Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Tavistock, Ontario, Canada - Page 2 Toplef10Hello from Tavistock, Ontario, Canada - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Tavistock, Ontario, Canada - Page 2 I22gcj10Hello from Tavistock, Ontario, Canada - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Tavistock, Ontario, Canada - Page 2 Toplef10Hello from Tavistock, Ontario, Canada - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Tavistock, Ontario, Canada - Page 2 I22gcj10Hello from Tavistock, Ontario, Canada - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Tavistock, Ontario, Canada

+5
Scorpio Rising
countrynaturals
sanderson
OhioGardener
lvanderb
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hello from Tavistock, Ontario, Canada - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello from Tavistock, Ontario, Canada

Post  lvanderb 5/26/2020, 9:11 pm

Yes, pest free is a huge challenge with fruit trees. So, that's what the vinegar bottles and the tennis balls are for - to catch pests. Tennis balls are coated with tanglefoot or whatever it's called and the vinegar bottles have a water, vinegar, sugar, banana peel concoction. Tonight I strained out a fermented horsetail mix to spray on the fruit trees. My apple tree usually looks awful at the end of the season with dead leaves - eaten, cocoons etc - and only apples hanging on. So, lots of fun for the organic fruit tree owner.

To feed the fruit trees even more (they are planted in wood chips already), I'm putting the compost in place rubbermaid totes beside the trees - yes, I will have to take a photo or two when I get them in place.

I have identified some branches that I'll have to take off my apple tree, they are way too high for me, I've been keeping my trees to a reachable height for me using the "Grow a Small Tree" method.
lvanderb
lvanderb

Female Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Hello from Tavistock, Ontario, Canada - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello from Tavistock, Ontario, Canada

Post  mollyhespra 5/26/2020, 10:57 pm

Oh, Linda! I just read about this last month or so about that tanglefoot stuff. If you can make some kind of wire cage for the tennis balls so that the insects get in but the birds can't, it would accomplish the same thing and also save some birds. Apparently the birds see an insect, don't realize it's stuck in gooey stuff, snag the insect with their beak and, if they dont end up getting their own beaks stuck in the process, feed it to their chicks, with disastrous consequences. A gruesome picture, and I hope my bringing it to your attention helps you reconsider. I love(ed) that tanglefoot stuff. We'd put it on our helmets when bicycling so the deer flies would get stuck in it and leave us alone. But after I read that article, I'm not sure we're going to use it again. We'd often leave our helmets just hanging outside, after a ride, but now that we know, we're reconsidering using it at all. It's amazing how everything is connected to everything else.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  lvanderb 5/28/2020, 6:47 am

Wow, that's interesting! I'll do more research. Hard to get it right these days.
lvanderb
lvanderb

Back to top Go down

Post  lvanderb 3/13/2021, 9:19 am

And... I'm back... well, no reason for not being here, except, maybe for winter!

I've ditched winter sowing in favour of raising my baby plants indoors. I also have a garden in the basement - after a battle with aphids, I got a recipe to spray those nasty little critters and they are down to a very low level now. Recipe is as follows: 1 tsp dish soap, 5 drops each of Rosemary, Clove and Peppermint oil in 1 litre or quart of water.

Also, I went to prune my young apple trees, only to find a rabbit had beat me to it...sigh... I was too distraught to document with photos. Thankfully, I do have 6 apple scions to graft in soon, but not many branches left to graft on to! Then I realized I also have a tree full of scions Smile- my front yard multi apple tree - now I know what to do with the branches on that branch I have to remove... 

So, any favourite grafting techniques for grafting onto a fruit tree that has had most of it's little branches chewed off?

I also got an apricot scion (Debbie's gold) and a couple of peaches - I'll graft them onto my nectarine rootstock that came back. Side note: bunnies don't like stone fruit or pears nearly as much as they like apples! 

Hubby will put wire cages around those apple trees this fall. 

I did fall 2 weeks ago (no tread on my shoes and a wee bit of ice), didn't break anything this time, but have one swollen finger and my left arm got well and truly wrenched. I'm having fun watching SFG videos etc.

And back to what to do about bugs...I was told that if I put up the Japanese beetle traps early, like soon, they are very effective, so I'll put up a few of those...
lvanderb
lvanderb

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/14/2021, 6:05 pm

Hi Ivanderb, Are you going to plant the seedling you have growing in the basement?

SFG is dedicated to growing food in raised beds, so you may find more help on a site dedicated to fruit trees on Facebook.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  lvanderb 3/14/2021, 6:29 pm

Thanks, I was just moaning about my trees in the hope that I'd get some sympathy/empathy.
I do have 3 raised bed gardens that are currently frozen and covered in hay. I've started broccoli and parsley so far..
lvanderb
lvanderb

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2