Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - Any Garlic problems out there? - Page 2 Toplef10Garlic - Any Garlic problems out there? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - Any Garlic problems out there? - Page 2 I22gcj10Garlic - Any Garlic problems out there? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - Any Garlic problems out there? - Page 2 Toplef10Garlic - Any Garlic problems out there? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - Any Garlic problems out there? - Page 2 I22gcj10Garlic - Any Garlic problems out there? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Any Garlic problems out there?

+14
lyndeeloo
AtlantaMarie
cpl100
sanderson
Windmere
bnoles
johnp
plantoid
walshevak
camprn
CapeCoddess
donnainzone5
greatgranny
llama momma
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Garlic - Any Garlic problems out there? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any Garlic problems out there?

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/29/2014, 8:44 am

LM, those look great!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Garlic - Any Garlic problems out there? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any Garlic problems out there?

Post  lyndeeloo 6/29/2014, 12:07 pm

Beeeuuutiful LM. A question for you all. I got some garlic bulbs from a friend of a friend who grows it to cook with. I used most of it up, but in early May I noticed 2 bulbs sprouted before I could use it. Well anything that sprouts I can't help but plant. Never grown garlic so thought what the heck. Don't know what kind of garlic it is. Well they are growing nicely to my surprise. Will I get anything from them this year or do I leave them through the winter? Here's what they look like now. I know they should really be started in the fall, but I couldn't bring myself to throw the sprouts away.
Garlic - Any Garlic problems out there? - Page 2 14040511
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 6/29/2014, 1:18 pm

lyndeeloo wrote:Beeeuuutiful LM. A question for you all. I got some garlic bulbs from a friend of a friend who grows it to cook with. I used most of it up, but in early May I noticed 2 bulbs sprouted before I could use it. Well anything that sprouts I can't help but plant. Never grown garlic so thought what the heck. Don't know what kind of garlic it is. Well they are growing nicely to my surprise. Will I get anything from them this year or do I leave them through the winter? Here's what they look like now. I know they should really be started in the fall, but I couldn't bring myself to throw the sprouts away.
Garlic - Any Garlic problems out there? - Page 2 14040511
It is my understanding that the cycle in MA is to plant on Halloween and harvest in July.   With that cycle, I can't see how yours would be ready by the fall but I guess you could just pull one before the frost and see how it is doing.  If it's nowhere near ready and you then leave the rest in all winter, what have you lost?  It's not like we can plant much of anything else here during the winter!  I would be curious what happens in either case.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 6/29/2014, 3:25 pm

Thanks cpl! I figure nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's been fun to watch them grow and for sure I'll be putting some in this Halloween!
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 6/29/2014, 5:50 pm

llama momma wrote:Thanks everyone, I appreciate the nice comments.  To thoroughly dry out these big guys I put a fan on them 24/7.  Think I'll leave it on for at least the first few days then keep it on in the daytime and off at night.  Did something similar last year and was very pleased with shelf life of the bulbs. 

I look forward to pulling the others out of the ground but those look smaller and maybe need more time to bulb up.  Since losing half the harvest I'd rather give those plants every chance possible  Wink   
And if anyone has advice at this point, I'm listening!

LM, I lost all my garlic last year.  Well, I suppose there were a *few* bulbs that could have made it after I pulled out at least 2/3 of a 4x8 area that were rotten like yours, but I left the survivors in to harvest the bulbils hoping that they may be disease-free.  I kept the bulbils, ate the garlic that looked edible and chucked out the rest in the normal garbage for fear of contaminating my compost pile even though the remaining garlic looked healthy.

I started last year with fresh garlic in a new area and so far, so good.

BUT, I did want to share with you what I learned: plant mustard in any soil that you think might be contaminated by garlic-cooties and then wait a bunch of years before you plant garlic there again.

You could even throw some mustard in the affected area now as a cover-crop unless you had something else that you were planning on growing there that's in the mustard family.

