Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Potato growing Toplef10Potatoes - Potato growing 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Potato growing I22gcj10Potatoes - Potato growing 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Potato growing Toplef10Potatoes - Potato growing 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Potato growing I22gcj10Potatoes - Potato growing 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Potato growing

+19
SwampTroll
No_Such_Reality
trolleydriver
newbeone
CapeCoddess
Mimi2
countrynaturals
mlpii66
Turan
BeetlesPerSqFt
yolos
RC3291
GWN
sfg4uKim
Scorpio Rising
ralitaco
sanderson
AtlantaMarie
bigblue94
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Potatoes - Potato growing Empty Potato growing

Post  bigblue94 3/13/2017, 5:35 pm

Hello everyone,looking at growing potato plants in a 4' x 4' by 9 inch deep box. I've been reading and seems to be different opinions on how to grow them. i will be using Mel's mix in this box some questions i have are

how deep should the box be
do i start them in a few inches of soil and add more soil as they grow
also what are the best types of potatoes to grow and that put out a lot of potatoes

thank you for your help.
bigblue94
bigblue94

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Potato growing Empty Re: Potato growing

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/14/2017, 10:09 am

Hi Bigblue94. First of all, I'm sorry I missed welcoming you to our group! I'm AtlantaMarie from... Atlanta, GA, lol.

My potato boxes are 2' deep. I use layers of MM & pine straw, starting with 6" of MM. Yes, start in a few inches then add as they grow.

Best type? Depends on your taste....

Hope this helps...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/15/2017, 3:09 am

BigBlue,  I use 5-gal buckets for the smaller red potatoes.  I hope someone from your Region can help with varieties.

Here is the Rookie thread on potatoes.  https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t16841-rookie-topic-potatoes?highlight=rookie

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/15/2017, 10:55 pm

Po-ta-toes...hmmm, I may have to add them to my plans this year. So glad you asked about them
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1314

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/15/2017, 11:08 pm

Hey, Big blue!  I would like to welcome you to the north and Central Midwest  section!   

Honestly in my opinion, potatoes do not need much of a base.  I have thrown them on the ground, covered them with dirt/straw, and had some of my best yields!

Grow what you like, my fave is Yukon Gold, but whatever you like is fine.

These are very not finicky plants.....

Update me on your plans on the regional thread!  N & C Midwest....bounce
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 3/16/2017, 8:57 am

This will be my first year trying potatoes. Hubby wanted me to grow some so made a potato box for me. Since I only had a corner I asked him to make the box triangular to maximize space. We'll add a board as the potatoes grow and we cover them then with more Mel's Mix. Potatoes - Potato growing Potato10

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Potatoes - Potato growing WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/16/2017, 9:52 am

his will be my first year trying potatoes. Hubby wanted me to grow some so made a potato box for me. Since I only had a corner I asked him to make the box triangular to maximize space. We'll add a board as the potatoes grow and we cover them then with more Mel's Mix. 
Enlarge this image Click to see fullsize
Potatoes - Potato growing Potato10

Now THAT IS a great looking potato bin, is that a hinge on the left side?  What a great idea. What type of potatoes are you going to grow in there, would it need an indeterminate type?  I am going to show my DH this one.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  RC3291 3/16/2017, 11:39 am

Many people don't realize that there are determinate and indeterminate potatoes. Determinate potatoes such as Red Pontiacs, Chieftains and Yukon gold only grow tubers from just above where the "seed" is planted. Indeterminates such as Russet Nuggets, Nicholas, German Butterballs and Elba grow tubers anywhere along the stem that soil exists. Sounds like indeterminate potatoes are what you are trying to grow by adding boards to deepen the growing medium. There are also early, mid-season, and late season varieties. No I'm not Mr Potatoe Head, too many choices for me. I planted a couple of Yukon Golds that had sprouted from sitting too long on the counter and because I like them.
RC3291
RC3291

Male Posts : 121

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/16/2017, 11:56 am

Many people don't realize that there are determinate and indeterminate potatoes. Determinate potatoes such as Red Pontiacs, Chieftains and Yukon gold only grow tubers from just above where the "seed" is planted. Indeterminates such as Russet Nuggets, Nicholas, German Butterballs and Elba grow tubers anywhere along the stem that soil exists. Sounds like indeterminate potatoes are what you are trying to grow by adding boards to deepen the growing medium. There are also early, mid-season, and late season varieties. No I'm not Mr Potatoe Head, too many choices for me. I planted a couple of Yukon Golds that had sprouted from sitting too long on the counter and because I like them.

