Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds Toplef10Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds I22gcj10Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds Toplef10Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds I22gcj10Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by markqz Today at 11:01 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds

+8
llama momma
H_TX_2
southern gardener
FamilyGardening
boffer
Goosegirl
ETNRedClay
tumtumsback
12 posters

Go down

Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds Empty Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds

Post  tumtumsback 2/6/2014, 7:38 pm

Hey all,

I've re-purposed some pallets into raised beds, and they ended up being 15" tall. I've got just enough soil to create 6" soil layers, which leaves me to figure out how to fill up the bottom 9" -- I'm looking to see if anyone can think of an ingenious/cost-effective way to accomplish this goal.

I am thinking of using Pea Gravel (I would need 1.5 Cubic Tons, which comes to around $60 dollars if I buy in bulk from my local garden center), but wondering if anyone else has any other ideas that would be more cost effective?

thanks
tumtumsback
tumtumsback

Male Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds Empty Re: Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds

Post  ETNRedClay 2/6/2014, 8:08 pm

First, can you borrow a saw and slice the beds in half so they are only 7.5" tall?

Second, can you just put as much mix in and leave the sides higher?

Third, if you are going to put something in the bottom to raise the level of soil, why not something the plants will use, like straight compost?

Any pictures?
ETNRedClay
ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/6/2014, 8:29 pm

ETNRedClay wrote:
Third, if you are going to put something in the bottom to raise the level of soil, why not something the plants will use, like straight compost?

This was my first thought! If you can get to any farms near the city you may be able to score a load of manure that you can use to fill up the bottom, then put your mix on top.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/6/2014, 8:50 pm

Things you might be able to scrounge for free:

wood chips
broken concrete
sand
2 liter pop bottles
plastic milk crates
5 gallon buckets
CMU
firewood
fill dirt

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 2/7/2014, 2:09 am

+ 1 on the woodchips!

go to a recycling center and get old news papers, cardboard, phone books, plastic bottles

grass clippings, leaves, pine cones, sticks, rocks, sand

you could put a free add on craigs list looking for composting material  Very Happy 

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  tumtumsback 2/7/2014, 9:00 am

Thanks for the ideas guys! I'm thinking I'm going to pick up 1.75 cu yd of either "Triple Shredded Bark Mulch" or "Woodchips" from the local mulching center. This should be cheaper than Pea Gravel, will provide good drainage, and if any of my roots happen to go below the 6 inch layer of Mel's Mix, they should be able to benefit from the mulch/woodchips more-so than some rocks Smile
tumtumsback
tumtumsback

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 2/7/2014, 11:21 am

Just my two cents. I'd put in compost under the MM. That way when your roots go through your MM, they will have some really good nutrition to get their roots into. Straight wood chips won't have a lot of goodies for the plants. Again, this is just my 2 cents! good luck!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  tumtumsback 2/7/2014, 12:22 pm

Southern Gardener: Thanks for the two cents!

I have 6 beds, each 38" x 38" x 15"

That means, 38" x 38" x 6" of Mel's Mix = ~1.2 Cubic Yards

That means, 38" x 38" x 9" of ????? = ~1.75 Cubic Yards

I think I can get 1.75 Cubic Yards of Compost for $61.25, so this idea is actually REALLY smart  tongue 

THANK YOU!

you rock

EDIT: My only question is, would this not be so great for drainage?!

Last edited by tumtumsback on 2/7/2014, 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Afterthought...)
tumtumsback
tumtumsback

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 2/7/2014, 12:39 pm

I would go with something that is beneficial for the plants. Compost is a good idea or even straight manure might be possible if you can find a good source of it.

If I had the extra space I would try hugelkultur. You could try using some old wood under your beds and sort of mimic a small hugelkultur. Sine you have multiple beds you can try different things in different beds. If I could find enough free manure for only one bed I would take it and then only worry about finding something for the other beds. I would also seek out free or very low cost options options first.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/7/2014, 1:53 pm

In my experience it takes a lot of manure and too much muscle work.  You need to keep pounding it down into a hard layer or else the contents settle way too much and very fast, even before the growing season ends.  But the plants did very well last year using llama manure as a bottom base. Can't say how other manures would settle or perform overall.

