Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberry question Toplef10strawberry question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberry question I22gcj10strawberry question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberry question Toplef10strawberry question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberry question I22gcj10strawberry question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

strawberry question

2 posters

Go down

strawberry question Empty strawberry question

Post  michelle_wv 4/27/2010, 5:55 pm

I bought this 'kit' from Lowe's with a fairly big strawberry pot with 4 side holes + the open top. It says to put a strawberry plant in each hole & the rest in the top. I opened the bag w/ the strawberry plants in it & it's a confusing mess from what I've ever seen. It seems like there's 10 of them & I can't tell what's roots & what the rest of it is. There's a knot in the middle of the viney stuff. Do I just ball each one up & stuff it in a hole? do i cover it up with mel's mix or leave part of it sticking out? And lastly, would I really put 6 of these in the top opening? Seems like a lot for a 3" opening.

thanks ! (this gardening evidentally isn't my forte').. yet
michelle
michelle_wv

Back to top Go down

strawberry question Empty Re: strawberry question

Post  pattipan 4/27/2010, 6:25 pm

michelle_wv wrote:I bought this 'kit' from Lowe's with a fairly big strawberry pot with 4 side holes + the open top. It says to put a strawberry plant in each hole & the rest in the top. I opened the bag w/ the strawberry plants in it & it's a confusing mess from what I've ever seen. It seems like there's 10 of them & I can't tell what's roots & what the rest of it is. There's a knot in the middle of the viney stuff. Do I just ball each one up & stuff it in a hole? do i cover it up with mel's mix or leave part of it sticking out? And lastly, would I really put 6 of these in the top opening? Seems like a lot for a 3" opening.

thanks ! (this gardening evidentally isn't my forte').. yet
michelle

Here's a great video from White Flower Farm about planting in a strawberry jar/pot. The lady uses bare root plants, so it may help you figure out which end is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wDVdjiU14E&feature=related

I ordered my strawberries from Burpee and when I opened the package it did look like a mess of roots, but I could definitely distinguish the crowns. The paper that came with the berries recommended trimming the roots to about 3 inches long, so I did. I planted mine in wooden boxes and planters and now they all have their leaves! I'll be covering them tonight, though cause my area is under a freeze watch.

Pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 4/27/2010, 6:47 pm

Hey, Michelle, I just noticed you are from WV too! What part of the state are you in? I'm over in the Eastern panhandle in Pendleton County. We're under a freeze warning tonight and tomorrow. I'm going out shortly to cover my strawberries.

Unless you're up near Wheeling, we are probably in the same growing region. So be sure to check out the Regional Forum for Upper South.

Let me know how it goes with the strawberries, okay?

Pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Back to top Go down

strawberry question Empty re: strawberry question response

Post  michelle_wv 4/27/2010, 7:34 pm

Hi Pattipan!!!! I'm so glad I found someone else in WV !!!! YAY! We just moved here last summer plus I'm brand new to gardening, so I have no idea about the last frost date, & what temps. to expect over the spring (esp. overnight temps.) I know last summer started out hot then cooled off & was reasonable most of the summer; but I heard that's not necessarily common. We live near Clarksburg/Bridgeport. I'm using 2 4x4' SFG boxes that my husband built for our deck plus I'm doing some misc. things like 2 diff. strawberries one in a hanging pot & one in the other I mentioned, plus a few flowers, & some viney stuff we're growing in our backyard right next to the edge of the patio that we'll grow vertically up to the deck. I'm so excited !! I have a bunch of stuff sprouting inside, but haven't planted outside yet. Tomorrow I'm planting spinach, carrots, radishes, & sugar snap peas outside. Any growing tips for this area will be appreciated Patti!

Michelle PS: thanks for the info. & the link strawberry question Icon_lol
michelle_wv

Back to top Go down

strawberry question Empty strawberry question

Post  michelle_wv 4/28/2010, 4:32 pm

I didn't get the strawberry plants with the nice green leaves.. I got the things that are all brown & covered with dirt so it's a little more difficult for me to determine what gets covered up with the soil in the planter.

I watched the video on you tube which was great. My only remaining question is what exactly is the crown. there's a knot between the roots & crown.. but I'm guessing the knot is NOT part of the crown & should be covered with the soil along with the roots. Is that correct?

thanks
michelle_wv

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 4/28/2010, 10:36 pm

michelle_wv wrote:I didn't get the strawberry plants with the nice green leaves.. I got the things that are all brown & covered with dirt so it's a little more difficult for me to determine what gets covered up with the soil in the planter.

I watched the video on you tube which was great. My only remaining question is what exactly is the crown. there's a knot between the roots & crown.. but I'm guessing the knot is NOT part of the crown & should be covered with the soil along with the roots. Is that correct?

thanks

I'm no expert with strawberries, I just followed the instructions that came with my berries from Burpee . I also did some searching on the Net for more help. My bare root plants did not have leaves either. Here's a pic of some bare-root plants that look similar to mine when I pulled them out of the package. I'm not exactly sure what this knot you are referring to is. Just plant them so that the part labeled crown is above the soil. As long as you get the roots below and that little crown above, they should be fine.

strawberry question Barero10

I must have done something right, because all my strawberry plants are growing and have lots of leaves now! Here's a link to another thread that shows them just after I planted them. All you can see is the crowns sticking above the Mel's Mix.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/upper-south-f8/upper-south-strawberries-t1353.htm#9161

Pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down