Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What part of your household budget does your SFG money come from? Toplef10What part of your household budget does your SFG money come from? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What part of your household budget does your SFG money come from? I22gcj10What part of your household budget does your SFG money come from? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What part of your household budget does your SFG money come from? Toplef10What part of your household budget does your SFG money come from? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What part of your household budget does your SFG money come from? I22gcj10What part of your household budget does your SFG money come from? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What part of your household budget does your SFG money come from?

+9
quiltbea
littlejo
cheyannarach
walshevak
Marc Iverson
audrey.jeanne.roberts
plantoid
sanderson
boffer
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What part of your household budget does your SFG money come from? Empty What part of your household budget does your SFG money come from?

Post  boffer 11/24/2013, 2:04 pm

Some folks try to evaluate the cost effectiveness of vegetable gardening solely by comparing the cost of harvested produce to that of store bought.  Fair enough, but I think the value of gardening is greater than that.

Maybe you have a strict budget for spending, or maybe you itemize expenditures for taxes.  What category(s) do you put your vegetable gardening costs into?

Food
Recreation
Hobby
Exercise
Mental health
Preventative health care
Misc. play money

Some other category?

Maybe you have come up with a fun justification to explain your gardening expenditures to your your spouse?  Share with us, please!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

What part of your household budget does your SFG money come from? Empty Re: What part of your household budget does your SFG money come from?

Post  sanderson 11/24/2013, 2:27 pm

Small inheritance.  Thank you, Mother.  I know, not fair.

Otherwise it would be hobby and preventive mental health!  But I still look for freebies or things that can be re-purposed.  That's part of the fun, plus I think most of use don't like to see everything end up in the land fill.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

What part of your household budget does your SFG money come from? Empty Re: What part of your household budget does your SFG money come from?

Post  plantoid 11/24/2013, 5:08 pm

All of the above Boffer,  plus self education &  enhancing the value of our property by having the fully landscaped gardens with the brick built 36 inch high raised beds.

One of the realtors reckons it's added about £8,000 to the value of the property as well as making it very very saleable .

The dosh to do the ANSFG came from various sources ... inheritances ,  gleanings from the weekly budget , ebay sales and savings.

The self education part has moved on quite a bit to now include the social aspect of being with a decent internet group that sings to a common theme .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/24/2013, 9:52 pm

plantoid wrote: The self education part has moved on quite a bit to now include the social aspect of being with a decent internet group that sings to a common theme .
Ditto  Very Happy
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/25/2013, 12:04 am

I'm fortunate not to have to pinch pennies (been there many a time in the past however). For me, it's as important to my physical well-being as to having healthy food. I am a professional artist and graphic designer. I spend long hours in front of a computer or sitting at a table painting (watercolors). My garden is the only thing that has been able to get me up and walking around 4 or 5 times during the day.

So, with everything they tell us about the danger of sitting, it's my health and life insurance policy -)
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/25/2013, 2:00 am

Every category above except inheritance. I'm also particularly keen on the educational/research value, and that as it pertains both to learning how to get my food costs down as much as possible, and to getting my Master Gardener's certificate in next year's program without it all being "book learning." Practical experience(however limited), as well as all the reading I've been doing, and the help of this forum, should help a lot with that course and its training requirements.

But why, then, bother with the course in the first place? I've always put a high value on the idea of continuous learning throughout life. This is something I can do now which I never had the opportunity to do much of in the city (small balcony at best). I especially like learning new skills when they make me more well-rounded. So for me, gardening is one way to satisfy my desire to always keep advancing in some small way or another. Besides its practical side (at least when you're growing things you can eat!), it's an investment in self.