Mel's mix is your Gold Standard.  It's wonderful stuff and very successfully stands alone as your growing medium which I've used for years.  The manure experiment was implemented only  because I have free access to so much of it.
 Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds 3555472862
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/7/2014, 4:11 pm

I wouldn't worry about drainage with a compost base. The only drainage that is really important is the 6" of MM. In my limited experience, organic matter sinks a little. I fill a box to 6", water a few times and it has settled some. The only good thing is that I can add more compost and still have room for 1-2" of mulch.

Are you going to put anything between the compost and MM to define it? Like newspapers or weed barrier? Or are you only going to clean roots out of the first 6" every time?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/7/2014, 5:20 pm

tumtumsback wrote:...I have 6 beds, each 38" x 38" x 15"...

Are these in addition to your wicking boxes?
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 2/7/2014, 7:08 pm

tumtumsback wrote:Southern Gardener: Thanks for the two cents!

I have 6 beds, each 38" x 38" x 15"

That means, 38" x 38" x 6" of Mel's Mix = ~1.2 Cubic Yards

That means, 38" x 38" x 9" of ????? = ~1.75 Cubic Yards

I think I can get 1.75 Cubic Yards of Compost for $61.25, so this idea is actually REALLY smart  tongue 

THANK YOU!

you rock

EDIT: My only question is, would this not be so great for drainage?!

You're welcome. I don't think it's going to be a bad plan as far as drainage. I would recommend getting GOOD compost though. don't cheap out on it, it's not worth it. $61.25 for that much material is a good price! I'd go for it for sure if it was me, and it was a good compost!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  tumtumsback 2/7/2014, 9:22 pm

Thanks as always for the replies yall!

Sanderson: Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I am reading what you are saying correctly, I'm going to have to sift through my 6" of MM at the end of the season and remove any roots before I start back up next season? ::My newbie-ness is showing::  Embarassed

What do you use to "define" your MM layer? I don't see a problem using some weed barrier and/or newspaper, I definitely have access to both...

Boffer: I think I am scrapping the idea of the Wicking Beds. I am going to water from above straight up! For doing all of this work, I cannot risk the idea of not having adequate moisture. At the most, I will only be absent from the garden (vacation, etc.) for 3 days in a row at the most, at which time I can have a neighbor water the garden for me.

Southern Gardener: The compost I am getting is high quality  Cool  I'll continue to post my results this Spring/Summer/Fall  Wink
tumtumsback
tumtumsback

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 2/8/2014, 12:53 am

You don't need to define a layer. Blending soils (and/or soil-less soils) a bit at the dividing line is the best way to do it, according to the Master Gardener's course I'm taking. People who plant trees often do the same thing as veggie gardeners. Otherwise the roots sometimes stop and start to circle with trees, on encountering the different soil. Same with gardening veggies, if you plant things with deep roots. They can go wonky if they meet a sharp dividing line. With a gradually changing soil interface, though, they'll happily keep on growing right through.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/8/2014, 4:10 am

Tumtumsback,  Going straight to pages 61 & 64 of the ANSFG.  Use weed fabric under the MM.  For tall boxes, use sand as the bottom filler.  Ergo:  What ever filler, top with weed fabric or other barrier like newspaper, clear cardboard.  You are not using the filler material to grow in.  Marc is right about blending a zone between different mediums. However, that is only necessary for traditional gardening.  In purist SFG you are only growing in the 6" or more of MM.  For deep root plants like carrots or parsnips, you can built extenders (top hats) upward and fill with MM.

Now, these are your boxes for your garden.  You can do what ever you want to.  Just trust Mel's SFG method.  Dstack built tall beds for nematode control.  Cinder/concrete block perimeter, filled with clean sand, and topped with concrete (carefully sloped to drain good).  Then put his wood box with 6" of MM on top!!  I have some boxes on cement pavers.

