Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
garden pics...(tough year so far) Toplef10garden pics...(tough year so far) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

garden pics...(tough year so far) I22gcj10garden pics...(tough year so far) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
garden pics...(tough year so far) Toplef10garden pics...(tough year so far) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

garden pics...(tough year so far) I22gcj10garden pics...(tough year so far) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

garden pics...(tough year so far)

3 posters

Go down

garden pics...(tough year so far) Empty garden pics...(tough year so far)

Post  landarch 7/22/2016, 10:15 pm

I decided to post a few SFG pics...with the 110 heat indexes, disease, pests, etc. the SFG seems to be going downhill on a daily basis.  Not sure if I should rip everything out and re-seed veggies like cukes...or pick what I can and get ready for the fall garden.  Any thoughts?  Spring harvest was great with excellent sugar peas, beets, carrots, onions, lettuce, etc.

below is a typical older cucumber leaf...maybe a mixture of disease, nutrient deficiency, spider mites, etc.
garden pics...(tough year so far) Cuke_l11

below are cuke plants that looked half-way decent have just started looking like this in the last day or so.
garden pics...(tough year so far) Cuke_l10

below are green bean leaves sucked dry by mites...i have entire 4x4 beds that look like this.
garden pics...(tough year so far) Bean_l10

below is a typical pickling cuke...poor pollination.  english and beit alpha types doing a  bit better.  plenty of honey and bumble bees around.
garden pics...(tough year so far) Cuke_n10

below are 2 month old cuke plants...not even two grids up on a cattle panel trellis.
garden pics...(tough year so far) Cukes_10

below is a typical cherry tomato plant...of the three plants in the ground for two months I've probably picked 5 cherry tomatoes. 
garden pics...(tough year so far) Tomato10

below may be a bright spot...I had some leftover plants and my neighbor let me plant her old garden plot right next to our driveway...plants here look much better...much less sun but at least protected from the brutal heat.  Tomatoes and eggplants look 10x better than the SFG with plenty of blossoms, fruit set, virtually no disease or pests, etc.  On the drive edge is a trombone squash...grows about 1' per day and teh first squash just apeared.
garden pics...(tough year so far) Trombo10

I'll be headed to the community garden tomorrow to check peppers and green beans in additional SFG beds, hopefully pick some tomatoes and peppers (hybrid peppers not blocky and thick-walled like they should be and like I grew last year...thin walled and contorted so far this year), add another line to my Florida weave, etc.  Hopefully more pics later.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

garden pics...(tough year so far) Empty Re: garden pics...(tough year so far)

Post  CapeCoddess 7/23/2016, 3:30 pm

I don't know what's going on with the cukes in the first and second photos and you didn't say how old they were but looking at that made me think 'tired'.  Do you have some compost you can side dress them with? If not  try something like  Espoma fertilizer and see if they improve, if they don't I would pull them up and start over. In the meantime start some new ones elsewhere. Your squash along the driveway looks fabulous. Mine looks like this everyday: garden pics...(tough year so far) Img_2057
Rolling Eyes
...and my three month old pepper plants are still about 4 inches high. As you know, it's different every year, landarch, and we learn something new all the time. Don't give up.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 7/23/2016, 5:10 pm

landarch wrote:I decided to post a few SFG pics...with the 110 heat indexes, disease, pests, etc. the SFG seems to be going downhill on a daily basis.  Not sure if I should rip everything out and re-seed veggies like cukes...or pick what I can and get ready for the fall garden.  Any thoughts?  Spring harvest was great with excellent sugar peas, beets, carrots, onions, lettuce, etc.

below is a typical older cucumber leaf...maybe a mixture of disease, nutrient deficiency, spider mites, etc.
garden pics...(tough year so far) Cuke_l11

below are cuke plants that looked half-way decent have just started looking like this in the last day or so.
garden pics...(tough year so far) Cuke_l10

below are green bean leaves sucked dry by mites...i have entire 4x4 beds that look like this.
garden pics...(tough year so far) Bean_l10

below is a typical pickling cuke...poor pollination.  english and beit alpha types doing a  bit better.  plenty of honey and bumble bees around.
garden pics...(tough year so far) Cuke_n10

below are 2 month old cuke plants...not even two grids up on a cattle panel trellis.
garden pics...(tough year so far) Cukes_10

below is a typical cherry tomato plant...of the three plants in the ground for two months I've probably picked 5 cherry tomatoes. 
garden pics...(tough year so far) Tomato10

below may be a bright spot...I had some leftover plants and my neighbor let me plant her old garden plot right next to our driveway...plants here look much better...much less sun but at least protected from the brutal heat.  Tomatoes and eggplants look 10x better than the SFG with plenty of blossoms, fruit set, virtually no disease or pests, etc.  On the drive edge is a trombone squash...grows about 1' per day and teh first squash just apeared.
garden pics...(tough year so far) Trombo10

I'll be headed to the community garden tomorrow to check peppers and green beans in additional SFG beds, hopefully pick some tomatoes and peppers (hybrid peppers not blocky and thick-walled like they should be and like I grew last year...thin walled and contorted so far this year), add another line to my Florida weave, etc.  Hopefully more pics later.

Hi Landarch. I live near the St Louis, MO area and I think the heat has had a LOT to do with it. I have two 4x4's and four, 4x8's and in late march, with the help of hoop houses, everything was going gangbusters.  Then, it started going down hill a little each day. The cool weather crops did really good before it got so hot.

My tomato plants started turning brown from the ground up. My cukes looked worse than yours and I had to take my pole beans out.

The only thing I have left that's still doing good is my carrots, beets and peppers.
I think a lot of it was my fault because I only used one kind of compost. Now I know better and I'm going to amend all of my beds before I plant my fall garden.

I love the summertime but I'm almost longing for the fall to hurry up.  bounce
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 7/23/2016, 6:32 pm

Cape, cukes are about 2 months old.  Ready to pic 5-6 nice ones for pasta salad this evening.  I do have some new compost ready to go...and I'll also be prepping some squares for fall crops.  I have fertilized with coop-poop (well balanced organic fertilizer).  When I pulled one of the smaller plants up there was hardly any root system.  Maybe I'll clear some squares along the trellis this evening, work in some more compost, and get some new seed started.

I did pick a large crate of tomatoes this morning...roma-types are doing the best.  About have the others that are ripening have either been sunburned or eaten away by a nasty, gray blister beetle about an inch long.

I also picked about 2 gallon of some really nice green beans.

It's supposed to rain early next week with some warmer temp...heat advisory continues until then.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 7/23/2016, 6:34 pm

Mr., I hear you...very hot and muggy lately.  It was also a relatively dry and warm winter...lots of pests love that.  Beets, carrots, lettuce, and sugar peas have been my best crops so far this year.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down