Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Indoor SFG? Toplef10Indoor SFG? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Indoor SFG? I22gcj10Indoor SFG? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Indoor SFG? Toplef10Indoor SFG? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Indoor SFG? I22gcj10Indoor SFG? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Indoor SFG?

+3
CapeCoddess
yolos
jseyfert3
7 posters

Go down

Indoor SFG? Empty Indoor SFG?

Post  jseyfert3 3/25/2015, 1:05 pm

Has anyone ever done an indoor SFG? I'm curious. At one point I was planning to do an indoor hydroponic garden. It hasn't got around to happening, due to time and the initial expense. But now that I know about SFG, I'm wondering if it'd be easy to do a box indoors, year round (while, I mean in the winter months when you can't use the free sunlight outside). I figure Mel's Mix is easier than water, air pumps, checking nutrient levels and pH, etc. Also you use Metal Halide or High Pressure Sodium Vapor lights, and a 600 W light (approximately 20,000 lumens Shocked) is good for about a 4'4' to 7'x7' area, so a 4'x4' SFG would be the perfect size for a single 600 W light!

It'd be around $200-$250 for the light and venting so you can vent that hot air from the light outside in the summer and not add to your AC load (or overheat your plants), or indoors in winter to cut on your heating load. Then you'd just have to build a box and buy the peat moss and vermiculite, so maybe $300-$350 to get going, and $12-$25 a month in electricity during the months you "run" the indoor garden (depending on lighting times and electricity costs in your area).

Now you have fresh veggies year round, even in cold climates!
jseyfert3
jseyfert3

Back to top Go down

Indoor SFG? Empty Re: Indoor SFG?

Post  yolos 3/25/2015, 2:02 pm

How do you propose to catch the runoff from watering.  You could use those thingies they put under showers, but I bet that would raise the price considerably.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/25/2015, 3:01 pm

I've used a window box along with individual pots & clampacks to grow cold crops for the past 2 yrs in winter all filled with MM.  They live in my dining room box bay window. I've battled aphids, gnats and fruit flies while growing indoors.  And I usually give up the fight around January or so.  Altho this year I still have some turnip greens growing isolated in another room.  They got aphids but I need to plant them out for seed harvesting this year.  I had to isolate them as I've started cold crop seeds in the window for outside SFG planting once weather warms a bit.

I brought in and grew a fruited and flowering Roma tomato plant 2 yrs ago and gave away fresh picked toms for Christmas.  But my set up wasn't warm or light enough to produce new fruits with any speed, as the flowers were taking forever to bloom, so it wasn't worth it later on.

You can check out Ray Browns VooDoo garden on YouTube.  He has a room that he grows all kinds of things in year round.  It's not SFG but he has lots of good ideas that maybe you could use for you indoor SFG.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/25/2015, 7:59 pm

I've grown a couple tomato plants, an exotic pepper, beets, and a tumeric plant, all  in MM in planters.  They were grown in a 3x7 closet with ventilation and reflective wall covering, using either a 600w MH or HPS bulb.  My harvests weren't worthwhile.  

At 14-16 hours per day, my power cost was $30-35 month.

Now, I only grow fast growing lettuce and chard under lights during winter.  I can get harvestable lettuce in 30 days, under cheap florescent lights.  Fresh is best, but I'm getting pretty good at putting up enough food during harvest times to get me through the winter.

If I were to try fruiting or root-type veggies indoors again, I would start them in pots outdoors in late summer so that they would be nearing maturity at my first frost date, and then I would move them indoors under lights to finish them over winter.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 3/25/2015, 9:41 pm

I wonder if something like this would work for you in this situation?

