Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
humus, humic substances and humic acid in our soil and compost Toplef10humus, humic substances and humic acid in our soil and compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

humus, humic substances and humic acid in our soil and compost I22gcj10humus, humic substances and humic acid in our soil and compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
humus, humic substances and humic acid in our soil and compost Toplef10humus, humic substances and humic acid in our soil and compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

humus, humic substances and humic acid in our soil and compost I22gcj10humus, humic substances and humic acid in our soil and compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

humus, humic substances and humic acid in our soil and compost

+3
Kelejan
Yardslave
has55
7 posters

Go down

humus, humic substances and humic acid in our soil and compost Empty humus, humic substances and humic acid in our soil and compost

Post  has55 7/29/2015, 7:12 pm

Great read about the soil. different links required to put it all in one place. have fun.

Humus - It's The Dirt !

HUMIC SUBSTANCES – 1-overview

HUMIC SUBSTANCES – 2-WHAT THEY ARE, AND CAN DO

HUMIC SUBSTANCES - 3 THE ENVIRONMENT

HUMIC ACID

Humus ~ Technical1
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

humus, humic substances and humic acid in our soil and compost Empty Re: humus, humic substances and humic acid in our soil and compost

Post  Yardslave 7/29/2015, 10:23 pm

That stuff is worth the price of admission. Good for veggies, and particularly good for helping to get clay soils to unlock. It worked miracles on my water repellent lawn. The original sod had been planted in 3 inches of clay at the sod farm and delivered in rolls. The lawn was a bear to water if the soil base dried out too much, and the humic granules did the trick. Word of warning: use a mask- stuffs nasty on the respiratory system.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

humus, humic substances and humic acid in our soil and compost Empty Re: humus, humic substances and humic acid in our soil and compost

Post  has55 7/30/2015, 10:24 am

I glad to hear that because the lawn is my next experiment to get it more pourous with compost. This will increase earthworm foraging, tunneling and verimi-poop Embarassed . Do you remember what was the formula you use for your lawn?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 7/30/2015, 5:25 pm

I broadcast the stuff with a hand broadcaster (wish I cous remember the setting). and watered it in with daily sprinkle.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/30/2015, 9:03 pm

thank you.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/1/2015, 4:28 pm

Thanks for these links, has55.  I have read the home Pae of the Soil Guy  and I have bookmarked it.  Lots to learn there.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/13/2019, 8:16 pm

Very interesting thread! I was doing a search to see if there any threads on Humic DG, and came across this one.  I have been researching Humic Acid to up my game in gardening as well as landscaping, and this info is very useful.  One of the things I like about the Humic DG is that it is not only dustless, but it disperses the humic as soon as it gets wet.

Andersons Humic DG

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 9/14/2019, 10:42 am

OhioGardener wrote:Very interesting thread! I was doing a search to see if there any threads on Humic DG, and came across this one.  I have been researching Humic Acid to up my game in gardening as well as landscaping, and this info is very useful.  One of the things I like about the Humic DG is that it is not only dustless, but it disperses the humic as soon as it gets wet.

Andersons Humic DG
I planned to make the liquid type humic acid from my Bioreactor when it mature. It almost time.It seem like it was yesterday when I made the bioreactor. This will cost pennies and will go a longgggg way.

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 9/17/2019, 9:20 am

I don't know if I am going to explain this in a coherent way but humic acid and fulvic acid are components of humus and only exist in the lab when extracted by alkaline 13. It takes about a year to make good compost and 5 years for good compost to become humus. It is a forever process of decomposition and the reason why it takes time to build soil. After the first year or compost at its maturity you do have a percentage of humus but it will take time for the compost to be totally turned into humus. You have what the plant and the soil need to survive and thrive. If you compost and you compost for awhile and have learned to make good compost than there is no need to go out and buy it. You already possess it in a ready to use form.

I think if good things come from biodiversity and treating your soil as if it is a treasured family pet, alive and loved. Then it maybe time to have A Compost Party. This is when you either host or go to someone's house with bags of finished compost and swap with other composters while consuming your favorite beverage and talk composting. Here are a few links to maybe explain better and in further detail.

https://www.gardenmyths.com/humus-does-not-exist-says-new-study/

https://themarea.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Lehmann-and-Kebbler-2015.pdf

We are in the process of understanding soil and that it is alive and its processes are constant and never ending. Dirt is when these processes stop and you are basically left with the geological and some chemical with most of the biological either dead or dormant. And if new discoveries in the soil sciences change what I just said, then the best thing would be just forget it.

It is my belief to remain sustainable, little as possible needs to be bought.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/22/2019, 3:09 am

Dan, let me re-word to see if I have it correct. Compost, over the years, will turn into "humus". However, humus can only be identified in the laboratory after treating with 13pH alkaline. So, "humus" is still a mystery but it does have a lot of carbon.

Summary, for vegetable gardens, keep adding quality compost and keep it moist. Not soggy, as oxygen and air pockets are necessary to prevent anaerobic conditions.

From "Teaming with Microbes", veggies thrive in bacterial dominated environment. Perennials such as shrubs and trees thrive in fungal dominated environment. But, that's a different topic than veggie gardens.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/22/2019, 5:12 pm

Dan I used to get envious at what I used to see daily  .. It was what over 90 years of father & 84 year old son did to two vey big veg plots that had not only been fed almost annually with composted veg matter in a five year cycle.

They also got  fed in the fourth winter  with well composted animal  poops & their beddings all being composted for several years, well turned and aeriated  .

The beds were almost level as a pool table and some two feet taller than the rest of the local authority owned garden allotments . What was amazing was that the quality soil was a good four feet deep as the old son practiced double trench digging on the fifth plot as he fed it .

He grew nine inch dia four foot long parsnips  with ease , his carrots were similar too . 
 I'm now in my 10 year of using Mel's soilless method , have been adding four year old mulched in a trash bag hedgecuttings for a more coarse bitty  additive as  well as spent tomato tub fills & pure veg matter composts & composted dungs  to keep the beds open & being fed these last three years .

I've managed to fully service about 1/3 of the beds with this well composted mix of different rate rotting out materials and it's very noticeable something is much better .

Tonight I pulled a 10 inch long carrot with a girth for much of it's length similar to two stacked up 330ml coke cans .  They are fantastic , as crunchy & sweet as fresh pulled baby carrots .. we only needed 1/2 of the carrot  tonight for the three of us .

Feeding your bed annually or as soon as you harvest a single plant  with a compost that has different rate material rotting away times  happening over a long time period is certainly the way to go . 

In some of the old gardening books I used to have in my little library of useful books , some going back to 1910 & earlier   it was always stated that you must use  a four or five crop rotation with the fallow part being double dug and fed one wheel barrow of well composted manure  every yard dug before winter arrived  . then if you wanted to grow  ground vines celery or tomatoes outdoors  add in another wheel barrow of well rotted composted animal manures to the same square yard you grow them .
I Most of them often stated that by using a good well composted  animal manure bed feeding regime  would still have plenty of valuable nutrients left in the compost after seven years but a lot of the phosphates would have leached out so re-manure at least once every seven years. 

Made me understand why my dad (general  farm hand )   used to often finish his digging at home in moonlight ( 1955 ) just before the first frost came .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/23/2019, 3:19 am

Plantoid happy hi

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/23/2019, 6:38 am

Hello folks .. I've got a bit more free time in my busy life so might be visiting ANSFG a little bit more in the winter months .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/23/2019, 8:15 am

Lovely to see more of you, Plantoid. happy hi
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/23/2019, 7:52 pm

happy hi

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down