Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pesticides, fungicides, disease prevention, etc. Toplef10Pesticides, fungicides, disease prevention, etc. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pesticides, fungicides, disease prevention, etc. I22gcj10Pesticides, fungicides, disease prevention, etc. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pesticides, fungicides, disease prevention, etc. Toplef10Pesticides, fungicides, disease prevention, etc. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pesticides, fungicides, disease prevention, etc. I22gcj10Pesticides, fungicides, disease prevention, etc. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Pesticides, fungicides, disease prevention, etc.

4 posters

Go down

Pesticides, fungicides, disease prevention, etc. Empty Pesticides, fungicides, disease prevention, etc.

Post  BigTerp 3/30/2015, 1:39 pm

Just a fairly general question about what everyone does to help prevent pests, control diseases and fungus in your SFG? Is this something that should be addressed after planting, or something you don't worry about until you notice a problem? Just curious if I should be proactive with my garden now before problems start to show up. FWIW, I'll be having the following in my SFG this year

peas
lettuce
spinach
onions
carrots
potatoes
beans
tomatoes
cauliflower (maybe)
broccoli (maybe)

Thanks!!
BigTerp
BigTerp

Back to top Go down

Pesticides, fungicides, disease prevention, etc. Empty Re: Pesticides, fungicides, disease prevention, etc.

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/30/2015, 2:24 pm

Oh, yes...  LOTS of discussions about this.....

You may see comments about our nighttime hunting outfits for slugs, etc. - robes, slippers, head-flashlights... 

You might want to look thru the archives.  There are also some good websites that Camprn recommends. 

Camp, can you jump in here?  I can't remember them off the top of my head!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Pesticides, fungicides, disease prevention, etc. Empty Re: Pesticides, fungicides, disease prevention, etc.

Post  Windmere 3/30/2015, 2:44 pm

BigTerp,

You are indeed going to find that we all use different pest control methods.  Perhaps one unifying element is that we all tend to use organic pest/fungus solutions.

The past two years, I have used a mixture of neem oil (a natural oil that comes from India) and peppermint soap on an "as needed" basis.  I've noticed that every year, white flies get into my seed starters because I put them outside during the day if it is sunny.  I prepare a very weak neem oil and peppermint soap (in water).  A spray of that immediately takes care of the problem.  The peppermint soap can work as a natural anti-fungal.

The other product I like to use is Bacillus Thurengensis ("Bt") for my tomatoes, and anything else that worms might like to eat.  I was surprised to find that it worked very well on my kale crops last year.  This substance only works in insects in the larva stage.  In a nutshell, it contains a naturally occurring soil borne organism.   After Bt spores are ingested by the larva, they produce chrystalline toxins as they grow and reproduce.  These toxins paralyze the digestive tract of the larva.  It stops eating and dies within about 12 hours to 5 days. 

Again, we are all different when it comes to this topic.  I try very hard not to use these products in a way that will adversely affect pollinators.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/30/2015, 2:48 pm

Yes, definitely be proactive.  I don't know your environment, but we get early blight on tomatoes, Squash Vine Borer and squash bugs and powdery mildew on squash and pumpkins, caterpillers on brassicas, aphids on southern peas, Japanese beetles on beans, pickle worms and downy mildew on cucumbers.  Every year.  Be prepared and start investigating early before they/it find your garden.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down