Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest:  December 2016 - Page 3 Toplef10N&C Midwest:  December 2016 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest:  December 2016 - Page 3 I22gcj10N&C Midwest:  December 2016 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest:  December 2016 - Page 3 Toplef10N&C Midwest:  December 2016 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest:  December 2016 - Page 3 I22gcj10N&C Midwest:  December 2016 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest: December 2016

+9
BeetlesPerSqFt
llama momma
landarch
sanderson
countrynaturals
GardenGal
AtlantaMarie
jacobking101
Scorpio Rising
13 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

N&C Midwest:  December 2016 - Page 3 Empty Re: N&C Midwest: December 2016

Post  CitizenKate 12/19/2016, 9:44 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:I am interested, are you growing under lights year round?  Or just for starts?
Just starts.  If I were growing under grow lights during the winter, it would have to be something that never gets very big, say... more than about 12 inches high.  Spinach or lettuce might do okay in that setting.  But as soon as I thought about the electric bill to produce that much light, I decided not to pursue it.  Better to work with Mother Nature as much as possible.  For me, that means growing as much as possible during the growing season and preserving (canning, dehydrating, or freezing) as much of it as possible.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 12/19/2016, 10:34 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:''Twas a balmy 19 here today!  Nothing but catalogs, reading and periodic trips to the compost frozen pile....LOL!

Did use a couple last peppers in chili last night.  THinking I want a jalapeño for next year.  I really like them!  And maybe a dehydrator...thoughts?
I use my dehydrator a lot, and love it.  Dried veggies from the garden make excellent ingredients to add flavor, bulk, and nutrients to soups, stews, slow cooker meals, and casseroles, or even just to add more veggies to dry soup mixes.  Dried tomatoes are to die for - flavor so intense.  Dried peaches, strawberries, or apples from the farmer's market are wonderful in oatmeal with a little greek yogurt.

During the winter I buy lots of potatoes when they're always on sale during Thanksgiving week and Christmas season, and make several tubs of dried potatoes to use in all kinds of things.  That's also when I dry veggies I buy at the farmer's market that I don't grow myself, and make beef jerky - great to hand out during the holidays, my family loves it.  (They fight over it, actually.)

I've also made some dried backpacking foods to keep on hand for emergencies.  Next time there's a two-week power failure, or we have to evacuate the house to escape a flood or tornado, we'll be ready.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/20/2016, 4:09 pm

Beautiful icy apples, SR. I love the looks of icing over...just not the cold part. Mad
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/20/2016, 4:12 pm

CitizenKate wrote: Next time there's a two-week power failure, or we have to evacuate the house to escape a flood or tornado, we'll be ready.

Shocked Crud. No more complaining for me about our 'short' little power outs.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/20/2016, 8:28 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Beautiful icy apples, SR.  I love the looks of icing over...just not the cold part. Mad
I know!  I was driving to to church and there is a boulevard with trees, I took my camera because the ice was so gorgeous!  I literally rolled my window down and snapped some of these pics from my car!  

Cold here, there too!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 12/20/2016, 10:43 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
CitizenKate wrote: Next time there's a two-week power failure, or we have to evacuate the house to escape a flood or tornado, we'll be ready.

Doesn't happen often, here. We had an ice storm in 2007 that knocked out power for quite a few people for 3-14+ days. In 2008, we had a F-4 tornado come through our town and was headed right for us. We have no basement or safe room, but luckily for us, it launched itself off the small bluff just west of us and took back to the air. (Others farther west were not so fortunate.) It was close enough that we could hear it pass by. If we had it all to do over again - we had adequate warning that it was headed our way (love Weather Underground and NOAA weather radio!) - we would have just grabbed our pets and some supplies and bugged outta here.

