Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - winterizing my strawberries Toplef10strawberries - winterizing my strawberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - winterizing my strawberries I22gcj10strawberries - winterizing my strawberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - winterizing my strawberries Toplef10strawberries - winterizing my strawberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - winterizing my strawberries I22gcj10strawberries - winterizing my strawberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 10:20 am

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

winterizing my strawberries

+2
Triciasgarden
reci
6 posters

Go down

strawberries - winterizing my strawberries Empty winterizing my strawberries

Post  reci 8/24/2013, 5:18 pm

Hello my name is Reci and am new to gardening and I have a few questions.
I bought a strawberry hanging plant from Wal-Mart and planted it in the ground, after a friend told me that they grew back every year, and would multiply,  and I need to now how to winter them (I just want to be prepared for this cause don't know if it will take a while or not). I have never before had a fruit bearing plant so I have no clue how to do this can any one help me. Please  

Thank you!!
reci
reci

Back to top Go down

strawberries - winterizing my strawberries Empty Re: winterizing my strawberries

Post  Triciasgarden 8/25/2013, 1:53 pm

Hi Rici and welcome to the forum!  We have topics on this subject.  Some people cover their strawberries with straw, some cover with leaves and some don't cover their strawberries at all.  Here is a link to winterizing strawberrieshttps://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t14371-winterizing-strawberry-sfg?highlight=winterizing+strawberries

If you want to do a search for additional information, look to the left column at the top there is a "SEARCH' box.  You can type in what you want to search for and you should be able to find whatever information you would need.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

strawberries - winterizing my strawberries Empty Re: winterizing my strawberries

Post  camprn 8/25/2013, 3:04 pm

And some folks mow them with a lawn mower... It all depends upon the type of berry plant you have. Your local Cooperative Extension Service will also have some good information about how to deal with the strawberry plants in your particular area.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

strawberries - winterizing my strawberries WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 8/25/2013, 9:57 pm

Welcome, Reci! There are a number of approaches, and I would bet at least 25 cents your plant will survive the winter. But if you can find out what variety the plant is, it will help point you towards specific info.
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  murarrie25 8/26/2013, 4:58 am

Did the strawberry multiply if you can get to multiply then try and give away then if disaster happens to your strawberry there is a chance that the strawberry given away survives and they can give you one back.
murarrie25
murarrie25

Male Posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/26/2013, 9:06 pm

How you treat a strawberry plant depends a lot on whether it is a June-bearing (big flush of fruit in early spring/summer) or an ever-bearing type (self-explanatory, but to elaborate: flush of early fruit, and a second less-exuberant fruit bearing later in the summer, which (if well watered/fed) will continue to produce fruit until cold weather.  The June-bearing types benefit from a radical cut back to inhibit its desire to send out LOTS of runners.  The ever-bearing types give you more fruit if you clip most of the runners, but save enough to start new plants.  (Strawberry plants are healthier and bear more fruit if they are between one and two years old._  Then there are the Granny Berries (a six-pack of almost-dead strawberry plants my mom rescued from the store, planted and which do everything the above-mentioned June-bearing AND ever-bearing plants do.  Additional benefit: some of the best strawberries I've ever tasted.  All our family would love to know the real name of this variety, but, heck, who really cares if they can get a start of Granny's strawberries.  (we did!)  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down