Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
black soldier fly - Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun! Toplef10black soldier fly - Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

black soldier fly - Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun! I22gcj10black soldier fly - Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
black soldier fly - Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun! Toplef10black soldier fly - Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

black soldier fly - Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun! I22gcj10black soldier fly - Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun!

+4
llama momma
batmap
No_Such_Reality
nosmok
8 posters

Go down

black soldier fly - Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun! Empty Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun!

Post  nosmok 9/13/2013, 5:02 pm

My 3 tub Rubbermaid worm farm was doing well until several months ago, when it was "visited" by soldier flies.  The fly larvae and worms coexisted, but on recent inspection my bins are loaded with audibly munching larvae and not a worm in site!  The larvae leave very little compost behind.  I've been siphoning off the lechae for irrigation/fertilization but wonder if I should rinse the whole thing out and reworm?  That's what Uncle Jim's recommends, but wondering if the larvae could be useful in a compost bin or elsewhere?
nosmok
nosmok

Male Posts : 55

Back to top Go down

black soldier fly - Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun! Empty Re: Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun!

Post  No_Such_Reality 9/13/2013, 6:37 pm

The soldier flies are super efficient at converting the food/green waste. I've got a multi-tiered system and they only become a problem if I get over zealous with adding too much kitchen waste.

Only solution I've found is the raise the infected layer and put another tray between it and the lower layers that the worms run and hide to. You can then scoop out the larvae and through them in the compost pile and get the worms back to normal.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

black soldier fly - Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun! Empty Re: Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun!

Post  nosmok 9/15/2013, 9:52 pm

I cleaned out the bins but have a swarm of live larvae in bottom bucket.  It seems that adding them to my compost barrel will only result in feeding the larvae not hastening my compost maturation.  Is this the case?  They seem so efficient in breaking down waste, I don't want to find an empty barrel in a few weeks.
nosmok
nosmok

Male Posts : 55

Back to top Go down

Post  batmap 9/16/2013, 9:48 am

I suggest you search the web for compost bugs or pages similar to links below.
http://www.ehow.com/list_6963948_bugs-live-compost-piles.html
http://www.soyouwanna.com/bugs-aid-composting-21568.html
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t13379-good-bug-bad-bug-in-compost
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humus
batmap
batmap

Male Posts : 70

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/16/2013, 11:31 am

Redwormcomposting.com is the place I go for all my questions.  For starters here is what the owner of the site had to say--

Black Soldier Fly Larvae – while these guys CAN basically co-exist with worm in a vermicomposting system (they don’t attack the worms or anything like that), their presence may indicate that conditions have shifted away from “ideal” for the worms. They tend to appear when temps are pretty warm/hot, and their fast waste-processing can result in even more heat being produced. A good strategy when you start to see these guys is to slow down your feeding a lot and add loads of bedding instead. The larvae definitely prefer a waste-rich environment, so you’ll likely start to see a decline in their numbers after a while.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 9/16/2013, 1:03 pm

Too bad you don't have chickens to feed the larvae too. I know of a website that promotes raising soldier fly larvae as a win-win for getting rid of all table scraps and raising free nutrient rich food for the chickens at the same time.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lzalvis 6/16/2014, 11:07 pm

I've had my worm bin for a year now, and wanted to chime in.  I started with one humble rubbermaid bin in my garage - holes drilled, kept it watered, etc.  Well it expanded so fast, and I kept it TOO wet, that low and behold I had a bin full of loud, crunchy, squirmy BSF larvae.  The compost bin also started to *stink*.    Blech.  I called the super-helpful worm guy I bought my little wormies from, and he said also that - they can co-exist, and are also good composters.  But their presence meant the worm bin had gotten too wet for the worms.

So soon thereafter, I decided to move my worm bin outside.  I found some old 4x4's and build a 2x6' bin directly on top of the ground.  It keeps an even moisture level much easier, so I don't have as much the pesky maggot problem.  It's easier to tend too, and the worms have so much more room to eat, poop and procreate.  Yessssss
lzalvis

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/17/2014, 9:33 am

Izalvis---That sounds great. I'm jealous! 

I have a bunch of old cedar wood fence slats to make an outdoor bin.  I keep stalling because I'm afraid of losing worms during Ohio winters.  I know there are ways to insulate but still, I keep putting it off.  So for now I have 9 basement bins. There is another project in the works of a 8ft by 4 ft. bed in the basement which would be all the room I could ever need or want. Then the outdoor bed could become a nice experiment to place excess worms I suppose.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  lzalvis 6/29/2014, 10:29 pm

Llama - I struggle with my plants, but I sure know how to grow some worms!!  Now if I can figure out the best way to get all that great worm compost out of there!
wow, 9 basement bins??  That takes dedication Smile
Our Atlanta winters are nothing like yours.  But I know that when it gets colder, my little guys dive right down to the bottom.  Plus it's all covered with black plastic and a light hangs inside.  It's SO easy being outside.  Maybe if you started gangbusters in teh spring, you'd have a huge pile of compost for your outdoor bin, which would give them lots of warm room to snuggle down into by winter.
lzalvis

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/22/2014, 9:48 pm

My husband built an open bottom worm bin for me from scrap lumber and salvaged door knobs.  I put last year's compost remains with wonderful red wigglers in it a few days ago, plus the fleshy fruit pits in one corner.  I was hoping the worms would make some black gold from the flesh and then I could throw away the stripped pits.
black soldier fly - Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun! Worm_b10
However, a gillion black soldier fly larva appeared in the pit area, almost overnight.  Last Friday night, I fed the worm tubes and tucked some food in the original wormy compost and buried it.  Last night it was swarming with the BFL.  At least the pits are stripped so I can remove them.  Embarassed
black soldier fly - Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun! Worm_b11
I moved aside the top material and found this "coffee grounds" material.  Should I sift out as many BSL to save the worms?  Maybe they dived down into the dirt?
black soldier fly - Worm farm >>soldier fly overrun! Worm_b12
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21564

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/23/2014, 8:26 am

Sanderson
I would go straight over to redwormcomposting.com and post your question to Bentley.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  nycquilter 7/24/2014, 6:04 pm

Llama--

I have four bins and was worried that they're taking over the basement. It still grosses my husband out. I can't imagine having 9! I am using one of the four as the finishing tub. Then, one for almost finished and two for adding scraps to.
nycquilter

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/24/2014, 7:43 pm

Hi nycquilter
If needed you could feed them less to slow down reproduction.  Oh yes I agree they are kind of gross but I over look it because they are innocent creatures with wonderful benefits.  The little guys in 9 bins keep me busy at feeding time.  Otherwise I know they want to be left alone.   Its nice to have enough for myself and sell fresh castings at the farmers market.  I give buyers an information sheet with their purchase and also tell them to take pictures of plants before using castings and 2 weeks after. I'm getting very nice responses from people.  Zero complaints so far and I think it will stay that way with fresh castings  Smile 
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down