Cleaning out the roots.  I found that some plants pull out rather nicely and don't leave a lot of noticeable roots behind.  I call that finger grooming.  But my tomatoes, OM goodness!!  The networks of roots were so thick that I had to remove the grids and drip lines and really get down and dirty.  Maybe they have LOTS of roots because they are large plants and give us lots of fruits.

Moisture: Top the MM with a good layer of mulch. You will be surprised at how long the MM will stay moist. You can probably take 3-day vacations without destroying the plants.  Very Happy 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/8/2014, 11:58 am

tumtumsback wrote:...Boffer: I think I am scrapping the idea of the Wicking Beds. I am going to water from above straight up! For doing all of this work, I cannot risk the idea of not having adequate moisture. At the most, I will only be absent from the garden (vacation, etc.) for 3 days in a row at the most, at which time I can have a neighbor water the garden for me...

I think that's a better solution, too.   Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds 3170584802 

Have you considered an automatic watering grid?  Something along this line:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t13136-gravity-feed-irrigation-grid#130645
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/8/2014, 12:12 pm

boffer wrote:
tumtumsback wrote:...Boffer: I think I am scrapping the idea of the Wicking Beds. I am going to water from above straight up! For doing all of this work, I cannot risk the idea of not having adequate moisture. At the most, I will only be absent from the garden (vacation, etc.) for 3 days in a row at the most, at which time I can have a neighbor water the garden for me...

I think that's a better solution, too.   Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds 3170584802 

Have you considered an automatic watering grid?  Something along this line:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t13136-gravity-feed-irrigation-grid#130645
A good layer of mulch atop the Mel's mix is very good for reducing moisture loss through evaporation.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  tumtumsback 2/8/2014, 9:40 pm

Sanderson,

Wow -- mind blown with the top hat concept... I'm trying to think of how I would go about designing these top hats; maybe using something like Folgers coffee cans, hollowing out the bottom, and cutting them in half? How have you made top hats?

Also, when you say you have to clean out the roots, I assume that is after you harvest whatever out of one square and before you plant something new in that square?
tumtumsback
tumtumsback

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/8/2014, 9:51 pm

The top hats are removable small boxes - you can make them 1x1, or any size that will fit in your existing box.  Fill up the small box with MM and for that little section you have 12" deep MM instead of just 6".  Here's a link to a pic from the Carrot Week thread showing Gwennifer's 1x2 top hat, or high rise in the middle for carrots.

https://servimg.com/view/16567771/152

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/9/2014, 12:09 am

I'll take photos tomorrow morning of the top hat (looks like Gwennifer's) and 2 corner top hats make of left over 8" cedar fencing planks.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds Empty Foundation Ideas for Raised Beds

Post  Dadoo 2/9/2014, 2:47 am

We used the idea below to extend limited resources and Mel's Mix in the garden last year... For what it's worth.

Last year I came across echonet.org.  On the site there was info for growing in urban and developing communities with little resources.

A suggestion was to take empty pop cans with a few holes punched in each and stuff them into old socks and or nylon stockings. This could then be used for filler in the growing medium with the cans holding on to water during heavy deluges as well as some air for the roots.  Additionally as the plants set roots into the medium, some of the root fiber will attach to the stockings holding the cans and aid in stabilizing the growing plant.

We had twelve inch and twenty four inch depths in our growing beds last year and by using the can in the sock laid down on the first two inches of growing medium followed by an additional 2 inches of MM followed by another layer of cans and socks and MM and so on with the top 4 inches of MM.

We grew: cantaloupe, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, beans, parsley, peppers, squash as well as hearty kiwi vines. We also continue to grow an apple tree in a 12 inch deep 4 foot square tabletop box for our SIGE (Special In Gods Eyes) group at St. Mathew's Church in Barrington, Illinois.

What we do is mostly proof of concept with a large dose of fun as most of our special needs group, (SIGE) experience gardening here for the first time.
Dadoo
Dadoo

Male Posts : 35

http://www.slugahypnosis.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down