In a way, it's kind of liberating to have to learn to live without electricity for several days. Now we know we don't absolutely have to have it to be able to cook food or keep warm. Not a good way to live normally - it's more work, of course - but good to know you can do it if you have to.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/22/2016, 12:26 am

CitizenKate wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:

Doesn't happen often, here.  We had an ice storm in 2007 that knocked out power for quite a few people for 3-14+ days.  In 2008, we had a F-4 tornado come through our town and was headed right for  us.  We have no basement or safe room, but luckily for us, it launched itself off the small bluff just west of us and took back to the air.  (Others farther west were not so fortunate.)  It was close enough that we could hear it pass by.  If we had it all to do over again - we had adequate warning that it was headed our way (love Weather Underground and NOAA weather radio!) - we would have just grabbed our pets and some supplies and bugged outta here.

In a way, it's kind of liberating to have to learn to live without electricity for several days.  Now we know we don't absolutely have to have it to be able to cook food or keep warm.  Not a good way to live normally - it's more work, of course - but good to know you can do it if you have to.
Interesting.  We lived out in the booneys in winter, 1996.  February to be exact.  I know this because I was home with my newborn baby boy!  Had a super cold snap and we lost power at our house.  Ice.  Trees and major damage.  Power grid down.

We heated with wood, so we were warm (that is WORK) and we could cook on the wood burner.  Candles for light or Coleman camp lights.  This way for 11 days with a brand new baby....wowza.  I was just so glad to be warm!  No real light after the sun went down....yeah, a bit but not reading light.  Kept the 1 1/2 year old entertained easily enough...not so sure you could do that today!

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 12/22/2016, 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong year)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 12/22/2016, 10:09 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Interesting.  We lived out in the booneys in winter, 1996.  February to be exact.  I know this because I was home with my newborn baby boy!  Had a super cold snap and we lost power at our house.  Ice.  Trees and major damage.  Power grid down.

We heated with wood, so we were warm (that is WORK) and we could cook on the wood burner.  Candles for light or Coleman camp lights.  This way for 11 days with a brand new baby....wowza.  I was just so glad to be warm!  No real light after the sun went down....yeah, a bit but not reading light.  Kept the 1 1/2 year old entertained easily enough...not so sure you could do that today!
Our next home will either have a wood-burning furnace or we will add one. Not an option in the house we're in now, but we couldn't help but notice how much better off our friends who had them were during the big ice storm. We'll also be scouting for good solar/wind energy potential. The LED lighting we have now can be powered with so little. And if all else fails, there's a good old gas generator! thinking
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/23/2016, 1:17 am

CitizenKate wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Interesting.  We lived out in the booneys in winter, 1996.  February to be exact.  I know this because I was home with my newborn baby boy!  Had a super cold snap and we lost power at our house.  Ice.  Trees and major damage.  Power grid down.

Our next home will either have a wood-burning furnace or we will add one.  Not an option in the house we're in now, but we couldn't help but notice how much better off our friends who had them were during the big ice storm.  We'll also be scouting for good solar/wind energy potential.  The LED lighting we have now can be powered with so little.  And if all else fails, there's a good old gas generator! thinking
Yeah, my next first move is getting someone to look at the flue and chimney.  Then, after air conditioning is updated will look at a generator!  Gas.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 12/23/2016, 8:29 pm

"Ground cherries:  Need to be in a container!  They were very low growing and bearing, hard to see them....very delicious."

Pardon my ignorance, but what are ground cherries.  I am picturing in my mind a Bing cherry on a vine spreading all over the place.   Razz  That can't be right.
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/23/2016, 8:39 pm

Mellen wrote:"Ground cherries:  Need to be in a container!  They were very low growing and bearing, hard to see them....very delicious."

Pardon my ignorance, but what are ground cherries.  I am picturing in my mind a Bing cherry on a vine spreading all over the place.   Razz  That can't be right.

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 12/23/2016, 9:01 pm

Thanks Mr. TD:  Obviously, I had no clue.  I might have to try those.   Very Happy
Mellen
Mellen

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/23/2016, 9:28 pm

Something that is similar to ground cherry and which grows with a paper shell around the fruit is Tomatillo. I grew these this year and they were prolific. I used them to make salsa.