I haven't reached the stage at which gardening pays for itself monetarily yet, but accept that, like most other hobbies and so many ventures, it can take a while to balance out the start-up costs. Since I've bought so many things already that I won't have to buy again, year by year, I'm inching ahead. Eventually I'll have a knowledge and experience base such that I don't see why I wouldn't be saving a lot of money on food every year. And probably eating the healthiest and often tastiest food I've ever eaten in my life.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 11/25/2013, 3:18 am

sanderson wrote:
plantoid wrote: The self education part has moved on quite a bit to now include the social aspect of being with a decent internet group that sings to a common theme .
Ditto  Very Happy
I'm as addicted to the forum as I am to the garden. And all of Boffer's list applies.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 11/25/2013, 3:48 am

I would say it's a hobby!  But will soon take away from your groceries!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 11/25/2013, 8:55 pm

plantoid wrote: The self education part has moved on quite a bit to now include the social aspect of being with a decent internet group that sings to a common theme .
I started this adventure after I stopped 'going out'to work, for health reasons, but doing that caused the money to be sort of tight.
I started out adding up the amount I would have spent on groceries, the 1st yr was a good yr. and I counted $500 + . I finally stopped counting, but, in the last 3 yrs. I have only bought white potatoes, bananas, apples, and grapes. The rest of the fresh food has been SFG. I think that all of the list (except play money!) applies to my garden.
I still look for bargains or for free items, but during the first summer, my neighbor stole my hoe that I used in my regular garden. I will say, 'good for him!' I have never had to replace it.
Jo Ann
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/26/2013, 1:04 am

sanderson wrote:...I still look for freebies or things that can be re-purposed.  That's part of the fun...
I think so too, and  that allowed me to get into gardening on the cheap.  Also starting small and expanding a little bit each year spread the costs over a long period of time.  At one time or another, I've put my gardening expenses into all the categories I listed.

The only time I hesitate is when I make a large dollar purchase.  Then I remind myself that I could be spending that money by sitting in a boat and drinking beer fishing.  Since I usually get skunked when I fish, spending the money on gardening is a much better deal!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 11/30/2013, 2:11 pm

I love how you can reroot trimmings from plants for more "free" plants too! I learned how 2 years ago and get more plants like tomatoes and herbs!

Boffer, are you drinking beer or fishing more Wink
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 11/30/2013, 2:36 pm

My budget doesn't have all those categories. In fact, all those listed by Boffer come out of my one and only Food Budget. That's from whence comes all extra bits and pieces I need to buy including gifts for others. I have to keep a tight rein on my spending being on a fixed income. What I don't spend of my monthly food money goes into an envlope to add up for other things.
But then, its food, isn't it.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 11/30/2013, 9:43 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:Every category above except inheritance.  I'm also particularly keen on the educational/research value, and that as it pertains both to learning how to get my food costs down as much as possible, and to getting my Master Gardener's certificate in next year's program without it all being "book learning."  Practical experience(however limited), as well as all the reading I've been doing, and the help of this forum, should help a lot with that course and its training requirements.

But why, then, bother with the course in the first place?  I've always put a high value on the idea of continuous learning throughout life.  This is something I can do now which I never had the opportunity to do much of in the city (small balcony at best).  I especially like learning new skills when they make me more well-rounded.  So for me, gardening is one way to satisfy my desire to always keep advancing in some small way or another.  Besides its practical side (at least when you're growing things you can eat!), it's an investment in self.

I haven't reached the stage at which gardening pays for itself monetarily yet, but accept that, like most other hobbies and so many ventures, it can take a while to balance out the start-up costs.  Since I've bought so many things already that I won't have to buy again, year by year, I'm inching ahead.  Eventually I'll have a knowledge and experience base such that I don't see why I wouldn't be saving a lot of money on food every year.  And probably eating the healthiest and often tastiest food I've ever eaten in my life.
Marc
I couldn't have described it better.
Just a quick point though, I used to fish a lot, about 20 years of fishing, traveling, collecting, etc.
After it was all over I sat down and drew up an estimate of the cost of fish I caught.
It came to close to $7,000 per lb...yes that was  seven thousand dollars a pound.
This gardening hobby is much better suited to my retirement adjustments.
I love composting
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/30/2013, 11:06 pm

Jimmy Cee, wow, you really spent money on that fishing hobby! At least home-made compost costs approximately zero dollars a pound, to start evening things out.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/30/2013, 11:08 pm

cheyannarach wrote:...Boffer, are you drinking beer or fishing more Wink
Busted! Embarassed  I've never owned a boat, and quit drinking beer years ago.  My family and friends  learned long ago not to invite me fishing because when I show up everyone gets skunked!  Truth is, buying toys and tools isn't as important or fun as it used to be, and I've been enjoying putting some of that money into an activity that provides some return on my investment.

