Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 4 Toplef10What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 4 I22gcj10What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 4 Toplef10What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 4 I22gcj10What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What varieties are you excited about trying this year?

+18
llama momma
Scorpio Rising
Turan
johnp
camprn
dstack
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Rolling Stone
slimbolen99
CapeCoddess
AtlantaMarie
floyd1440
sanderson
kamigh
mschaef
has55
yolos
Windmere
22 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 4 Empty Re: What varieties are you excited about trying this year?

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/3/2016, 4:33 pm

LS - a hint a friend suggested for keeping birds out of blueberries... put plastic snakes in and around the plants. Move them around every day. Works for me!

Here is a link to an article on blueberry leaf tea:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/24647-blueberry-tea-benefits/
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 4 Empty Re: What varieties are you excited about trying this year?

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/7/2016, 9:34 pm

Excited about these varieties!

Peace vine cherry tomato & ox heart..thanks, littlesapphire!

Ground cherries, beit alpha cuke, Minnesota midget melon, Super sugar snap peas, Big Red sweet pepper, Tokyo across turnip...

Lots of other stuff, this is my stuff from Pinetree!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/8/2016, 1:45 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:Minnesota midget melon
The cantaloupe? I enjoyed them one summer.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/8/2016, 7:15 am

sanderson wrote:
The cantaloupe?  I enjoyed them one summer.

Yep! Short season, small fruited variety. I have never grown a melon of any type, I have 3 to try this year. Sakatas melon and Black Mountain watermelon. All suitable for trellis.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 1/8/2016, 7:52 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
sanderson wrote:
The cantaloupe?  I enjoyed them one summer.

Yep!  Short season, small fruited variety.  I have never grown a melon of any type, I have 3 to try this year.  Sakatas melon and Black Mountain watermelon.  All suitable for trellis.  
Oh, I can't wait to hear how your melons do.  I've been wanting to try the black mountain variety because it's a short season melon.  I've only grown melons successfully once; it was sugarbaby watermelon, and I got three apple sized melons from my two plants.  And even though they were only apple sized, they still had the amount of seeds a normal melon would have!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/8/2016, 9:42 pm

Ewwww, jeez, that is a lot of seeds, right thinking I hope these are good producers...

Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 1/9/2016, 8:51 pm

I'm most excited about this Kosmic Kale. It is a PERENNIAL kale that can't be reproduced from seeds - only from root cuttings. It was given to me by Garden America at the Mid-Atlantic Nursery Trade Show. LOL now I have to learn how to take root cuttings. Very Happy

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 4 Kosmic10

My other score from MANTS . . . seeds from Lake Valley Organics. They gave me a variety of sprouting seeds and a couple packets each of 37 different types of veggies imported from Italy. Think I'm gonna try my hand at selling transplants at a local farmers market. This will also be great for the school garden(s) on tap for this year. Here are just a few:

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 4 Italia10

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 4 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 1/9/2016, 9:17 pm

Oh, that kale sounds so interesting!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 1/9/2016, 9:19 pm

It's quite mild. I've got to stop eating it until I get what I need to do the root cuttings.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 4 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/12/2016, 8:08 am

Perennial in any zone? It is a pretty plant!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  MelF77 1/13/2016, 8:33 pm

I'm excited about my platinum cucumbers, french cantaloupes and I have a good selection of early Ukrainian/Russian tomatoes to pick from, plus all the other tomatoes Very Happy

I was very excited about the 2 asparagus varities I have seed for, but I'm not sure I want to give up the space I will need for asparagus, when I could grow something else.
MelF77
MelF77

Female Posts : 29

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/13/2016, 9:47 pm

MelF77 wrote:I'm excited about my platinum cucumbers, french cantaloupes and I have a good selection of early Ukrainian/Russian tomatoes to pick from, plus all the other tomatoes Very Happy

I was very excited about the 2 asparagus varities I have seed for, but I'm not sure I want to give up the space I will need for asparagus, when I could grow something else.