exactly.... so for this type of growing one NEEDS to use indeterminates...
Another POTATO thing I learned this year. I have a friend who has ankylosing spondylitis, a rheumatologic disorder of the spine (like rheumatoid arthritis, only specific to the back)  The rheumatologist suggested he eat red potatoes because they actually have anti inflammatory properties. OF NOTE this rheumatologist is very much by the book and not into alternatives, so for her to say this, I thought was pretty big. SO needless to say I am growing ALL red potatoes this year
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/17/2017, 2:40 pm

Kim, Thank you for sharing your new potato bin.

GWN, Interesting about the benefits of red potatoes.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblue94 3/17/2017, 4:45 pm

I didn't realize that there are determinate and indeterminate potatoes,can anyone help me with where i can order potatoes seeds online from have nothing locally.I know everyone has there favorites potatoes but what are some of the higher yielding types.

what is the difference between organic and non organic with potatoes
sorry if this sounds like a dumb questions this is all new to me just trying to learn

sfg4uKim i really like that box that design, will help protect them from high winds.
bigblue94
bigblue94

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/17/2017, 7:50 pm

bigblue94 wrote:I didn't realize that there are determinate and indeterminate potatoes,can anyone help me with where i can order potatoes seeds online from have nothing locally.I know everyone has there favorites potatoes but what are some of the higher yielding types.

what is the difference between organic and non organic with potatoes
sorry if this sounds like a dumb questions this is all new to me just trying to learn

sfg4uKim  i really like that box that design, will help protect them from high winds.
Big Blue, I just googled "seed potatoes online" and a whole bunch of hits came up, Territorial Seeds, Maine Potato Lady, and lots more!  Looks like lots of options!  They are really easy to grow.  I just grow them in my SFG boxes...but have grown them in a regular garden too.

I always opt for organic if possible.  That way you know there are no strange chemicals in there or on them.  Potatoes are one of the most "treated" vegetables.  They treat them with fungicides before planting, then dust for pests, chemically kill the vegetation, and douse upon harvest with stabilizers, etc.  NUTS!

That said, anything you grow yourself will be miles ahead of the grocery fare!

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 3/17/2017, 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added last sentence!)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/17/2017, 9:34 pm

I've never grown potatoes either...I didn't realize you could start them from seeds Embarassed
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/17/2017, 9:44 pm

ralitaco wrote:I've never grown potatoes either...I didn't realize you could start them from seeds Embarassed
You can start them from seeds but almost nobody does.  I once bought some actual seeds but I never planted them.  What they normally buy are seed potatoes not seeds.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 3/17/2017, 10:17 pm

I was confused about that "seed potato" thing for awhile for myself.
(Some) Potatoes can form seeds, inside green vaguely tomato-like fruits that I assume are poisonous. But the seeds don't necessarily form tubers with the same characteristics of their parent(s). Since gardeners, and especially farmers, don't want to grow mystery spuds, almost everyone grows potatoes from "seed potatoes", creating clones that are exactly as expected. It looks like the term True Potato Seeds (TPS) is used too clarify when one means actual seed-seeds.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/17/2017, 11:11 pm

OOOOOHHHHHHH...Seed Potato NOT Potato seed
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/2/2017, 3:07 pm

Here is a lovely reference chart I found.
I believe that the category for 'cage' is referring to what I would call tower, a way of growing potatoes to maximize yield, but is dependent of indeterminate type of plants.
I notice that all Xtra late season varieties are good for cages, as are many Late season varieties.  Naturally the exception to this they say is the French fingerling.  I think that is a typo because for me it does very well.  But next year I might try a different type on their list and see if it does better.

https://irisheyesgardenseeds.com/product-category/potatoes/

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/2/2017, 4:23 pm

Turan wrote:Here is a lovely reference chart I found.
I believe that the category for 'cage' is referring to what I would call tower, a way of growing potatoes to maximize yield, but is dependent of indeterminate type of plants.
I notice that all Xtra late season varieties are good for cages, as are many Late season varieties.  Naturally the exception to this they say is the French fingerling.  I think that is a typo because for me it does very well.  But next year I might try a different type on their list and see if it does better.

http://irisheyesgardenseeds.com/potato-quick-reference
Thanks Turan, that was an excellent chart.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  mlpii66 5/2/2017, 9:54 pm

I planted 100 SF of potatoes last year. Got through most and have seed potatoes for this year!

