn-ratios-of-common-organic-materials/#:~:text=Here%E2%80%99s%20a%20list%20of%20the%20average%20C%3AN%20ratios,manure%3A%2015%3A1.%208%20Sheep%20manure%3A%2015%3A1.%20More%20items
Oh, I love the smell of horses. It's the cow farts I dont like.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down