Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 3 Toplef10What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 3 I22gcj10What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 3 Toplef10What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 3 I22gcj10What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What varieties are you excited about trying this year?

+18
llama momma
Scorpio Rising
Turan
johnp
camprn
dstack
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Rolling Stone
slimbolen99
CapeCoddess
AtlantaMarie
floyd1440
sanderson
kamigh
mschaef
has55
yolos
Windmere
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: What varieties are you excited about trying this year?

Post  has55 1/17/2015, 12:40 pm

Rolling Stone wrote:We have a huge problem in our (community) gardens with the SVB destroying every squash and cucumber that has been started in the last two years, including all my zukes and cukes.
I have found the Poona Keera cucumber and the Tromboncini squash to have a solid stem which the SVB cannot penetrate.
So, I am really happy to be ordering these seeds for the coming season. And looking forward to harvest time.
Karl
Rolling stone how do those two plants taste?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: What varieties are you excited about trying this year?

Post  sanderson 1/17/2015, 1:03 pm

This flower site?  www.farmdirect.com
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 1/17/2015, 2:24 pm

has55 wrote:just order my baker creek catalog. impressive site.
Their full catalog, or the free one?  I love baker creek so much that I ordered the full one. I can't wait to get it.
dstack
dstack

Male Posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 1/17/2015, 4:41 pm

The web site for Farm Direct is    farmdirectseed.com    and it is a small family farm located on the Arkansas River. They have some unique seeds such as heirloom native American squash and Hopi black beans. I have used them for garlic for the past three years and have slowly bought other things. Excellent  seeds, all organic but they run out of stuff early.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/18/2015, 10:06 am

johnp wrote:The web site for Farm Direct is    farmdirectseed.com    and it is a small family farm located on the Arkansas River. They have some unique seeds such as heirloom native American squash and Hopi black beans. I have used them for garlic for the past three years and have slowly bought other things. Excellent  seeds, all organic but they run out of stuff early.
thank you johnp
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/18/2015, 2:32 pm

I am excited about expanding something I did with the carrots last year.  I mixed the long season and short season carrots in a bed.  As the quicker carrots made shoulders we snacked on them through the summer, thus making room for the storage carrots.  So this year I still have some Nantes and Danver half longs seed for the short season ( 70 days) and then got to mix with them Purple Sun (90 days) and Laguna (90-120).  

I did not find the tall snow pea of the past so am trying  Golden Sweet snow pea instead.  I hope it is as cold tolerant as the others were.  The seed was collected in India, so I am hoping for collected on the Himalaya foothills.

I missed the hybrid vigor in my pepper varieties from last year from Bakers.  I think I push the zone too much even with a greenhouse for such heat loving plants.  So this year I ordered some seed of Krimson Lee and Hot Hungarian Wax from Johhnys.  I bought fruits of these at the farmers market this year and the growers told me they got the seeds from Johhnys.  Soooooo  I hope that succeeds.  I will grow out the Syrian peppers again as well.  This time giving them more room and see how they do. 

Diva cucumber is a repeat for the greenhouse.  Last year I bought the plant and this year I bought seed.  It is supposed to be resistant to PM and gynoecious and parthenocarpic.  I suspect it might be a good cucumber for those of you fighting PM and lack of bees.  

I give up on Yard long beans, even in the green house.  Like okra they need too much heat or something.  So their space will be given to Helda Romano pole beans.  It has been a long time since I grew a romano bean, so it will be interesting to compare with other stringless beans.  Violet is new to me as well, a purple pole bean.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/18/2015, 3:54 pm

For store bought frozen beans, I love Trader Joe's. Thin and longish. Does anyone have any idea what variety they are?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/18/2015, 4:59 pm

sanderson wrote:For store bought frozen beans, I love Trader Joe's.  Thin and longish.  Does anyone have any idea what variety they are?

Don't know the name but I agree, they are the ultimate! Next time we go let's examine a bag VERY closely. The type may be on there somewhere. That's how I found out about their Persian cukes.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/18/2015, 5:45 pm

good idea
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 3 Empty Bump!

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/29/2015, 10:20 pm

I am already in withdrawal. Have been reading a lot, trying to find varieties to grow that I won't see in stores! Decent article here;

http://www.growgreatvegetables.com/whattogrow/myfavoritevarieties/

Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 12/30/2015, 1:15 pm

I agree with some of the varieties in the article.  Last summer's big discovery was Romano beans (Helda), Krimson Lee and Hot Hungarian Wax peppers.  This year I want to try Amish snap peas and compare them with other snap peas.  I am curious to see how my selection of Painted Mountain corn which crossed with Hookers Sweet will perform this coming year as well.

Seed catalogs are starting to show up to stir my curiousity Laughing 
Happy New Year!

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/31/2015, 8:54 am

I am going to plant a purple pole variety bean, probably Royal Velvet, have grown them before and they make it so much easier to FIND and harvest earlier! It isn't new however. I want to find some of the Cherokee Black tomato seeds, and will branch out on the tomatoe varieties. Last year, I grew 4 Brandywines and 1 Sunsugar cherry. Too many of one variety, timing was not helpful, all came on at once. The Sunsugar was a winner, will repeat that one!

Peppers, had no luck. Grew a purple bell, got one pepper. And my normally go to sweet banana gave me 3 peppers.....not sure what the problem was. It was a wet cool spring/early summer, got a late start... thinking

More carrots, and Yukon Gold potatoes were big time winners!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/31/2015, 12:22 pm

I need to try some better, more heat tolerant green beans.  Sanderson, didn't you have some to recommend?  I also struggle with spider mites in the heat of the summer and they tend to attack my beans, ideas anyone?!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/31/2015, 4:19 pm

Love hummus, so I'm interested in growing any variety of garbanzo beans to see if fresh is any better than canned.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 12/31/2015, 4:26 pm

New Big Dwarf tomato and Big Beef Tomato and Opalka tomato.  Comfrey. Imperial Artichoke.  Tom Thumb Pea.  Butternut and Acorn Squash. and, and.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/1/2016, 3:50 am

Audrey,  I also had red spider mites on the beans (and cucumbers, melons and winter squashes).  KY Wonder, Rattlesnake and Dragon Tongues.  I picked what ever beans there were and then sprayed with Dr. Bonner's and finally Neem oil.  They all had a second flush after the worst of the summer heat.

clarify: ...a second flush of beans! Not mites! Embarassed

Last edited by sanderson on 1/1/2016, 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/1/2016, 9:04 am

Kerala Red amaranth, San Marzano tomatoes, SUNFLOWERS!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/1/2016, 8:04 pm

What will you do with the amaranth, Marie? Curious
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/2/2016, 10:52 am

Well, in my research on this variety, you can eat the leaves like spinach. And, of course, the grain.

That's my big thing - I want to seal-a-meal the grain for the future. Eating the leaves is a bonus, lol.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/2/2016, 2:46 pm

Leaves in smoothies and salads?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 1/2/2016, 2:54 pm

I like the prices for the amount of amaranth seed you get at this website.  If I don't like the Amaranth in salads (which is what I am aiming for) I can cook it like a spinach or use the seeds for my micro-greens. I am not growing it for grain seeds.
http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_amaranth.html
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/2/2016, 7:47 pm

It is considered a weed here, had no idea it was grown for the leaves! Here, it is the seed head that is the thing. But is certainly intriguing. The "vegetable" type is very pretty, and so is the Love Lies Bleeding type from Johnny's, very striking!

So many plants...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/3/2016, 8:14 am

Sanderson - yep! I'll also be trying blueberry leaves this year. Supposed to be very healthy, just like the berry.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 1/3/2016, 10:42 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Sanderson - yep!  I'll also be trying blueberry leaves this year.  Supposed to be very healthy, just like the berry.
Did not know that!  I'll be looking that one up.  I haven't gotten many blueberries off my plants yet, so if you can eat the leaves, I can at least harvest something from them.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/3/2016, 11:54 am

Interesting! Learn several things new every day around here, that's for sure!

I am excited to try mache, Hakurai turnips, green bunching onions, peas and ground cherries. And give a run at a strawberry bed again.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next