Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Browning Leaves after using dish soap/ vinegar spray for aphids. Toplef10Browning Leaves after using dish soap/ vinegar spray for aphids. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Browning Leaves after using dish soap/ vinegar spray for aphids. I22gcj10Browning Leaves after using dish soap/ vinegar spray for aphids. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Browning Leaves after using dish soap/ vinegar spray for aphids. Toplef10Browning Leaves after using dish soap/ vinegar spray for aphids. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Browning Leaves after using dish soap/ vinegar spray for aphids. I22gcj10Browning Leaves after using dish soap/ vinegar spray for aphids. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Browning Leaves after using dish soap/ vinegar spray for aphids.

5 posters

Go down

Browning Leaves after using dish soap/ vinegar spray for aphids. Empty Browning Leaves after using dish soap/ vinegar spray for aphids.

Post  CAM1183 4/27/2021, 11:13 am

I have aphids all over my tomato plants Sad. I read that 3 cups water, 1 cup vinegar, and 1 teaspoon of dish soap sprayed onto leaves and underside of leaves would help.  I soaked the leaves.  My plants looked terrible by the following day.  Today, I showered each plant with plain water to rinse off the mixture.  Any advice?  Have a ruined all my tomato plants?  Should I buy new ones and start over? It's only April.  Thanks!
CAM1183
CAM1183

Back to top Go down

Browning Leaves after using dish soap/ vinegar spray for aphids. Empty Re: Browning Leaves after using dish soap/ vinegar spray for aphids.

Post  markqz 4/27/2021, 11:46 am

Oh, that is sad Sad

If it's any consolation, if you had aphids all over, and they were forming colonies, then it might not be your mixture that did the damage -- they may have already infected your plants.

That said, it's usually recommended to use insecticidal soap because detergent apparently is too harsh for some plants. Though I wouldn't think a teaspoon would matter that much.

Some photos might help the experts here gauge your situation.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Browning Leaves after using dish soap/ vinegar spray for aphids. Empty Re: Browning Leaves after using dish soap/ vinegar spray for aphids.

Post  FRED58 4/27/2021, 5:06 pm

FWIW, in an attempt to be more organic, I now only use two chemicals on my gardens. (I am abandoning miracle grow)

The first is propane: I use a weed burner in the gravel pathways and concrete, asphalt and stone covered areas.

The second is a mix of pickling vinegar, a pinch of salt and a few drops of dishsoap as a weedkiller (not an insecticide). It works great on newly-emerged seedlings of almost everything (like clover where you don't want it). I also use it after hoeing when the weeds try to grow back from the root (mixed success). Incecticidal soap works well without the vinegar.
FRED58
FRED58

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/27/2021, 5:53 pm

CAM1183 wrote:I have aphids all over my tomato plants Sad. I read that 3 cups water, 1 cup vinegar, and 1 teaspoon of dish soap sprayed onto leaves and underside of leaves would help.  I soaked the leaves.  My plants looked terrible by the following day.  Today, I showered each plant with plain water to rinse off the mixture.  Any advice?  Have a ruined all my tomato plants?  Should I buy new ones and start over? It's only April.  Thanks!

Vinegar is a very good weed killer, but not good for insect control. The acetic acid of vinegar dissolves the cell membranes resulting in desiccation of tissues and death of the plant.  Your plants may sprout new leaves and recover from the spray, only time will tell.

A much better control for aphids is neem oil and soap (not detergent). Mix 1 tablespoonful of pure neem oil and 1 teaspoonful of soap (such as Castile) in 1 gallon of water. Shake until the oil is emulsified in the soap water, then spray the leaves top and bottom.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/27/2021, 10:54 pm

It is best to consider what one is doing to harm microbes in a living soil food web such as Mel's Mix. Salt sucks moisture out of many beneficial microbes.
Vinegar, will change PH drastically. weeds should not be an issue in a Mel's Mix bed. If they are, can be removed very easily. I welcome weeds in my beds. Having weeds allows me to work in my beds.
While at it, A mixture of properly made compost tea is a great pesticide barrier in plants. Bacteria take up residence on leaves, not allowing space for others. Compost tea also has an immediate affect on plants my supplying nutrients as soon as sprayed..
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/27/2021, 10:59 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
CAM1183 wrote:I have aphids all over my tomato plants Sad. I read that 3 cups water, 1 cup vinegar, and 1 teaspoon of dish soap sprayed onto leaves and underside of leaves would help.  I soaked the leaves.  My plants looked terrible by the following day.  Today, I showered each plant with plain water to rinse off the mixture.  Any advice?  Have a ruined all my tomato plants?  Should I buy new ones and start over? It's only April.  Thanks!
Tomato plants should not be planted until soil temperature is maintained at upper 60s and lower 70s throughout the day and even into the night. Cool temperature halt growing process which is detrimental to quality of finished product...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down