HTH!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/29/2014, 6:11 pm

Very interesting.  I wonder where you learned of mustard kicking garlic cootie butts?   I was going to make sure no garlic went in that box for a couple years.   Thanks Molly!  So I'm curious and just found this article by Barbara Pleasant on using mustard as a soil biofumigant -- way cool btw--
I didn't know this!  ----

http://www.growveg.com/growblogpost.aspx?id=312

Last edited by llama momma on 6/29/2014, 6:21 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : add article)
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/30/2014, 1:49 am

Wow, that is super-interesting to know. We've got lots of diseases around here. I've gotta try that!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 6/30/2014, 8:54 am

llama momma wrote:Very interesting.  I wonder where you learned of mustard kicking garlic cootie butts?   I was going to make sure no garlic went in that box for a couple years.   Thanks Molly!  So I'm curious and just found this article by Barbara Pleasant on using mustard as a soil biofumigant -- way cool btw--
I didn't know this!  ----

http://www.growveg.com/growblogpost.aspx?id=312
I wonder how long it would take for it to decompose in our SFG boxes.  Any thoughts?
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/30/2014, 10:25 am

I found this website a little bit ago.  Loads of info.  I haven't read it all but I hope you find your answer there.  www.mightymustard.com   There are a couple of different varieties for different uses. Territorial seeds sells it for them too apparently.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/30/2014, 11:52 am

I love eating mustard greens and always have them somewhere in my spring garden.  

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/30/2014, 7:50 pm

llama momma wrote:I found this website a little bit ago.  Loads of info.  I haven't read it all but I hope you find your answer there.  www.mightymustard.com   There are a couple of different varieties for different uses. Territorial seeds sells it for them too apparently.

Link doesn't work for me.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/30/2014, 8:31 pm

Maybe try it through google?  That's how I got to it.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/30/2014, 8:35 pm

I got there just by typing the site name. Your link has a bunch of extraneous characters attached to it. Interesting site. Not all their stuff is up to date though. Territorial Seeds, for instance, doesn't have their mustards, though they say TS does. I'll check another source.

Sounds like a very interesting product, and better yet, an interesting idea.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/1/2014, 10:19 am

territorial seed link for mighty mustard  http://www.territorialseed.com/product/Mighty_Mustard_Kodiak_Cover_Crop_Seed/new_for_spring_2014

Johnnys seeds link  
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7298-mighty-mustard-pacific-gold.aspx

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/1/2014, 6:17 pm

walshevak wrote:territorial seed link for mighty mustard  http://www.territorialseed.com/product/Mighty_Mustard_Kodiak_Cover_Crop_Seed/new_for_spring_2014

Johnnys seeds link  
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7298-mighty-mustard-pacific-gold.aspx

Kay

Well that's weird, I looked on Territorial's mustards page yesterday and it wasn't there. Thanks!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 7/2/2014, 11:28 am

Marc, it's not on their mustard page. It is listed in "Cover Crops".
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/2/2014, 1:21 pm

Yeah I see that now, thank you. Odd.

I wonder if it would have any effect on late blight spores.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 7/2/2014, 2:38 pm

I have a question for you garlic aficionados!  I planted garlic in early spring and discovered that it wasn't getting well watered (edge of a garden not quite being reached by the sprinklers though I didn't notice until too late).  Hence I got very small bulbs.  

Can I just leave them where they are and will they grow again in the fall?

Thanks in advance for any ideas on what I should do,
audrey
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/3/2014, 12:33 am

Audrey, I'm picturing several little cloves all sprouting, producing clumps of garlic plants in a small area. Someone on the Forum wrote to plant the largest garlic cloves and the smallest onions.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 7/3/2014, 1:02 am

Thanks for that cute ditty - I can remember than one :-) I think I'm just going to dig all of them up and move them to a better area anyway so I think I'll do an experiment and see what happens. Oh and thank for the recommendation on the ant issue. I have to get out there and look closely, I'll bet there are worms as I haven't been looking for them.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2