Mel, I am in your camp on asparagus...I love it, and all my kids even?! But it takes a while, and a committment, because it is so long-lived, so siting is very crucial. But I am prepared to commit a full 4x4 to Asparagus none the less

That will probably bemy next year thing. Bummer, though. If you have ever had fresh picked asparagus, it (like many other things, I guess) is very different.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  MelF77 1/14/2016, 6:53 am

I have never grown asparagus myself, but have had it freshly picked in a soup. I am a firm believer in if you grow it yourself, it's fresh and tastes better. 

We'll see what happens, I know this year at least I will not be starting any asparagus. 

The cantaloupe is what I'm really excited about as I have never had enough sun in a suitable area to successfully grow cantaloupes. Can't wait Very Happy
MelF77
MelF77

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/14/2016, 7:33 am

I have never grown any type of melon, and I have 3 to try, a watermelon, and 2 others! Hope they do well!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/14/2016, 11:55 am

MelF77 wrote:I was very excited about the 2 asparagus varities I have seed for, but I'm not sure I want to give up the space I will need for asparagus, when I could grow something else.

If you start the seeds this year in a small area you can get them started.  The first year they have stems like toothpicks and only take maybe 2-3 inches so guessing at 9-16/square.  The next year you can transplant them to either their permanent home or an intermediate setting like about 4/square.  I have also seen them in nurseries in deep pots, seedlings in 2" pots and second year in 6" pots.

Which varieties of seed did you get?

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  MelF77 1/14/2016, 1:09 pm

Turan wrote:
MelF77 wrote:I was very excited about the 2 asparagus varities I have seed for, but I'm not sure I want to give up the space I will need for asparagus, when I could grow something else.

If you start the seeds this year in a small area you can get them started.  The first year they have stems like toothpicks and only take maybe 2-3 inches so guessing at 9-16/square.  The next year you can transplant them to either their permanent home or an intermediate setting like about 4/square.  I have also seen them in nurseries in deep pots, seedlings in 2" pots and second year in 6" pots.

Which varieties of seed did you get?
oh, thank you Turan. I didn't think about a smaller "holding" bed for the first year. I may start them both tomorrow than. I have the day off and planned on getting the most winter sowing done that I can before hubby gets home from work. I think asparagus would do very well with winter sowing so I can save more spots under my lights for my tender stuff.

I have seed for both Purple Passion & Precoce D'Argenteuil.
MelF77
MelF77

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 1/16/2016, 8:58 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:Perennial in any zone?  It is a pretty plant!  

Not sure about that. You could probably contact Garden America to find out. HOWEVER, kale is naturally a pretty hardy plant and if you add some protection (dome & plastic) . . .

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/16/2016, 10:41 pm

OK, thanks, Kim! True about the hardiness of kale, however, I have never (yet) grown it!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/17/2016, 11:38 pm

For me, everything is new because I haven't had a decent garden since 2004, but here's a list of plants I've never grown but trying this year from seed:

vine peach (mango melon)
celeriac
strawberry spinach
Summer purple broccoli
Armenian Metki white cucumber
Walla Walla onions

Anyone have experience with any of these? Wish me luck.  Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/17/2016, 11:55 pm

sfg4uKim wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Perennial in any zone?  It is a pretty plant!  

Not sure about that. You could probably contact Garden America to find out. HOWEVER, kale is naturally a pretty hardy plant and if you add some protection (dome & plastic) . . .

Kim, I did my homemade cloches, and my 2 kales still survive!   cheers   Not so much fir spinach, which seems to be stressed out by going from 28F to 78F in 3 days to be a bit icky tongue

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 4/17/2016, 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Autocorret)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/17/2016, 11:59 pm

Honestly, I just gave up on making this post make sense. The autocorrect is dampening me. Hope ya figure it out! hiddenID
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4