Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Self Watering containers?  Toplef10Self Watering containers?  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Self Watering containers?  I22gcj10Self Watering containers?  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Self Watering containers?  Toplef10Self Watering containers?  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Self Watering containers?  I22gcj10Self Watering containers?  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Self Watering containers?

2 posters

Go down

Self Watering containers?  Empty Self Watering containers?

Post  OldCrow 9/25/2020, 12:14 pm

Hello Everyone, 
My wife and I will be out of town for a couple weeks late Oct. And I have two pepper plants and 3 tomato plants in 2gal HomeDepot buckets with MM. They are very productive and I'd love to keep them going all winter!
In Maine they are indoor plants and I've been looking at self watering as a solution to keep them through 2 weeks. 

The issue is that I've just been growing them in normal buckets with a couple drain holes. Every video say to use a "wicking" extension into a water reservoir. But to make that setup requires new plantings. I can't imagine transplanting mature plants. 

This MM is highly absorbent, so what would happen just setting a bucket in a 1-2 inch trough filled with water?  Would the MM over absorb and choke the plants? Is the wick the regulating part of the puzzle? Am I just SOL Sad 
Thanks for your thoughts
OldCrow
OldCrow
OldCrow

Back to top Go down

Self Watering containers?  Empty Re: Self Watering containers?

Post  OhioGardener 9/25/2020, 1:06 pm

Don't know how successful it would be for you, but when we are going to be gone for an extended period of time I make wicking system for our houseplants.  I buy a wick from Hobby Lobby that is designed for making oil lamps and such. I use a stick to push one end of the wick down into the planter next to the roots of the plant, then hang the other end of the wick into a small bucket or bowl that is approximately the same height as the planter and fill it with water. The soil in the planter will pull water out of the wick as it is needed and keep the plant happy.

You could probably do the same thing by placing a 5 gallon bucket between two plants in their bucket, push a wick into the planter next to the roots of the plant, and drape the wick into the 5-gallon bucket of water.

Just remember the two most popular sayings of us engineers:

1. There, that should work.
2. Well, that should have worked.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

kygardener and OldCrow like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OldCrow 9/25/2020, 1:30 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Don't know how successful it would be for you, but when we are going to be gone for an extended period of time I make wicking system for our houseplants.  I buy a wick from Hobby Lobby that is designed for making oil lamps and such. I use a stick to push one end of the wick down into the planter next to the roots of the plant, then hang the other end of the wick into a small bucket or bowl that is approximately the same height as the planter and fill it with water. The soil in the planter will pull water out of the wick as it is needed and keep the plant happy.

You could probably do the same thing by placing a 5 gallon bucket between two plants in their bucket, push a wick into the planter next to the roots of the plant, and drape the wick into the 5-gallon bucket of water.

Just remember the two most popular sayings of us engineers:

1. There, that should work.
2. Well, that should have worked.
WOW GREAT IDEA!! That's the old K.I.S.S principle at work! And there is a HobbyLobby only 27miles away. Which in this corner of the world is close. 

I'm a retired EE from building Manned Flight Simulators. Never heard that "saying" but certainly heard those words many, many times  Very Happy
OldCrow
OldCrow

Back to top Go down

Post  OldCrow 10/21/2020, 1:38 pm

Hello OhioGardener, 
Thought I'd give you an update on that wicking trick. WORKS GREAT!

I've wicked 3 tomato and 2 pepper they are all in 2gal buckets. I got 12ft of 3/4" lamp oil wick for $6 from Amazon. 

I then cut up 12"-16" long pieces and soaked the wicking material for a day. Then I pushed half in to the bucket's soil with a 1/2" square stick and then dipped the other half in to empty cashew nut container(about 1.5qt) of water. 

At first my bell pepper started sucking well. But the other not so much. I puzzled for a day or two then decided my wicking holes I'd made were too large. So I got a long slot screwdriver with a 1/4" square shank and tried the 5 not wicking in a new hole. Now everybody is drinking strongly  Very Happy  

Oh and other good new is the banana pepper plant I'd despaired over being spider mite infested, has started spouting new leaves!! cheers I had just kept the soil damp after literally cutting it back to a 6" stub. 
Our trip has been cut back to 1 week so I think I'm good as I've already not watered these guys for the past week and they are look good. 

So again THANK YOU  OG for that great trick. 
OC
OldCrow
OldCrow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down