Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - Chinese cabbage plants and garlic... ?? Toplef10Garlic - Chinese cabbage plants and garlic... ?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - Chinese cabbage plants and garlic... ?? I22gcj10Garlic - Chinese cabbage plants and garlic... ?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - Chinese cabbage plants and garlic... ?? Toplef10Garlic - Chinese cabbage plants and garlic... ?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - Chinese cabbage plants and garlic... ?? I22gcj10Garlic - Chinese cabbage plants and garlic... ?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Chinese cabbage plants and garlic... ??

5 posters

Go down

Garlic - Chinese cabbage plants and garlic... ?? Empty Chinese cabbage plants and garlic... ??

Post  MrBooker 9/8/2016, 6:52 am

About a month ago I called a local nursery (http://effingergarden.com/) and asked if they had Chinese cabbage plants. They said they did have some  but they were very small. I took a chance and bought 6 anyway and planted them.

As the plants grew, I discovered they were Bok Choy. I called the nursery and told them I wanted Chinese cabbage and they had sold me Bok Choy. The owner told me, "It's the same thing"...  "NO IT'S NOT.. goodbye".

Yesterday I went to a local veggie farm  (https://www.facebook.com/Scharf-Farm-188758594507335/)  and bought 8 garlic bulbs to plant. When I got home I thought I would call the farm and ask what would be the best time to plant the garlic. The lady I talked to said she didn't know when to plant because they BOUGHT the garlic.

I asked if the garlic had been treated to retard sprouting like the store bought garlic. She said, "Duh.. thinking I don't know if it has been treated or not".   Looks like I have 8 heads of garlic to give away.

Lucky for me, I had ordered what I hope to be enough inchelium red garlic to fill my 2x8 bed.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

Garlic - Chinese cabbage plants and garlic... ?? Empty Re: Chinese cabbage plants and garlic... ??

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 9/8/2016, 10:47 am

MrBooker wrote:About a month ago I called a local nursery (http://effingergarden.com/) and asked if they had Chinese cabbage plants. They said they did have some  but they were very small. I took a chance and bought 6 anyway and planted them.

As the plants grew, I discovered they were Bok Choy. I called the nursery and told them I wanted Chinese cabbage and they had sold me Bok Choy. The owner told me, "It's the same thing"...  "NO IT'S NOT.. goodbye".

Yesterday I went to a local veggie farm  (https://www.facebook.com/Scharf-Farm-188758594507335/)  and bought 8 garlic bulbs to plant. When I got home I thought I would call the farm and ask what would be the best time to plant the garlic. The lady I talked to said she didn't know when to plant because they BOUGHT the garlic.

I asked if the garlic had been treated to retard sprouting like the store bought garlic. She said, "Duh.. thinking I don't know if it has been treated or not".   Looks like I have 8 heads of garlic to give away.

Lucky for me, I had ordered what I hope to be enough inchelium red garlic to fill my 2x8 bed.
I've had the same problem buying groceries! My (not the slightest bit Asian) family used the words the way you do. Saying "Napa cabbage" seems to have a higher degree of success in communicating what I mean than Chinese cabbage, but even then, Bok Choy seems more popular so people will still assume that's what I mean. Even though Chinese cabbage looks like a oblong head of CABBAGE and bok choy looks more like... celery or something.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Garlic - Chinese cabbage plants and garlic... ?? Empty Re: Chinese cabbage plants and garlic... ??

Post  trolleydriver 9/8/2016, 11:18 am

According to Wikipedia ...

"Chinese cabbage (Brassica rapa, subspecies pekinensis and chinensis) can refer to two groups of Chinese leaf vegetables often used in Chinese cuisine: the Pekinensis Group (napa cabbage) and the Chinensis Group (bok choy)."

So the nursery was not wrong in selling Bok Choy as Chinese Cabbage since it is a type of Chinese Cabbage.  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/8/2016, 7:46 pm

TD, Thanks for posting this info.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 9/10/2016, 7:07 am

I have 3 garlic sprouts that volunteered in my bed that had squash, peas, and cukes during the spring/summer.  I fluffed up, added compost and planted mustard, lettuce and bok choy about 2 weeks ago.  Guess I must have missed some garlic when I harvested in June.   Embarassed  Garlic is going into the sweet potato tubs this year.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down