Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help Toplef10Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help I22gcj10Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help Toplef10Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help I22gcj10Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help

4 posters

Go down

Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help Empty Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help

Post  Windmere 6/28/2013, 4:49 pm

Hello all,

I am having a strange problem with my two 4 x 4 SFG beds.  One bed is doing amazingly well.  I'm shocked at how well it's doing.  The other box is just struggling and the plants are plagued with yellow leaves.  I was certain of identical mix in both.  Perhaps I was wrong.

Another factor:  The "Happy Box" was getting more sunlight for a period of time (about 7 hours).  After removing a tree, the "Sad Box" is getting an equal amount of sunlight (it was previously getting around four hours a day).  The tree was removed on Monday.  However... I'm wondering, would light cause  leaves to yellow so badly?  I'm wondering if there is a nitrogen deficiency.

Happy SFG Box:

Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help Dscf3810

Sad SFG Box:

Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help Dscf3811

Happy Pepper:

Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help Dscf3812

Sad Pepper:

Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help Dscf3813

Happy Eggplant:

Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help Dscf3814

Sad Eggplant:

Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help Dscf3815

All of the plants are approximately the same age.

These boxes are side by side with about four or five feet separating them.

Any advice would be so much appreciated.  Thanks everyone.

Wind

Last edited by Windmere on 6/28/2013, 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added more info)
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help Empty Re: Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help

Post  mollyhespra 6/28/2013, 5:20 pm

I know that my eggplants (which are in containers) weren't doing so hot until I realized that where I'd placed them wasn't getting as much sun as I thought. I promptly moved them to full-on sunshine all day, and it's amazing how much of a difference it's made.

Similarly, peppers like it hot, also, so if you're sure the mix is the same & there aren't other variables that could be affecting them (tree roots or bad nematodes inside your "sad" box, etc.), I'd say just give it a week or two & see what happens.

If you're anxious about nutrient deficiency, you could have your MM tested, but otherwise just hang in there.

HTH!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help Empty Re: Happy SFG box vs. Sad SFG box - Photos - Please, post ideas to help

Post  No_Such_Reality 6/28/2013, 5:48 pm

That looks about right for not enough sun. Lack of sunlight tends towards spindly and pale.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 6/28/2013, 7:33 pm

Windmere, I have 5 pepper plants in the same box, all in close proximity.  Most of them are beautiful, but one of them looks just like your "sad" pepper plant.  I have no idea what the problem is either.  Since they're all in the same box, I'm thinking maybe that variety just doesn't do as well here or something, or maybe the cucumber plant behind it is crowding it somehow.  I have no idea.  I know all my plants have done a lot better since I started giving them the Boogie Brew compost tea blend with the worm gold plus added in.  That stuck rocks!  I'm going to experiment with feeding them some black strap molasses.  Josh (at Boogie Brew) told me periodically feeding the soil microbes some kind of a carbohydrate blend a few days after the tea wakes them back up.

This is the year of experimenting, learning and making mistakes for me.  I'm hoping next year I'll be better at it.  *keeping fingers crossed*  

I hope you figure it out.  If you do, let me know!
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down