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 12/23/2016, 9:40 pm

Thanks for the tomatillo post.  The first time I saw one was in my CSA basket a few years ago.  I had no idea what it was....my daughter knew though.  I can't even remember what I did with them.  I do remember I liked them.  The CSA experience was when I knew I wanted to grow my own food.  One day I received a bunch of carrots.  WOW!  What a flavor.  I had forgotten what that was.  The first things I planted in my "salad box" this past Spring were carrots, lettuce, radishes, & onions.  The carrots were superb!  I need to add tomatillo's to my list of seeds to purchase.  (& ground cherries).

I think I'm going to run out of room.
Mellen
Mellen

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/24/2016, 11:03 am

Mellen wrote:"Ground cherries:  Need to be in a container!  They were very low growing and bearing, hard to see them....very delicious."

I grew them for the first time last season...they are wonderful!  But I will need them in a container.  They are just really hard to harvest efficiently in a ground box.  They are fruity tasting, mine tasted a bit like pineapple--delish!  I ate them out of hand, but they would make a great salsa, too.  I will never be without them!  CC was the one who got me interested, and sent me some seeds.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/24/2016, 12:23 pm

Container, huh? I wonder if my deck boxes would work... They're 6" deep and quite long....
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/25/2016, 2:59 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:...  We lived out in the booneys in winter, 1996.  February to be exact.  I know this because I was home with my newborn baby boy!  Had a super cold snap and we lost power at our house.  Ice.  Trees and major damage.  Power grid down.

To think our great grandmothers had to do without much in the way of convenience.  Can you imagine washing diapers indoors a tub when you are snow bound for weeks? And having a couple of toddlers or knee-highs. Shocked

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/25/2016, 11:50 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Container, huh?  I wonder if my deck boxes would work...  They're 6" deep and quite long....
That would be perfect!  I love the taste.  I also think if they were up closer to the house I would harvest more often.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/26/2016, 5:46 pm

N&C Midwest:  December 2016 - Page 3 Imagejpeg
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 12/26/2016, 7:06 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:N&C Midwest:  December 2016 - Page 3 Imagejpeg
Huh? thinking
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/27/2016, 8:36 pm

CitizenKate wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:N&C Midwest:  December 2016 - Page 3 Imagejpeg
Huh?  thinking
My picture didn't post, try again!  

The study  N&C Midwest:  December 2016 - Page 3 Image20

And I received Jungs today!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 12/27/2016, 9:05 pm

Ohhhhh, YEAH! I guess this means my Jung catalog will arrive soon. bounce
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/27/2016, 10:23 pm

cheers Yep!  Looks good, too!  bounce
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/27/2016, 11:25 pm

I got Territorial Seed Co. catalog today. It's a big, thick thing. Don't know how they found me. I got all excited and started by looking for some mini-zinnia seeds. FIVE BUCKS PLUS SHIPPING FOR 20 ZINNIA SEEDS? Are they nutz? affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 12/28/2016, 4:05 pm

So I've been browsing through all the seed catalogs that have arrived in the mail, looking for a new heirloom tomato to try out next spring...  I'm dropping the Burpee Supersauce hybrid tomatoes next season... got some pretty nice and big tomatoes from them, but the yield doesn't justify the price of the seeds.  I would like to find another good heirloom all-purpose tomato (good in sandwiches and salads, and also good for canning), and the Rutgers has caught my eye.

Have any of you tried that one?  I've been doing a little online research on it, but curious to know what experiences any of you in the midwest might have had with it.  I did try a couple I got from Burpee a few years ago in my containers, and they didn't do well there.  The few tomatoes I got from them were delicious, but the yield was very low.  But now I have SFG, and they might be happier growing there.

I also noticed there seems to be a determinate version of the Rutgers.  That might be a better one to try in a container.  (Assuming that's not a typo.)
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum