Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tropical Storm Coming My Way!  Zone 9 Toplef10Tropical Storm Coming My Way!  Zone 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tropical Storm Coming My Way!  Zone 9 I22gcj10Tropical Storm Coming My Way!  Zone 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tropical Storm Coming My Way!  Zone 9 Toplef10Tropical Storm Coming My Way!  Zone 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tropical Storm Coming My Way!  Zone 9 I22gcj10Tropical Storm Coming My Way!  Zone 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tropical Storm Coming My Way! Zone 9

+7
trolleydriver
newbeone
Kelejan
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
CapeCoddess
brianj555
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tropical Storm Coming My Way!  Zone 9 Empty Tropical Storm Coming My Way! Zone 9

Post  brianj555 8/24/2017, 8:27 am

I have a tropical storm heading straight for my square foot garden. I have a box (4 x 10 x 12") filled with MM. I have tomato's, peppers, carrots, lettuce, bush beans, cucumbers and greens planted. The plants aren't yet producing much fruit, but look good and have many blooms. (semi-mature) All but the beans and greens have been transplanted or direct sowed about a month ago. We are slated to receive 4" of rain. The bed is guarded from the wind on three sides. (the east side is somewhat exposed in comparison) What can I do, in anything, in preparation to receive this much rain????????
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Tropical Storm Coming My Way!  Zone 9 Empty Re: Tropical Storm Coming My Way! Zone 9

Post  CapeCoddess 8/24/2017, 10:59 am

I just had 6" of rain overnite on Friday into Saturday and everything was fine. The MM drained beautifully. I actually watered it again yesterday.

Can you put up burlap or some such on that 4 side? You know how tropical storms are, the wind blows from each side at some point.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Tropical Storm Coming My Way!  Zone 9 Empty Re: Tropical Storm Coming My Way! Zone 9

Post  brianj555 8/24/2017, 4:15 pm

Thank you! Good Idea! Burlap would probably work good as a blocker and it might not get blown away.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/24/2017, 7:20 pm

Yeah, the great thing, well, ONE of the great things about MM is it is basically impossible to overwater especially be Nature.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/25/2017, 1:51 am

I was thinking you could do the following rather quickly. Install six 1/2" EMT poles, 4 at the corners and 2 at the 5' marks on the long sides ($12). Secure with 1/2" EMT double winged clamps ( pkg of 25 ct about $4-Cool. Secure burlap or 4' wide 50% sun shade from Home Depot, with a dozen large binder clips (box of 12 large $4 at Office Depot). The burlap or shade cloth will allow some wind to get through so the poles will be secure. They can later be used for shade cloth.

For everyone in Harvey's path, be safe.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/25/2017, 7:18 pm

Cat 4 now! Please be safe.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 8/25/2017, 7:33 pm

Thanks.  I am greatful that it looks like the serious stuff will miss the ms gulf coast, but I am thinking about those in Texas.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/27/2017, 9:10 pm

How is everyone doing the the Harvey impact area? Houston with a couple million residents - hard to relocate that many people. Corpus Christi, Rockport. How about Louisiana and maybe Mississippi?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 8/27/2017, 9:13 pm

sanderson wrote:How is everyone doing the the Harvey impact area?  Houston with a couple million residents - hard to relocate that many people.  Corpus Christi, Rockport.  How about Louisiana and maybe Mississippi?
We haven't even gotten any rain here yet.  We were forecast to have over 4" by now. You never know.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/27/2017, 11:08 pm

sanderson wrote:How is everyone doing the the Harvey impact area?  Houston with a couple million residents - hard to relocate that many people.  Corpus Christi, Rockport.  How about Louisiana and maybe Mississippi?

Houston has about 6.8 million people and being America's fourth largest city. I worry about food and so many other things such as sanitation.

We here in Canada are following everything that happens. Harvey covers such a large area that so many smaller places do not even get a mention. I expect this hurricane would cover all our Vancouver and nearby cities;  Toronto, perhaps?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Tropical Storm Coming My Way!  Zone 9 Empty RE:Tripical Storm Coming My Way! Zone 9

Post  newbeone 8/28/2017, 1:59 am

Just checking in to say hi: Down here in San Antonio we lucked out, got a little rain and some wind, nothing like they were forecasting Just watching TV and counting our blessings.
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/28/2017, 9:37 am

A correction to my last posting about Houston having 6 million people.  That number covers 19 counties.  It was the way that article was written that mentioned only the city of Houston and now I read another article say 6 million over counties. Still horrendous for everyone there and there is still a long way to go for them all. 

