Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First post ever on any forum...scary! Toplef10First post ever on any forum...scary! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First post ever on any forum...scary! I22gcj10First post ever on any forum...scary! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First post ever on any forum...scary! Toplef10First post ever on any forum...scary! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First post ever on any forum...scary! I22gcj10First post ever on any forum...scary! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 6:17 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

First post ever on any forum...scary!

+6
CapeCoddess
ralitaco
sanderson
AtlantaMarie
Windmere
DeenaTaylor
10 posters

Go down

First post ever on any forum...scary! Empty First post ever on any forum...scary!

Post  DeenaTaylor 4/10/2015, 6:02 pm

Just signed up for the instructors class.  I love my SFG's and need to get busy planting.
May have to do it at night b/c I let my winter broccoli flower and the bees keep chasing me off!Shocked
DeenaTaylor
DeenaTaylor

Female Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

First post ever on any forum...scary! Empty Re: First post ever on any forum...scary!

Post  Windmere 4/10/2015, 6:33 pm

Welcome Deena.  Well, if you're gonna start somewhere with a first post, this is probably one of the best places to do it.  Folks here are very helpful and very understanding.  I'm sure you could teach me a thing or two!

Welcome again and I wish you much success in all your gardening endeavors.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

First post ever on any forum...scary! Empty Re: First post ever on any forum...scary!

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/10/2015, 7:49 pm

Hi Deena.  Welcome from Atlanta, GA!  Glad you're joining us!

This was MY first forum as well.  Lots of great folks here with hard-earned info on gardening...!

Just so you know - the official night-time bug-hunting/gardening outfit is a robe, slippers, and a flashlight - preferably one that fits on your head.  Shocked Laughing   Laughing spouses are accessories...  Wink
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/10/2015, 8:53 pm

Hi, Deena. Welcome to the world's nicest Forum from California! glad you\'re here We are here to help and share and laugh.

On another note: If have bees you are so lucky. I have to use little artist paint brushes to pollinate melons and squashes. Your bees were probably checking out what you were planting and if they could get pollen from them. I can appreciate the fear of bees. After 25 months of gardening and being a member of this Forum, I have changed from quickly walking away from the orange and zylosma trees when they are in bloom to walking underneath, just listening to the buzz. Even with "killer bees," as long as the nest isn't anywhere in the vicinity, they probably aren't interested in you. I used to be quite comical running away from black bumble bees. I would then send my husband outside to spray them. Now I can ignore them, also.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/11/2015, 10:02 am

Welcome from NC...For you it's bees...for me it was my 1st encounter with HORNWORMS  Shocked
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1314

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/11/2015, 10:54 am

Hi Gina  happy hi , welcome to the forum! You're lucky gardener to have bees around! Feel free to jump in and ask or answer any question you want to. Your experience is valuable. Also, know that we love photos!
CC

Ralitaco, love the avatar!
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/11/2015, 4:16 pm

WELCOME to the forum - we're usually fairly well-mannered and rarely bite, LOL!  

I have learned so much here the past 3 years, I started as a total newbie to veggie gardening though I had landscape gardened for years.  Now I think I'm feeding my little corner of the world  Wink
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/11/2015, 11:02 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Ralitaco, love the avatar!
thanks
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1314

Back to top Go down

Post  FRED58 4/12/2015, 8:53 am

Funny, I could have sworn I had posted on this thread. Anyway there are lots of ways to attract solitary bees to your garden. Try Googling "Mason Bee House". (Mason Bees are common all over North America, and good pollinators). The homes are easy to build, but you can also buy them from Amazon and Lee Valley (I don't know if Lee Valley is in the US though). Good luck and welcome from the Great White North!
FRED58
FRED58

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 4/12/2015, 9:15 am

Welcome to the forum!!! Don't be scared we don't bit just borrow ideas. Very Happy
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

First post ever on any forum...scary! Empty Welcome

Post  Razed Bed 4/12/2015, 10:34 am

Posting on forums is not scary as long as you choose the right forums. You chose the right forum. You will not have some low-life cursing your posts like in some of the ones where people with no life think better of themselves by mouthing off.

I would guess that most of the people here are well-above average in education, success, and manners.

We have a few bees but nothing like we used to have. A neighbor down the street had a large honeybee setup and made honey, but three or four years ago, they all seemed to fly away and never come back. There was no evidence of dead bees; they just disappeared.

We have wasps, hornets, and other bee substitutes, but the honeybees have been greatly reduced in our area. Nobody knows for sure why. Many believe it is GMO and pesticide related and blame Monsanto. Others say that increased pollution in our heavily growing metropolis has caused the problem. Some say it is some epidemic killing them off.

However, the key to me is that my neighbor's bees flew away. Maybe they decided to retire and fly to Florida.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down