Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea? Toplef10Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea? I22gcj10Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea? Toplef10Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea? I22gcj10Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea?

+3
sanderson
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Windmere
7 posters

Go down

Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea? Empty Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea?

Post  Windmere 4/1/2014, 12:18 pm

Last fall I planted some sweet peas in the corners of my 4 x 4 beds.  My idea was that I could have them vine around my garden on my PVC hoops and some other trellises.  I thought it would be nice to have a splash of color and some pleasant scents.

The sweet peas over wintered very well.  They've actually gotten quite large.  One in particular is monstrous.  I am actually shocked that they withstood our bitter weather (planting them right before winter was an experiment).

Has anyone raised sweet peas in the SFG?  I could not find info about how much space should be reserved for them in a SFG. 

Any advice would be much appreciated!!  Smile
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea? Empty Re: Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/1/2014, 1:24 pm

I love sweet peas, but haven't had much luck trying to get them to grow around here.  Good luck!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea? Empty Re: Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea?

Post  sanderson 4/1/2014, 1:33 pm

My guess would be 8-9 like eating peas. They are so, so beautiful.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 4/1/2014, 1:38 pm

I did 24 feet of them a few years ago up a trellis and they were BEAUTIFUL!! You could smell them when you went out the back door. We literally picked hundreds of flowers, and so did our friends. If I remember correctly, we planted them 4" apart the whole length of the bed and it was PACKED full. I don't know that I'd put much more than that, I'd be afraid of overcrowding. Good luck! I have one plant growing now, and it's easily covering about 2 squares!!  

Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea? Sweetp10
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea? Empty Gorgeous

Post  Windmere 4/1/2014, 6:30 pm

southern gardener wrote:I did 24 feet of them a few years ago up a trellis and they were BEAUTIFUL!! You could smell them when you went out the back door. We literally picked hundreds of flowers, and so did our friends. If I remember correctly, we planted them 4" apart the whole length of the bed and it was PACKED full. I don't know that I'd put much more than that, I'd be afraid of overcrowding. Good luck! I have one plant growing now, and it's easily covering about 2 squares!!  

Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea? Sweetp10

Wow, the shot you posted are beautiful southern gardener.  I only have one or two planted in the same square.  I truly did not expect the seeds to germinate and get through our winter days that times were in the teens.

Sanderson, your estimate sounds about right, but I might let the monstrous one alone.  Somewhere, I have a diagram of my beds and I wrote down exactly which variety I planted and where (I planted four).  One for sure that I know I planted I got from Renee's Garden.  It's a bush variety.

http://www.amazon.com/Container-Electric-Blue-Sweet-Seeds/dp/B002PDDGAQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1396391225&sr=8-11&keywords=renees+garden+sweet+pea

My daughter was especially excited about that one because of the "electric blue" color.

Hopefully my experiment with these will work!  Wink
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 4/1/2014, 7:40 pm

Really pretty.

I especially like the idea of flowers at the front of the bed, or the side nearest the house. Maybe even better if some are trailing, like some nasturtiums. That way the first thing you see when looking out at or walking up to the beds is a splash of greenery and beautiful color. Veggies and herbs often look nice, but it's hard to beat the cheery first impression an eyeful of flowers makes.

Yours are such a cool color that they look like a success to me!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/1/2014, 9:32 pm

Just don't let anyone eat any peas that may develop. They are toxic.

http://www.theflowerexpert.com/content/giftflowers/flowersandfragrances/sweet-pea

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea? Empty Thanks

Post  Windmere 4/1/2014, 11:02 pm

walshevak wrote:Just don't let anyone eat any peas that may develop. They are toxic.

http://www.theflowerexpert.com/content/giftflowers/flowersandfragrances/sweet-pea

Kay
Thanks Kay for the link.  I did not know the peas are toxic. 

Well, the plants are really taking off having been planted in Mel's Mix.  (No surprise right?)  I am hoping, though, that with such rich soil, I do not end up with an excess of greenery as opposed to an abundance of flowers.  Oh well, regardless, I think this will be fun to try!
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  slimbolen99 4/2/2014, 4:33 am

Where did you get your sweet pea seeds / plants?  I cannot find any locally.  Yours look great.
slimbolen99
slimbolen99

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 4/2/2014, 10:27 am

slimbolen99 wrote:Where did you get your sweet pea seeds / plants?  I cannot find any locally.  Yours look great.

slim, not sure you're speaking to me, but if so, I got mine at Lowe's. I've seen them at Home Depot as well. I normally plant mine in September for Spring, but I'm in So Calif. Good luck!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Sweet Pea (flowers) and my 4 x 4 bed - Good idea or bad idea? Empty Amazon is a good resource too

Post  Windmere 4/2/2014, 12:26 pm

slimbolen99 wrote:Where did you get your sweet pea seeds / plants?  I cannot find any locally.  Yours look great.
Slimbolen99, if you cannot find them in your area, Amazon can be a good resource.  I bought our seeds from Lowes and Amazon.  

I read that they do not transplant well, so it is probably best to direct sow them.  Also, they do poorly in hot weather.  I planted ours in September like southern gardener.  Like I mentioned earlier, they did not get phased by winter weather in the teens (I covered them when temps were that low... but left them uncovered if temps were in the 20's or higher).

I wish you much success if you decide to grow some!
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down