Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Digital soil testers, Ph, moisture et al Toplef10Digital soil testers, Ph, moisture et al 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Digital soil testers, Ph, moisture et al I22gcj10Digital soil testers, Ph, moisture et al 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Digital soil testers, Ph, moisture et al Toplef10Digital soil testers, Ph, moisture et al 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Digital soil testers, Ph, moisture et al I22gcj10Digital soil testers, Ph, moisture et al 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Digital soil testers, Ph, moisture et al

4 posters

Go down

Digital soil testers, Ph, moisture et al Empty Digital soil testers, Ph, moisture et al

Post  Chuck d'Argy 8/6/2022, 2:34 pm

I have been looking at various digital soil testers. I know there are analog testers, such as litmus paper for ph, but also digital types of every description.

Does anyone have experience,, good or bad, with digital types? If so how did it work for you?

Thanks
Chuck
Chuck d'Argy
Chuck d'Argy

Back to top Go down

Digital soil testers, Ph, moisture et al Empty Re: Digital soil testers, Ph, moisture et al

Post  OhioGardener 8/6/2022, 3:18 pm

Chuck d'Argy wrote:I have been looking at various digital soil testers. I know there are analog testers, such as litmus paper for ph, but also digital types of every description.

Does anyone have experience,, good or bad, with digital types? If so how did it work for you?

I don't have any personal ownership or experience with them other than a neighbor one time brought his over to test some of my beds.  It was basically an exercise in futility. Since I use a soilless medium in the beds, the pH levels never change, and the NPK readings detected by a meter are useless.  The fun part was that he tested the pH in a bunch of places in each bed, and he got different readings on every test. So, we assumed it was all about averages.

I have an inexpensive analog soil meter purchased at the local Lowe's store which tests for pH, light, and moisture.  I periodically use it to test for the moisture levels 4" or 5" down, but other than that I don't use the other functions.  We did use it to compare the readings my neighbor was getting on his digital one, and the readings were similar.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Moisture-Light-and-PH-Meter/999989626

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Digital soil testers, Ph, moisture et al Empty Re: Digital soil testers, Ph, moisture et al

Post  markqz 8/6/2022, 4:04 pm

Chuck d'Argy wrote:I have been looking at various digital soil testers. I know there are analog testers, such as litmus paper for ph, but also digital types of every description.

First, I'm required by law to mention that there shouldn't be any reason to check for pH with SFG.

That said, I have an inexpensive meter similar to OH. It seems to give plausible pH readings. But for better quality readings, I would suggest a good quality, plastic-backed litmus strip. The light meter on most of these cheap meters tops off at 2000 lux -- that's basically shade cover! Good quality light meters run above $150. If you have an Android phone, you can (sometimes) use it as a light meter with a free app. I'm using SatStat, because it gives a lot of other information. It may not be perfect, but it gives readings that seem to be at least ballpark, and don't top-out at 2000 !

The best part of a cheap meter is the moisture detector. It saves you having to plunge your fingers into 4 inch deep soil. It helps to monitor, for instance, if the drip watering is doing an effective job or not, where you may need to measure in a half dozen squares.

Meters that can detect nitrogen, potassium, phosphorous usually have specialty probes and are very pricey. They probably are not accurate for compost-based nitrogen. In fact, even labs disavow accurate readings for Nitrogen in organic material.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/6/2022, 5:41 pm

My brand new cheap moisture meter was delivered today.  The wet beds read wet.  The dry beds read dry.  The moist beds read moist.  Wondering why I bought it.  Well, at least I know it's accurate.  tongue

https://www.amazon.com/iPower-Soil-Moisture-Meter-Hygrometer/dp/B09DYK898F/ref=asc_df_B09DYK898F?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80127029642294&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583726555804990&th=1

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/6/2022, 7:00 pm

sanderson wrote:My brand new cheap moisture meter was delivered today.  The wet beds read wet.  The dry beds read dry.  The moist beds read moist.  Wondering why I bought it.  Well, at least I know it's accurate.  tongue

lol!

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Chuck d'Argy 8/6/2022, 7:44 pm

markqz wrote:

First, I'm required by law to mention that there shouldn't be any reason to check for pH with SFG.

Then by law I should also get outstanding produce.

What is the phone # for the vegetable police so I can turn in violators?
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Chuck d'Argy
Chuck d'Argy

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/6/2022, 9:25 pm

Chuck d'Argy wrote:
markqz wrote:
Then by law I should also get outstanding produce.

What is the phone # for the vegetable police so I can turn in violators?
Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think it 1-800-EAT-KALE, or something like that...

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Chuck d'Argy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down