Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
1 - What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 4 Toplef101 - What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

1 - What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 4 I22gcj101 - What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
1 - What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 4 Toplef101 - What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

1 - What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 4 I22gcj101 - What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow??

+19
newbeone
Fiz
Robbomb116
AlwaysHotinFL
yolos
jimmy cee
floyd1440
audrey.jeanne.roberts
llama momma
trolleydriver
reynajrainwater
Mimi2
landarch
CapeCoddess
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
countrynaturals
BeetlesPerSqFt
Judy McConnell
23 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

1 - What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 4 Empty Re: What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow??

Post  CapeCoddess 7/12/2017, 3:38 pm

Still trying to grow melon. I think my hot season is too short. But I recently planted some cantaloupe seeds that have sprouted just in case I get lucky this year.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

1 - What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 4 Empty Re: What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow??

Post  CapeCoddess 7/12/2017, 3:47 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Is there a way to preserve it for winter?  Freeze?  I don't can.

1. Kale

You could steam them in the microwave. Wet them, stick them in a glass bowl, dig a hole in the center so they cook evenly, cover, hit it on hi for a minute, let them sit in there and rest for another minute, test to make sure they are done to your liking, chop, freeze on a cookie sheet/parchment thingy, bag. Easy peasy. If you like soggy veggies, as does my mother, hit it for 2 or 3 minutes.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/12/2017, 9:16 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Still trying to grow melon.  I think my  hot season is too short.  But I recently planted some cantaloupe seeds that have sprouted just in case I get lucky this year.  
OK, I researched this and feel confident in advising:  Melons in the South Annex

I grew Minnesota Midgets (muskmelons ) last year.  South side of my brick house in a large container.  They were amazing, fast and vigorous , small, personal sized melons. Got 8 or so.

Sakatas Sweets:  Honeydew type, you can and should eat rind and all; just super sweet and prolific!  Probably got 12-14.  Softball size

Black tail Mountain watermelons:  Lots of seeds, but nice fruits, got 4 or 5 total, and really super sweet!

I have seeds if you want to PMme!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/13/2017, 3:54 pm

Thanks, SR...good to know. My zombie garden was on the south side and right now it's empty. I'll transplant some of those sprouts into it. They have 1st true leaves now so it's time.

May take you up on the seeds next year. Too late to start here now I think.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/13/2017, 4:08 pm

SR ... You sent me Pinetree Sakata's Sweet Melon which are small seeds and some other much larger seeds. Do you know what the large seeds are?  I've got one plant from those large seeds in my megatrellis U-bed and it is doing very well. I've also got a plant from the Sakata's Sweet small seeds growing in one of my 4x4 beds. It's still a small plant but seems to be quite healthy. I tried to get some more Sakata's Sweet started but failed ... either did not germinate because of the cool wet weather or a critter got them. But I'd like to know what kind of melon to expect from the larger seeds.  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/13/2017, 4:12 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:Still trying to grow melon.  I think my  hot season is too short.  But I recently planted some cantaloupe seeds that have sprouted just in case I get lucky this year.  
OK, I researched this and feel confident in advising:  Melons in the South Annex

I grew Minnesota Midgets (muskmelons ) last year.  South side of my brick house in a large container.  They were amazing, fast and vigorous , small, personal sized melons. Got 8 or so.

Sakatas Sweets:  Honeydew type, you can and should eat rind and all; just super sweet and prolific!  Probably got 12-14.  Softball size

Black tail Mountain watermelons:  Lots of seeds, but nice fruits, got 4 or 5 total, and really super sweet!

I have seeds if you want to PMme!
I'm still struggling with melons, too. Baker Creek says Black tail Mountain watermelon will do well in heat and drought, so you'll be hearing from me. Thanks, scorpio. 1 - What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 4 3170584802
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/13/2017, 9:44 pm

Yes, my watermelons are both setting fruit!  Others are flowering their little green butts off!  

I have also a cross that I can send some seeds
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 7/14/2017, 9:00 am

One thing I will try hard not to grow next year that I grew lots of this year.......................WEEDS!!!
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 7/14/2017, 9:30 am

SR, raw kale salad!  Clean it, tear into pieces then add olive oil and garlic to taste.  Massage it 2-3 mins; add salt, pepper and fresh Parmesan cheese.  That is our favorite way to eat kale; although I do blanch and freeze it for soups in the winter.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/15/2017, 1:49 pm

Cajun Cappy wrote:One thing I will try hard not to grow next year that I grew lots of this year.......................WEEDS!!!
Razz

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4