Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
3 - Garden layout video for 4' x 4' beds Toplef103 - Garden layout video for 4' x 4' beds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

3 - Garden layout video for 4' x 4' beds I22gcj103 - Garden layout video for 4' x 4' beds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
3 - Garden layout video for 4' x 4' beds Toplef103 - Garden layout video for 4' x 4' beds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

3 - Garden layout video for 4' x 4' beds I22gcj103 - Garden layout video for 4' x 4' beds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Garden layout video for 4' x 4' beds

3 posters

Go down

3 - Garden layout video for 4' x 4' beds Empty Garden layout video for 4' x 4' beds

Post  sanderson 10/4/2022, 3:14 pm

OhioGardener posted this simple planting video for beginners.  I like it because it goes from row to row and square to square, explaining why a plant goes where.  Other suggestions can be found on pages 53-55 of the 3rd Edition of ALL NEW Square Foot Gardening book.

Keep in mind that it may not be appropriate to plant both summer and winter crops at the same time in all gardening Zones or latitude.  In southern latitudes, there are usually 2 distinct seasons, summer and winter.  In the SE Gulf coastal areas, summer may be a limited growing season (sweet potatoes, cowpeas and okra) and early fall becomes the new "summer".

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

3 - Garden layout video for 4' x 4' beds Empty Re: Garden layout video for 4' x 4' beds

Post  sanderson 10/4/2022, 11:52 pm

A SFG gardener pointed out to me that companion planting is a big part of the video.  

In SFG, companion planting is not that important. In fact, companion planting has very, very little scientific testing to see if the many claims are merely anecdotal or repeatable scientific fact.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Soose likes this post

Back to top Go down

3 - Garden layout video for 4' x 4' beds Empty Re: Garden layout video for 4' x 4' beds

Post  Soose 10/12/2022, 8:00 pm

But it was so enticing to me -- a plan I could follow.  Logic behind it.  Waahhh...
Soose
Soose

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/13/2022, 2:13 pm

It was enticing which is why I made this separate thread. But, it does not work for every region or zone, pest or disease control, or purpose of harvests. Even the planting examples in the 3rd Edition of ANSFG on pages 23, 53 and #3 on 54 will not work for everyone. At the SFG Foundation level, we are looking at the 3rd Edition for improvements and corrections in the next edition.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 10/13/2022, 5:44 pm

I need a plan that shows not only the original placement, but successive plantings through three seasons at least.  For multi beds.  I just can't get my head around it.
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/13/2022, 5:57 pm

Soose wrote:I need a plan that shows not only the original placement, but successive plantings through three seasons at least.

I can't imagine me trying to follow such a plan.  My method of successive planting is that if there are plants that need to come out, or if there is an open space, I find what seeds I have that will mature in the number of days left in the growing season, and plant them. When the cucumber plants started dying on the arbor, I found some pole bean seeds that could fill the space. When I pulled the carrots, I found some spinach seeds that would not only grow but are frost hardy. When I took out the Zucchini plants, there was room to install the cold frame and plant some leaf lettuce, Baby Bok Choy, and Napa Cabbage.  None of those were planned, and whatever goes in those places next won't be planned either.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4545

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson and Soose like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/13/2022, 7:01 pm

My first year I kept a daily journal, noting every single thing the garden did or didn't do.  That first winter I read the journal.  Second year only a few entries because failures get really imbedded in the brain! Razz  I did journal every compost pile I made, though.  Ingredients and # of buckets.  The temps, watering, opening up to dry a bit, turning, etc.

Each spring and fall, I print out my Excel sheet and make planting notes right on it.  This fall sheet shows sowing and re-sowing when there were germination failures.  The binder clip holds together several years of info.

Succession planting comes naturally.  Do what OG does.  Period.  When a plant comes out, think what has time to grow in that square. Maybe there's nothing.  Oh, well.

This is my winter one for 22-23.  I know what is in every square and if I had to re-sow it.

3 - Garden layout video for 4' x 4' beds Plot_p18

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Soose likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 10/14/2022, 12:59 pm

I did start trying to keep a good journal but then lost my way. And keeping track of harvest by square or even bed... others here jarvest, I don't know what comes from where.

My mind gets befuddled with the garden. I am suspecting PTSD from years of failure. There's not another easy explanation, so I'm calling it that. I need retraining like the way the dog whisperer retrains from trauma. Lol. Learn by doing and replace thoughts with new habits!
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down