NOOCITY GROWBED

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Indoor SFG? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/26/2015, 2:18 am

California has high electricity costs. Our bill was over $500 in the summer so we got Solar panels. Add anything stronger than fluorescent shop lights, like I use for Feb seedlings,well, I might as well shop at Whole Foods for my produce! Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jseyfert3 3/26/2015, 12:34 pm

yolos wrote:How do you propose to catch the runoff from watering.  You could use those thingies they put under showers, but I bet that would raise the price considerably.
Cheap gutters, perhaps, at $3-$4 per 10 foot section, so you'd need around $16 worth of gutter or so. Or maybe a tarp carefully hung under the box.

sanderson wrote:California has high electricity costs. Our bill was over $500 in the summer so we got Solar panels. Add anything stronger than fluorescent shop lights, like I use for Feb seedlings,well, I might as well shop at Whole Foods for my produce! Indoor SFG? Icon_biggrin
My last bill my delivery and supply costs totaled 7.3 cents per kWh. This does not include taxes (about 1 cent per kWh). So Around 8.3 cents per kWh, not including fixed monthly customer charges that do not vary based on usage amounts.

So for a 600 W light would use 0.6 kWh per hour, so for a month at 14 hours a day it would cost: 0.6*14*30*.083 = $20.92/month additional cost on top of regular usage.

$500...that's crazy! Shocked

boffer wrote:I've grown a couple tomato plants, an exotic pepper, beets, and a tumeric plant, all  in MM in planters.  They were grown in a 3x7 closet with ventilation and reflective wall covering, using either a 600w MH or HPS bulb.  My harvests weren't worthwhile.  

At 14-16 hours per day, my power cost was $30-35 month.

Now, I only grow fast growing lettuce and chard under lights during winter.  I can get harvestable lettuce in 30 days, under cheap florescent lights.  Fresh is best, but I'm getting pretty good at putting up enough food during harvest times to get me through the winter.

If I were to try fruiting or root-type veggies indoors again, I would start them in pots outdoors in late summer so that they would be nearing maturity at my first frost date, and then I would move them indoors under lights to finish them over winter.
Hmm, I wonder why. Thanks for the info, interesting to compare to to results I've researched with hydroponic growth. Apparently with hydroponic tomatoes and other stuff the results are really good. Good to the extent that they grow faster than they would in an outdoor garden. Then again ideal hydroponics has unlimited water to the plants with no root rot and extremely readily available nutrients (tweaked to the plants being grown). So that may make up for the pitfalls of being grown indoors.

So maybe I'll have to stick with hydroponics for an indoor winter garden, or move mostly mature plants inside when the first frost hits like you suggest, which is a pretty good idea.

Just curious, fresh tomatoes in the middle of February would be awesome. Year round salad greens under cheap lights sound good too, and definitely easier to do.
jseyfert3
jseyfert3

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/26/2015, 1:48 pm

jseyfert3 wrote:
sanderson wrote:California has high electricity costs. Our bill was over $500 in the summer so we got Solar panels. Add anything stronger than fluorescent shop lights, like I use for Feb seedlings,well, I might as well shop at Whole Foods for my produce! Indoor SFG? Icon_biggrin
My last bill my delivery and supply costs totaled 7.3 cents per kWh. This does not include taxes (about 1 cent per kWh). So Around 8.3 cents per kWh, not including fixed monthly customer charges that do not vary based on usage amounts.

So for a 600 W light would use 0.6 kWh per hour, so for a month at 14 hours a day it would cost: 0.6*14*30*.083 = $20.92/month additional cost on top of regular usage.

$500...that's crazy! Shocked

Our Current Gov, Jerry Brown, was a previous Gov in 1975-83.  Back then, in order to prevent blackouts, he purchased very expensive electricity from out of State (BPU).  We also have a subsidized low/no income program where occupants pay like $50-$150 max per month.  So, our monthly bill also pays for their usage.  So, Welcome to the golden State. cyclops

DH and I pay $220 a month for solar and nearly break even with the electricity utility. So, glad we went solar. Can't tolerate the summer heat at all.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/27/2015, 8:40 pm

You might regret using MM for an indoor bed or pot for the compost in it attracts all manner of pesky small flies & creepies that procreate or lay eggs in it . 

It was only after a bit of deduction that I realised I was getting eaten alive each night  by the bugs coming out of the indoor plant pots filled with MM . To confirm it I used two new sticky fly catching papers  hung in the bed room each night for a week , took the plants out and repeated the exercise and had hardly anything on the new papers .

We now only use vermiculite and peat in the indoor pots and only feed then with a chemical liquid feed for indoor plants .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down