I wish I could have gone fishing with jimmy cee.  Sounds like he drank some darn good beer and had a boat to die for!  Razz
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 11/30/2013, 11:35 pm

I guess it qualifies under all headings.
I expect my garden to more than pay for itself. In the past I kept careful records and was able to support that claim. Now I try to limit my budget to 100$ per spring. I totally blew that this year with a greenhouse.
My family sees the garden as 'Mommies time, best leave her alone' They know they can win mommy points if they haul manure or tell me how delicious the strawberries are etc. Laughing 

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 12/1/2013, 12:56 pm

boffer wrote:[quote=

I wish I could have gone fishing with jimmy cee.  Sounds like he drank some darn good beer and had a boat to die for!  Razz
I did have a boat to die for, never drank a beer while fishing, although I took lots of naps.
I would take 8 rods with me 2 tackle boxes full, spend 3 days getting ready and thinking about my trip.
Get up at 3 am after going to bed at 11pm, had everything all ready from the previous day.
1-2 hour trip, get everything set up on the lake and fall asleep..
When I purchased my first fish finder, I think it took me 3 trips before I finally went back to fishing.
That was so interesting, looking at everything on the bottom of the lake..
NOW, I take my coffee and sit out there with my compost pile.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 12/1/2013, 1:03 pm

aaahhhhhhh.... you are stirring up old memories for me Jimmy! lol! 
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/1/2013, 1:52 pm

Ah, fishing.  Summer of 2012 I bought a California fishing license and cheap fishing pole from Target.  (And to think I gave away several rods and reels from my parent's estate!).  DH and I drove 11 minutes up to river below Millerton Dam.  My first mighty throw from the bank landed 2 feet into the water.  Embarassed Embarassed A man fishing nearby said "Well, at least you got it into the water."  By the end of a couple hours, I was doing pretty good with my cheap, short rod.  DH read and sat shotgun.  Not a good place for a woman to fish alone.  But I crossed it off my bucket list

Quiet fishing has it's benefits.  Now, I'm prattling and working in the garden.  And watching compost compost.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/1/2013, 2:00 pm

sanderson wrote:...And watching compost compost.
Take the time to stop and smell the roses.

Take the time to stop and watch compost compost.

Take the time to stop and ... ???

(I'm the OP, and I approve of the derailment direction that this thread is heading!  What part of your household budget does your SFG money come from? 3170584802 )
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/1/2013, 3:02 pm

boffer wrote:
sanderson wrote:...And watching compost compost.
Take the time to stop and smell the roses.

Take the time to stop and watch compost compost.

Take the time to stop and ...  ???

(I'm the OP, and I approve of the derailment direction that this thread is heading!  What part of your household budget does your SFG money come from? 3170584802 )
Take the time to stop & listen
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 12/1/2013, 4:02 pm

... smell the compost.

I love the smell of compost in the morning.  It smells like victory!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 12/1/2013, 6:37 pm

I would have to say that my SFG is ENTIRELY under the Mental Health category of my budget.  It could be listed under any of the other original list, but its main function is to keep me relatively sane.  Altho' Hubby does not understand the lure of dirt, poop, and sunshine, (ever watched Monk?  Nature - dirty!) he sees it puts me in a better mood, so he is willing to put up with it.  He is also becoming more interested in organic food, so that is a plus for explaining the few expenditures I have now.  The original set-up was done with cheap or free materials, with the peat and vermiculite being the largest expense.  Any additions are done with scavenged materials, which adds to the fun for me.  I love searching for free lumber, manure, compost additives, seeds, etc.  And most of all, I love reading all the posts on this wonderful forum from others who understand the lure of poop and sunshine!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/1/2013, 6:57 pm

"No dear, I'm NOT talking to myself...I'm talking to my plants."  Very Happy

(overheard in my garden multiple times!)
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 12/1/2013, 7:00 pm

boffer wrote:"No dear, I'm NOT talking to myself...I'm talking to my plants."  Very Happy

(overheard in my garden multiple times!)
rofl rofl rofl
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum