Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question Toplef10An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question I22gcj10An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question Toplef10An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question I22gcj10An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question

+5
camprn
plantoid
Goosegirl
H_TX_2
rabbithutch
9 posters

Go down

An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question Empty An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question

Post  rabbithutch 2/12/2014, 5:03 pm

I checked the area that I plan to put my kitchen door TT herb garden today.  I drew up what I plan to build, but I have some 24" hardware cloth that I want to use up; so I left the inside dimension 21-1/2" (instead of 24") by 84" (7 feet).  I also plan to make my ground level beds using 8' 2x8 which means I'll squeeze the square foot paradigm a bit there, too.

Will the loss of an inch and a quarter in each square make any difference at all to the way the SFG grows?
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question Empty Re: An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question

Post  H_TX_2 2/12/2014, 5:27 pm

I don't think it will have much a an effect on the plants. You don't have to make all of your squares smaller. I'm guessing your bed will only be two rows deep. You could make your back rows one foot deep since they will most likely be holding your tomatoes. Then make the front row a little less than 12 inches deep. Plant your smaller things in the front row. Even if you simply divide everything evenly and all your squares are a bit smaller you shouldn't have a problem.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question Empty Re: An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question

Post  Goosegirl 2/12/2014, 6:00 pm

All of my squares a just a bit smaller - the plants don't grow with rulers, so none of mine for the last 3 years have figured out that I am cramping them just a bit!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/12/2014, 8:23 pm

rabbithutch wrote:I checked the area that I plan to put my kitchen door TT herb garden today.  I drew up what I plan to build, but I have some 24" hardware cloth that I want to use up; so I left the inside dimension 21-1/2" (instead of 24") by 84" (7 feet).  I also plan to make my ground level beds using 8' 2x8 which means I'll squeeze the square foot paradigm a bit there, too.

Will the loss of an inch and a quarter in each square make any difference at all to the way the SFG grows?

No such thing as a stupid question RH , it's an intelligent one to my mind .

Like has been said for the majority of crops it wont matter .. ....... you'll eventually discover the ones where it does.  Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question Empty Planting Plan for My TT Herb Garden

Post  rabbithutch 2/12/2014, 8:41 pm

Thanks for the responses.  I kinda figured that the loss of such a small volume would no make much, if any, difference.

I checked FAQ but didn't find instructions for posting pics.  Do I have to put graphics on Photobucket and include the URL markup?  Can someone please point me to the how-to for pics?

Nevermind!  I found the video!!!!!

Oops!  Hit the 7 day rule.  I'll come back to this post when the proper time has expired and post the pic. 

Here is a drawing I did in SketchUp and exported to the .jpg format.  It shows the way my kitchen door TT herb garden will be built and the herbs I plan to plant in it.  You can see that showed the general direction that morning sun will come from.  By mid afternoon, the darker shaded squares will be shaded by the house and the others will be shaded by evening.  I think this will be enough sun for herbs, tho. 

I would really appreciate any critique and all suggestions for anything that needs improvement.

My planned ground level beds will be in the back yard.  If I can do it, I will have four ~4'x4' beds arranged in a square.  That is where I will plant the majority of my garden.  Onions, lettuce, carrots, corn, etc. - all yet to be determined.  When I'm closer to planting on these beds, I'll post another planting plan.

TIA

Last edited by rabbithutch on 2/12/2014, 9:07 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Add pic and correct earlier text.)
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Back to top Go down

An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question Empty Now That I Can Post Pics

Post  rabbithutch 2/14/2014, 5:55 pm

Here is a drawing I did in Sketchup for the TT Kitchen Door Herb Garden.  I bought the lumber and have laid out all the cuts.  Tomorrow I hope to get it cut to size and assembled.

An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question Tt_her10

And here is what I plan to put in it:
An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question Tt_pla17

You can see that I showed the general direction that morning sun will come from.  By mid afternoon, the darker shaded squares will be shaded by the house and the others will be shaded by evening.  I think this will be enough sun for herbs, tho. 

I would really appreciate any critique and all suggestions for anything that needs improvement.

Last edited by rabbithutch on 2/14/2014, 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add info)
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/14/2014, 6:11 pm

NICE! I like it!
If I may make a suggestion... perhaps separating the perennial herbs from the annual herbs. Also, think of the height of the mature plants. My basil can get to 18 inches tall or taller sometimes. Tarragon most likely will need a stake or a hoop. oregano is relatively low and thyme is a ground creeper.

Perennial : sage, oregano, thyme, tarragon, chives
annual: basil, cilantro/coriander

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 2/14/2014, 6:13 pm

Only about the herbs: culinary tarragon is propagated from living plants (I think the roots), rather than seed. The seed sold in packets is Russian tarragon, which isn't supposedly anywhere near as good, to the point, from my limited reading, where it might as well be a different plant.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/14/2014, 6:21 pm

Looks like good mechanical strength in the design.   An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question 3170584802 

Will you be using ½ inch hardware cloth?  It's surprising how much the weight of saturated MM will cause the cloth to sag.  For peace of mind, I would put in 6 support braces rather than the 4 shown.  It might be overkill, but I would use  Simpson ties to secure the braces.

I don't know much about growing herbs so I'll pass on that part!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/14/2014, 6:24 pm

boffer wrote:Looks like good mechanical strength in the design.   An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question 3170584802 

Will you be using ½ inch hardware cloth?  It's surprising how much the weight of saturated MM will cause the cloth to sag.  For peace of mind, I would put in 6 support braces rather than the 4 shown.  It might be overkill, but I would use  Simpson ties to secure the braces.

I don't know much about growing herbs so I'll pass on that part!
I don't know much about carpentry and fabrication. What is a Simpson tie?

An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question Tumblr_mhjowoc4DJ1s32n64o1_1280

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/14/2014, 6:28 pm

rofl 

Metal galvanized straps formed in various configurations.  They can be time savers, space savers, additional protection from hurricanes and earthquakes, and allow amateurs to create solid and safe structures with less knowledge and skill.

Pictures:
https://www.google.com/search?q=simpson+tie&client=firefox-a&hs=ugT&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=aaT-UqPNAsj4oASU84DwAw&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAw&biw=1067&bih=723

Edit: HAH! I just saw this pic way down the page that I linked
An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question 43159494
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/14/2014, 6:31 pm

oh COOL! Thanks Boff!

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/14/2014, 6:35 pm

Some handy ties in there Boffer thanks for posting the link ....
Oh to have a builders merchant near here that has such a range , so I could go and feast my senses upon such engineering ...
Yep I getting cabin crazy .. it's rather damp & draughty around here!
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question Empty Trying Again to Answer

Post  rabbithutch 2/14/2014, 9:33 pm

First, thank all of you, very much, for the responses and the suggestions.  They are most helpful.  I had not thought of annuals vs. perennials nor mature plant height.  That will have me rethinking my planting plan.  I'm certain to shift the thyme to a tall container and might do the same with the sage.  I plan to buy already started plants because I didn't plan far enough ahead to do them from seed.  I shall heed the warning about tarragon.  I also realized that I left out parsley.  I like the flat leaf Italian kind.

As for the TT build, all of the corners and the bottom brace will be held together with 9" by 3/8" diameter landscaping spikes.  The legs will be bolted through with 3/8" diameter carriage bolts using collar washers on each side and the teflon centered nuts that do not back out.  The goal of the design was to make it sturdy but also collapsible in case I need to relocate it.  I don't think Simpson ties will be necessary.

I plan to use 1/2" hardware cloth that will be attached to the sides using collar washers and screws about every 6" around the perimeter.  Most of the TT will be supported by an existing rather sturdy bench which explains the spacing of the cross supports on the bottom.  Only about 2 feet of one end will not be supported by the bench.  This also explains why there is but 1 leg along the length at the 'front' of the bed as the 'back' will be supported by the existing bench.  If moved to another location, it will be easy enough to add another leg to the 'back.'  Above the hardware cloth and attached the full depth of all sides, I will use a water permeable weed cloth.

I made a little progress today by marking out all of the lumber for cutting which I hope to accomplish tomorrow followed by assembly and installing the hardware cloth and weed cloth.  I shall try to remember to take photos and shall post them (if I remember).  I want to 'paint' the bed with my linseed oil concoction, so the installation of hardware and weed cloth will be delayed until I receive the linseed oil I ordered from Amazon.  To appease MLW (or 'er indoors, for my friends in the UK), I plan to paint the outer portion of the boards to match the trim on the house.  If all goes well, and if I can locate quantities of vermiculite and compost, the TT should be ready to plant before next weekend.

I've made progress in other areas as well.  My copy of ANSFG arrived in the mail and my kitchen counter compost scrap collector bucket came today.  Within days, I should be adding kitchen 'stuff' (not to include meat, grease, dairy, onion, or citrus) to my existing leaf and grass decay pile.  I shall also find some horse manure to heat it up.  On another front, I've discovered a close-by winery from which to purchase plastic barrels in the 55 gallon and 30 gallon sizes, very inexpensively.  I plan to dedicate 2 55's to collecting rainwater (a scarce substance in TX these days).  I thought I'd make a 30 gallon barrel into a rotating compost bin and use 3 or 4 others to store extra vermiculite, MM, etc.

PS:  If anyone can tell be how to retrieve a draft post, I'd be much obliged.

An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question 3170584802
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/14/2014, 9:57 pm

About collecting water in Texas. Make sure you do not need permission to do that. In some places you cannot collect rain runoff and store it.
Water is becoming a scarce commodity. Except right now in Western Amercia and the United Kingdom.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/14/2014, 11:40 pm

rabbithutch wrote:...PS:  If anyone can tell be how to retrieve a draft post, I'd be much obliged.
 An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question 3170584802

If you click on the word 'Profile' in the green nav bar at the top of every page, it will open a page with some tabs on it; click on Drafts.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/15/2014, 2:19 am

RH, Your TT looks good. Yes, do take photos and show us. I planted seeds indoors for herbs on Jan 24-28 and the following have sprouted.: Balm lemon, basil, borage, cilantro, lavender, parsley, rosemary, tarragon and thyme. Go ahead and try seedings. Maybe buy a couple of 2" pots just for a little greenery while you are watching the babies grow.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch 2/15/2014, 12:11 pm

boffer wrote:If you click on the word 'Profile' in the green nav bar at the top of every page, it will open a page with some tabs on it; click on Drafts.  

Thank you, boffer!! An Uninformed (i.e. 'Stupid') Question 3170584802
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down