It doesn't make financial sense to grow them but MAN OH MAN! There is no comparison to the creamy texture of a homegrown to the grainy texture of a store bought tater!

Here's about half the harvest in my little garden tractor cart. Potatoes - Potato growing 2016po10
Here's me, (goofin' for my little sister) holding the biggest one.
Potatoes - Potato growing Mark_m12
mlpii66
mlpii66

Male Posts : 93

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/3/2017, 12:34 am

Argh. I'm still undecided about doing potatoes again this year and your description is affecting me, Mark! The small yield of potatoes last year tasted good, but they didn't do that well and there were flea beetles and some sort of leaf disease, and I think they needed more sun than the spot available had...  I guess I'll see if there are still any seed potatoes available at my favorite local farm market store and go from there...
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  mlpii66 5/3/2017, 7:05 pm

My tater patch was in good full sun and watered with a soaker hose. I was away on business about four week during mid summer and my boys didn't live up to their promise of caring for the garden.  By the time I got back, grass hoppers and weeds had decimated the patch, or so I thought.  You can see even after neglect the little fellas produced just fine!
mlpii66
mlpii66

Back to top Go down

Post  mlpii66 5/3/2017, 7:07 pm

sfg4uKim wrote:This will be my first year trying potatoes. Hubby wanted me to grow some so made a potato box for me. Since I only had a corner I asked him to make the box triangular to maximize space. We'll add a board as the potatoes grow and we cover them then with more Mel's Mix. Potatoes - Potato growing Potato10
I like that planter, great use of space!
mlpii66
mlpii66

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/3/2017, 8:32 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Argh. I'm still undecided about doing potatoes again this year and your description is affecting me, Mark! The small yield of potatoes last year tasted good, but they didn't do that well and there were flea beetles and some sort of leaf disease, and I think they needed more sun than the spot available had...  I guess I'll see if there are still any seed potatoes available at my favorite local farm market store and go from there...
According to Paul (BTE), any root crops we buy at the grocery store -- especially potatoes -- have very few nutrients because of the way they're grown commercially. Potatoes aren't even on our new "Eat to Live" diet, but if I can grow some healthful taters in the garden, I won't mind adding them back into our soups and stews. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mlpii66 5/3/2017, 9:03 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Argh. I'm still undecided about doing potatoes again this year and your description is affecting me, Mark! The small yield of potatoes last year tasted good, but they didn't do that well and there were flea beetles and some sort of leaf disease, and I think they needed more sun than the spot available had...  I guess I'll see if there are still any seed potatoes available at my favorite local farm market store and go from there...
According to Paul (BTE), any root crops we buy at the grocery store -- especially potatoes -- have very few nutrients because of the way they're grown commercially. Potatoes aren't even on our new "Eat to Live" diet, but if I can grow some healthful taters in the garden, I won't mind adding them back into our soups and stews. Cool
I didn't really notice any weight gain and we went a little nuts after tasting the first few.  We're trying to stick to a lower carb diet but I advocate slow carbs, beans and such, and I don't shy away from my home grown potatoes.
mlpii66
mlpii66

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 5/3/2017, 10:24 pm

GWN wrote:

exactly.... so for this type of growing one NEEDS to use indeterminates...
Another POTATO thing I learned this year. I have a friend who has ankylosing spondylitis, a rheumatologic disorder of the spine (like rheumatoid arthritis, only specific to the back)  The rheumatologist suggested he eat red potatoes because they actually have anti inflammatory properties. OF NOTE this rheumatologist is very much by the book and not into alternatives, so for her to say this, I thought was pretty big. SO needless to say I am growing ALL red potatoes this year
Very interesting about the anti-inflammatory properties of red tomatoes. I have fes inflammatory conditions that I would like to off-set.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next