Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Weather Related Toplef10Weather Related 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Weather Related I22gcj10Weather Related 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Weather Related Toplef10Weather Related 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Weather Related I22gcj10Weather Related 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Weather Related

+7
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
audrey.jeanne.roberts
brainchasm
donnainzone5
Dunkinjean
johnp
11 posters

Go down

Weather Related Empty Weather Related

Post  johnp 11/12/2014, 4:47 pm

I guess I should not complain but I didn't realize that like Dorthy I've been relocated to Fargo ND.or upper Minn.. Where else could I be; the temp. has shot up to a rousing 11 deg., the snow is blowing everywhere, about 8 inches and the wind chill must be a kazillion Degrees below 0. I just went out to feed the birds, quail and doves, for the second time today and wondered if I was going to make it back. Shocked We even had to play pickleball inside this morning.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Weather Related Empty Re: Weather Related

Post  Dunkinjean 11/12/2014, 7:50 pm

John,

So sorry the weather has turned to winter for you so quickly!
Here in Central NJ the past week it has been nice weather, but--
tomorrow and thru the weekend....brrrrr for us.
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 11/12/2014, 8:10 pm

Winter storm warning here in Central Oregon, with 7-10" of snow expected.  I snipped off my remaining broccoli florettes tonight.  This seems to be a bit early.....
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 11/12/2014, 8:42 pm

70s here through Saturday, then BAM!  59 Sunday, 60 Monday, 61 Tuesday...

It just isn't fair!  Razz

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/13/2014, 12:08 am

brainchasm wrote:70s here through Saturday, then BAM!  59 Sunday, 60 Monday, 61 Tuesday...

Dude, you're brutal to these poor, freezing folks, LOL!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/13/2014, 2:59 am

donnainzone10 wrote:Winter storm warning here in Central Oregon, with 7-10" of snow expected.  I snipped off my remaining broccoli florettes tonight.  This seems to be a bit early.....

Wow, that is a lot of snow, at least in southern Oregon terms. Last year was bad, but usually we just get a light dusting that quickly thaws. Now you've got me curious about what's coming over here ...
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 11/13/2014, 7:06 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:
brainchasm wrote:70s here through Saturday, then BAM!  59 Sunday, 60 Monday, 61 Tuesday...

Dude, you're brutal to these poor, freezing folks, LOL!

That's OK Wink , we will just laugh right back in July when it is 120 (in the shade) out there and he has to run the boiling water out of the hose before he can water his boxes, while we sit at a balmy 85-90 with the glorious natural T-storm irrigation   cloudy-bummer  keeping everything green for us!   tongue

lots o  lots o  lots o
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 11/13/2014, 8:41 am

I  guess I complained to early about going from 8 degrees to a balmy 11 yesterday. This morning it's -8, with a wind chill somewhere in the -20's. Ugly! My greenhouse temp. right now is +6.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 11/13/2014, 11:27 am

Marc,

I don't follow the forecast for your area, but you might want to check one or more weather websites for alerts.

So far, it hit 17F early this morning, with about 4" - 5" of snow on the ground.  It's still snowing.  My SFG is buried.  A Winter Storm Warning for this area remains in effect.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/13/2014, 1:14 pm

It's raining here! cloudy-bummer Somewhere out there are large pruning sheets and a pruning hand saw as I didn't know we were getting rain.  Also, my compost is on a blue tarp drying out some before storing. sobbing

Last edited by sanderson on 11/14/2014, 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/13/2014, 3:29 pm

I can sooooo identify, Sanderson. I harvested about 50 lbs. of sweet potatoes yesterday with the plan to let them sit in the wheelbarrow to dry for a week or so until we were SUPPOSED to get rain. They are now wet and sitting on a rug on the floor in the garage to dry out so they can start to cure.

What's amazing with the sweet potatoes is they grew from a single potato that was spoiling in my pantry late last spring so I threw it into a little spot in my garden that's only 5 squares. That's 10 lbs a square!!!! The greens spread about a 8-10 foot diameter circle around the planter and were so pretty that I'm going to use SPs as landscaping and just harvest all summer long. The largest one was 5 lbs. It's the biggest thing I've ever seen Shocked
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 11/13/2014, 4:39 pm

Whooaa!! 5lbs!! Nice!! I know you work hard, but you also seem to have a green thumb too. I love that you have so many SPs for the holidays.
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/13/2014, 7:35 pm

Wow, that's great. Sweet potatoes are so delicious. I'm crazy about 'em.

We're getting down to 38 on Saturday, but the next ten days have lows in the low 40's. The nights aren't getting much colder. But the days are, coming in at around the mid-50's. That's definitely new.

I like it, though. This is my favorite season by far. I love all the beautiful fall leaves, almost as much when they're on the ground as on the trees. I love it when the trees still have plenty of leaves up top but are also wearing a spectacular apron of bright yellow or red leaves. And oh how I love the cool after enduring our hot summers.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/13/2014, 10:04 pm

Audrey, I remember when you had to quickly plant the slips as you were leaving town. That is a great haul of delicious SP. Congrats!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/14/2014, 1:06 am

sanderson wrote:Audrey,  I remember when you had to quickly plant the slips as you were leaving town.  That is a great haul of delicious SP.  Congrats!
Yeah, that was a crazy, crazy time with my dad's emergency quad bypass, but in the end we had quite a productive season. I never did figure out one of my squash that got thrown in the ground without a label and no one can identify it, LOL!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/14/2014, 1:30 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I can sooooo identify, Sanderson.  I harvested about 50 lbs. of sweet potatoes yesterday with the plan to let them sit in the wheelbarrow to dry for a week or so until we were SUPPOSED to get rain.  They are now wet and sitting on a rug on the floor in the garage to dry out so they can start to cure.  

What's amazing with the sweet potatoes is they grew from a single potato that was spoiling in my pantry late last spring so I threw it into a little spot in my garden that's only 5 squares.  That's 10 lbs a square!!!!  The greens spread about a 8-10 foot diameter circle around the planter and were so pretty that I'm going to use SPs as landscaping and just harvest all summer long.  The largest one was 5 lbs.  It's the biggest thing I've ever seen Shocked
Audrey, can you post a photo of them please?  Did you take any photos of them while they were growing? My sweet potatoes up and died and I was thinking that I can't grow them here. Sad
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/14/2014, 2:14 pm

I don't remember if I took any pictures of them growing, but here's the harvest:
This guy is 13" long, 6" diameter at it's broadest and a hair under 5 lbs.  He's sitting across my largest soup pan and the tile are 6" squares for perspective.
Weather Related 20141114_105709_resized_zpsb9dac53b

We ate a 3 lb. when we harvested them.

This is the rest of them:

Weather Related 20141114_110353_resized_zps50413f14

I'm revising my estimate to about 35-40 lbs. After doing a quick guestimate.

They LOVE our hot sunny summers.  Next year I'm going to harvest as we go along as i don't really need 5 lb sized potatoes!  I immediately replanted 5 or 6 of the smallest tubers to let them get a head start on next year.  That worked really well on my regular potatoes last winter, so we'll see if it works on these.  They were too small to eat anyway so nothing ventured, nothing gained.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/14/2014, 3:54 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I don't remember if I took any pictures of them growing, but here's the harvest:
This guy is 13" long, 6" diameter at it's broadest and a hair under 5 lbs.  He's sitting across my largest soup pan and the tile are 6" squares for perspective.
Weather Related 20141114_105709_resized_zpsb9dac53b

We ate a 3 lb. when we harvested them.

This is the rest of them:

Weather Related 20141114_110353_resized_zps50413f14

I'm revising my estimate to about 35-40 lbs.  After doing a quick guestimate.

They LOVE our hot sunny summers.  Next year I'm going to harvest as we go along as i don't really need 5 lb sized potatoes!  I immediately replanted 5 or 6 of the smallest tubers to let them get a head start on next year.  That worked really well on my regular potatoes last winter, so we'll see if it works on these.  They were too small to eat anyway so nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Shocked  Holy mackeral!!! *lol*  That spud is amazing! 

I tried planting white taters in fall in woodchips but they just rotted.  Nothing ever came up.  How cold do your winters get?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/14/2014, 7:41 pm

The lowest we get in the low to mid-20s, so our ground never freezes. I would imagine in a colder climate you couldn't do what we can.

I have started just planting the next round when I harvest the first. I've had absolutely no problems with disease in any of the areas I've done this (so far). I have huge potato plants growing right now. I have no idea what's going to happen when the freezes come. Perhaps the plants will just die back and they'll pick up again next spring.

The potatoes I planted last fall grew underground during the winter and came up early in the spring. They were ahead of the ones I planted at the normal time and actually missed any pests. The later planted potatoes were hit hard by grasshoppers.

I figure that's what would happen in nature and what happens with every other bulb or rhizome plant in my garden, so I'm just experimenting.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/15/2014, 2:22 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:  
The potatoes I planted last fall grew underground during the winter and came up early in the spring.  They were ahead of the ones I planted at the normal time and actually missed any pests.  The later planted potatoes were hit hard by grasshoppers.
Weather Related Grassh10

They like my beans!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 11/15/2014, 2:28 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I can sooooo identify, Sanderson.  I harvested about 50 lbs. of sweet potatoes yesterday with the plan to let them sit in the wheelbarrow to dry for a week or so until we were SUPPOSED to get rain.  They are now wet and sitting on a rug on the floor in the garage to dry out so they can start to cure.  

What's amazing with the sweet potatoes is they grew from a single potato that was spoiling in my pantry late last spring so I threw it into a little spot in my garden that's only 5 squares.  That's 10 lbs a square!!!!  The greens spread about a 8-10 foot diameter circle around the planter and were so pretty that I'm going to use SPs as landscaping and just harvest all summer long.  The largest one was 5 lbs.  It's the biggest thing I've ever seen Shocked

Don't forget that the tips of sweet potato plants are used in Asian cooking.  Works great is a stir fry.  So ornamental and greens for summer and fall potatoes.  Hmmm, wonder if a marigold would interfere too much with the roots so you could have some color in the greenery.  Or just set some flower pots among the vines.

Here is a 2013 picture of sweet potato vines covering the pallets which held bucketx of peppers and basil.  The potatoes were planted in 2 cement mixing tubs.

Weather Related Dscn1610

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/15/2014, 1:19 pm

We have two cottonwood trees at our property gate.  I think we're going to plant them under those trees.  It will add a bit of green and they should work as a green mulch to keep the moisture from evaporating so quickly.  I'm going to work on building the soil around one of the trees and doing a deep layer of wood chips.  Then I'll plant SPs there next spring.  

Sanderson, grasshoppers were HORRIBLE for us this year.  I imagine it's drought related. I'm thinking of buying some praying mantis as they're mortal enemies. I bought ladybugs this summer and they have very happily settled in and I'm on my 2nd or 3rd generation of babies in my greenhouse.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down