Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Welcome from Portland Oregon Toplef10Welcome from Portland Oregon 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Welcome from Portland Oregon I22gcj10Welcome from Portland Oregon 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Welcome from Portland Oregon Toplef10Welcome from Portland Oregon 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Welcome from Portland Oregon I22gcj10Welcome from Portland Oregon 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Welcome from Portland Oregon

+2
Lavender Debs
greenportland
6 posters

Go down

Welcome from Portland Oregon Empty Welcome from Portland Oregon

Post  greenportland 3/7/2010, 3:59 am

Hello Friends,
Glad to know about this forum!
I have two raised boxes that I built two years ago... had some nice leeks and tomatoes last year... working to convert them to square foot... any ideas how to get the old soil out and the new soil in?
greenportland

Back to top Go down

Welcome from Portland Oregon Empty Re: Welcome from Portland Oregon

Post  Lavender Debs 3/7/2010, 8:31 am

Good morning Green! Just how big are these raised gardens? I would think that if they were not too large you could just lift the frame off. Otherwise it is going to be the #2 shovel and the wheelbarrow.

Still eating leeks?

Deborah ....getting dirty in Everett, Washington
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Welcome from Portland Oregon Empty Good Morning, neighbor!

Post  boffer 3/7/2010, 10:20 am

Well almost! It was kinda lonely here in the wet side of the PNW until Deb showed up. Glad to have another person who rusts, rather than tans, aboard! Actually, Rick, in Vancouver, WA was starting to post in the old forum, but I haven't seen him since the transition. I answered your question in your other post. Would love to see pictures if you can.
Be sure to holler if you have more questions.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 3/7/2010, 8:19 pm

Hey there! Welcome aboard. I'm from the tan-when-you-get-out-of-the-long-underwear side of the country! But I still love gardening. Especially SFG, which is now the only way to garden in my mind!

My best thought about emptying those boxes you have would be to start over as Deb suggested. However, if they are deep boxes, you may be able to empty just the top six inches (still a lot of work) then put down cardboard and weedcloth. Add the new soil on top. Had you thought of that?

Keep coming back to the forums. We have a lot of fun here and occasionally we even learn something! Welcome from Portland Oregon Icon_smile
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Welcome from Portland Oregon Empty Removing soil from raised bed

Post  gardening_.oncepts 3/17/2010, 12:24 am

Just a thought..why are you wanting to remove your soil? Compost right in your bed, much less back breaking work! We have been trying to Lasagna Compost(layering your compostable material) in our beds...the plus is that it also warms your bed up more so your seeds respond by popping up their heads quicker Welcome from Portland Oregon Icon_idea ! Its still chilly here on the coast of Oregon...and we were going to try to make a cloche and place our seed trays on our "composted bed" and see how much quicker the seeds pop up, starting some in the unheated greenhouse at the same time..and see who pops up their heads first..will be fun to see what happens. Welcome from Portland Oregon Icon_wink
gardening_.oncepts

Female Posts : 4

http://www.coquillecommuinitygarden.vpweb.com/

Back to top Go down

Welcome from Portland Oregon Empty gardening_.oncepts

Post  WardinWake 3/17/2010, 6:39 pm

gardening_.oncepts wrote:Just a thought..why are you wanting to remove your soil? Compost right in your bed, much less back breaking work! We have been trying to Lasagna Compost(layering your compostable material) in our beds...the plus is that it also warms your bed up more so your seeds respond by popping up their heads quicker Welcome from Portland Oregon Icon_idea ! Its still chilly here on the coast of Oregon...and we were going to try to make a cloche and place our seed trays on our "composted bed" and see how much quicker the seeds pop up, starting some in the unheated greenhouse at the same time..and see who pops up their heads first..will be fun to see what happens. Welcome from Portland Oregon Icon_wink

Howdy: .oncepts: If I read your post correctly you are putting incomplete compost in your garden in hopes of it providing some heat. Humm... For compost to get hot it must be of sufficient mass. Mel recommends a pile of at least 3'x3'x3' to have a hot compost pile. Also as composting material continues to compost it draws nitrogen from the surrounding soil until it is completely composted and then it will release the nitrogen back into the soil (or mix). I tried it last year in 2 of my boxes with poor results. If you have had a different experience with the method you described please let me and the other forum members know. Always looking to learn.

God Bless, Ward.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Welcome from Portland Oregon Empty Lasagna Compost in boxes

Post  gardening_.oncepts 3/17/2010, 10:52 pm

Hi Ward: The box we are trying this in is 1' tall and 4' x 6'...we had some pumpkins come up earlier in the year when the heat in the box got to their 60 degrees they like to germinate..and we have had two frosts since then that also took them out! We are still in process...so it will be fun to see what happens..sunny here for the next four days so there will be gardening done! Always trying something new to mix it up a bit..learning this gardening stuff never quits!
Thanks!
Darlene
Howdy: .oncepts: If I read your post correctly you are putting incomplete compost in your garden in hopes of it providing some heat. Humm... For compost to get hot it must be of sufficient mass. Mel recommends a pile of at least 3'x3'x3' to have a hot compost pile. Also as composting material continues to compost it draws nitrogen from the surrounding soil until it is completely composted and then it will release the nitrogen back into the soil (or mix). I tried it last year in 2 of my boxes with poor results. If you have had a different experience with the method you described please let me and the other forum members know. Always looking to learn.

God Bless, Ward.[/quote]
gardening_.oncepts

Female Posts : 4

http://www.coquillecommuinitygarden.vpweb.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down