Newbeone from San Antonio; I used to have friends there in the Airforce and I visited them a couple of times in early 1980s and again in 2000.  I always remember the River Walk and read that it could be hard hit.  I do know they retired there after returning from Germany after their last assignment. We originally met them while they were stationed in England.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/28/2017, 1:04 pm

I hope more Harvey belt folks will report in.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/28/2017, 1:28 pm

sanderson wrote:I hope more Harvey belt folks will report in.

I expect that will be difficult to do.  But if any of you are reading this, know that we are praying for you.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/28/2017, 1:31 pm

Kelejan wrote:

I expect that will be difficult to do.  But if any of you are reading this, know that we are praying for you.A
Amen.

What a tragic situation. My heart goes out to all those affected by the hurricane and follow-on effects.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/28/2017, 1:36 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
Kelejan wrote:

I expect that will be difficult to do.  But if any of you are reading this, know that we are praying for you.A
Amen.

What a tragic situation. My heart goes out to all those affected by the hurricane and follow-on effects.

A bit light-hearted, TD. thanks for awarding me an A for my quote. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/28/2017, 2:37 pm

Kelejan wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:
Kelejan wrote:

Amen.

A bit light-hearted, TD. thanks for awarding me an A for my quote. Very Happy
That's what happens when I try to respond on the forum using my cell phone. But you deserve the A anyway.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Tropical Storm Coming My Way!  Zone 9 Empty Nate

Post  brianj555 10/6/2017, 7:04 am

Nate is heading my way.  Sad  Anyone have anything to add about how I can protect  my bed/plants?  I probably have 50 unripe tomaotes on the vine and 20 cukes!  I would appreciate all suggestions. (Inexpensive would be great!) We are looking at up to 70 mph winds here.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 10/6/2017, 8:24 am

Here is the layout.  The bed is somewhat already protected on 3 sides, but the winds direction could very possibly be coming from the east.  ( which is the side I'm standing on when I took this pic. )
Tropical Storm Coming My Way!  Zone 9 Img_4027
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/7/2017, 3:17 am

I would wrap the bed with something that is "holey" such as 50% sun shade from Home Depot or burlap. Are the wood stakes secured strongly to the wood sides of the bed? If not, 6 EMT sections strapped to the outside with double-wing fasteners would allow you to wrap the cloth around and secure with large binder clips from Office Supply. Come summer, the shade cloth can be repurposed as sun shade and the ENT can be fitted with upper cross pieces for the cloth.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 10/7/2017, 11:55 am

Thanks guys.  I am going to try to get to Home Depot , but time isn't on my side.  The storm is moving very quickly.  I am wanting/planning to at least do the east and south side as Sanderson is describing.  I did try something just now that I really need outside thoughts on:
Tropical Storm Coming My Way!  Zone 9 Img_4029
After wrapping the tomaotes closest loosely with tomato tape to keep them contained, I loosely tied the two outside stakes together with jute. Then I tied each of them down to the frame, and left slack so it could move, but not Fall all the way over.  ( this is how we anchor out boats when a storm comes and for tide movement) 
Here is where I really need all of your opinions please.
Will the plants being all wrapped together make them more of a wind block than help?
Would it be better for them to be loose so wind could move through?
Would it be better for the plants to actually fall over than to be held in place? (Could they break)
Off topic : should I pull all fruit that is of a decent size even though they haven't started to turn yet?  Will they turn off the vine ?
I guess what I'm trying to avoid is end up doing more harm than good.
I realize this is all guess work.  But your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/7/2017, 2:54 pm

Brian, are you using bamboo as stakes?

Regarding pulling the green tomatoes, if you leave them on, some may survive the storm and you may end up with red tomatoes. If you pull them, they will be green tomatoes! Maybe pull one in each cluster to lighten the load? I would put energy into creating the wind block (partial block). Attach the weed fabric so that it is open at the bottom for a few inches.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 10/7/2017, 3:46 pm

sanderson wrote:Brian,  are you using bamboo as stakes?  

Regarding pulling the green tomatoes, if you leave them on, some may survive the storm and you may end up with red tomatoes.  If you pull them, they will be green tomatoes!  Maybe pull one in each cluster to lighten the load?  I would put energy into creating the wind block (partial block).  Attach the weed fabric so that it is open at the bottom for a few inches.
I tried.  At least if my garden is gone after, I can be mad at the storm and it myself.  Thanks for your help.
Tropical Storm Coming My Way!  Zone 9 Img_4030
Yes .  Those are bamboo stakes .
I strung braided fishing string through the top and the bottom for support as well,
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/7/2017, 4:05 pm

Looks good, all you can do is ride the storm out....I think you will have more survive than you are thinking....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/7/2017, 4:52 pm

Tropical Storm Coming My Way!  Zone 9 3170584802

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next