Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! Toplef10Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! I22gcj10Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! Toplef10Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! I22gcj10Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins!

+10
gregrenee88
quiltbea
Pollinator
Turan
Triciasgarden
will
sanderson
Dirt Girl
camprn
brainchasm
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! Empty Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins!

Post  brainchasm 6/16/2013, 12:18 am

So, I'm out by the garden in the dark, for no particular reason other than I do that sometimes.

As I'm standing there, I see the shape of something come silently fluttering into Plot A...

I go get my flashlight...

AND CATCH HER IN THE ACT!

Hummingbird hawk moth, depositing eggs on my tomato plants!

I almost beaned her with the flashlight, but I just kept following her, and she didn't much like the light at that moment, so she fluttered away.

And of course, this prompted a deep flashlight inspection of my plants.  I only found half a dozen eggs scattered among my five plants, but I know I didn't find them all...

So it begins...the hornworm cometh, and I am prepared.

HAVE AT THEE, FOUL KNAVE!

Last edited by camprn on 6/16/2013, 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : expanded title)

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! Empty Re: Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins!

Post  brainchasm 6/16/2013, 3:09 am

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! 9056045450_38d221e0f5_o

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Back to top Go down

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! Empty Re: Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins!

Post  camprn 6/16/2013, 7:03 am

OH! How wonderful! Wasn't she one of the most magnificent creatures you have ever seen (despite the fact she was laying eggs in your tomato plants)? They really are quite something. Glad you found the eggs and put an end to them, for your garden's sake. Happy hunting and good luck!

When I find the worms, and if it is are parasitized in particular, I pick the worm off and take it away from the garden, but I don't kill it. I want the braconid wasp eggs to hatch so the next generation of the wasps can do their thing on the next generation of hornworms in the garden.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05517.html

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! Moth+car+sphinx2+steve+boutte

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! 429097316

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! Tomato_hornworm

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 6/18/2013, 12:49 am

So, since that night, I've found probably 10 more eggs, and about as many caterpillars.

Luckily, I'm catching them all in the first instar (hatchlings)...in fact, most have still been on the same leaf as their eggshell.

It really is all about find the damage, find the worm. It works so consistently!

brainchasm
brainchasm

Back to top Go down

Post  Dirt Girl 6/18/2013, 1:36 am

How do you know if they've been parasitized, camprn? Is that the pic with eggs on it's back?

I had fruit worms last summer and they make me so FURIOUS!! How DARE you eat my food before it has a chance to ripen?! Grrrrr!! I sprayed weekly with a camphor insecticide but I'd just had a baby and couldn't stay on top of it. My tomato harvest was despicable - less than 5! I'd squish the little buggers whenever I found one. They have the most amazing green guts... from eating MY PLANTS!
Dirt Girl
Dirt Girl

Female Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/18/2013, 3:33 am

What do the eggs look like?  I have looked at my tomatoes plants at least 4 times a day looking for the tomato worm.  Last night I found holes in 2 Romas.  Is this what the damage to the tomatoes look like.  I have only seen the horn worm on leaves and stalks, never on the tomatoes.  And that was years ago.  Comments appreciated.
Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! 100_6133
Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! 100_6134
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! Empty Green Hornworms

Post  will 6/18/2013, 11:52 am

I'm only in my second year of SFG and I just had my first run in with green hornworms. They have almost destroyed four of my tomato plants in less then a week. I have pulled about 25 of them off in the last couple of days. I need some advice, please
will
will

Male Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 6/18/2013, 12:07 pm

Brainchasm good thing you saw that moth so you know to look for the eggs!

Camprn that is a good suggestion about keeping the parasites alive!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/18/2013, 12:16 pm

Sanderson that looks a lot like slug damage to me.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/18/2013, 2:27 pm

Turan, I ruled out slugs/snails. But thank you for replying.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 6/18/2013, 2:30 pm

Paper wasps - the gentle ones that make little umbrella-shaped nests - are wonderful hornworm snatchers. I have them patrolling among my tomatoes all the time. Once in a while I see a young hornworm, but it's always gone within a few hours.

Some folks kill their paper wasps, out of misguided fear of them, and then wonder why the worms take over their garden. A very good sign of the health of a garden is the presence of these wasps flitting though the plants.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 6/18/2013, 2:35 pm

Pollinator wrote:Paper wasps - the gentle ones that make little umbrella-shaped nests - are wonderful hornworm snatchers. I have them patrolling among my tomatoes all the time. Once in a while I see a young hornworm, but it's always gone within a few hours.

Some folks kill their paper wasps, out of misguided fear of them, and then wonder why the worms take over their garden. A very good sign of the health of a garden is the presence of these wasps flitting though the plants.
I kill the ones trying to make nests on my house, unfortunately, but I don't kill the ones that visit to drink from my pool.

Never knew paper wasps were worm-hunters! They're doing a piss-poor job though.

brainchasm
brainchasm

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/18/2013, 2:53 pm

Hornworms usually just destroy the outer surface of tomatoes.  Its the leaves and stems that they devour and devastate.
Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! Pest_t12
Above: I removed a hornworm from one of these fruits seconds before taking this photo.
I found an easy way to destroy them.  Bring along a scissors with you and cut them in half.  You won't have to get that horrid green goo on you as can happen when squishing them.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/18/2013, 3:07 pm

Quiltbea,  Your photo shows what I thought horn worm destruction looks like.

So still don't know what caused the holes and gooey mess inside.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 6/22/2013, 1:05 am

Grr, found more eggs tonight, and one hornworm that looks like I've been missing him for a while - has his stripes, so I'm thinking second instar.

I got a bunch of pruning to do tonight anyway, so it'll be Armageddon for the hornworms in MY garden!

(I'll take a pic of "Big Boy" after pruning; he's chilling in my laughable compost pile)

brainchasm
brainchasm

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/22/2013, 1:07 am

What do the eggs look like? Haven't seen a pic of them.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 6/22/2013, 3:17 am

sanderson wrote:What do the eggs look like?  Haven't seen a pic of them.
Oh sorry! All the eggs I see, I just chuck them in the rocks!

Here is a picture of the recent hornworm I found. Currently, he's cruising around on the leaf I found him on, on my counter. And yes, those pics are his "frass" (turds).

I saw him drop one of them...they pick up their back feet to poop, lol!

Be aware - the "Enlarge this picture" versions are enormous.

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! 9106668884_90babc6b74_o

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! 9104447725_0d66bbb97d_o

brainchasm
brainchasm

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 6/22/2013, 8:51 pm

I pulled a baby hornworm off my tomato plant the other day. My daughter took and placed him in her bug catcher. We got rid of him today. Very Happy
Renee
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 6/23/2013, 1:40 am

sanderson, here's your picture of eggs.  Tonight's haul was 10 eggs (5 green, 5...other).

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! 9112078517_599e6023be_b

Dime for scale.

Also, found this little guy.  Find The Damage, Find The Worm!

"Aerial/wasp" view:

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! 9114310366_33149c33f8_b

And yes, that's frass (caterpillar poop) by his rear end/horn.  That bit of shine on the left edge, bottom half of the pic is his eggshell.  Thus, my guess is, from size, vicinity to shell, and general horn-to-body ratio, that he is a first instar (hatchling, but obviously been eating).

Here's the pose-pretty-for-me angle:

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! 9114316844_1e7e8b40ce_b

brainchasm
brainchasm

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/23/2013, 1:57 am

BC,  Shocked
I'm suppose to actually see the eggs????  Forget the magnifying glass, I'm going to need a jeweler's loop!!  Shocked

PS Aerial/wasp view - you have humor!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  TexasTracy 6/23/2013, 2:11 am

It's amazing how much damage they can do! I found one on a tomato plant I've been nurturing (I transplanted it from my overly crowded box to a bucket) yesterday. Looked all over, didn't find anymore but this morning I found another one! The amount of frass on my patio around the bucket was just gross! It also blows my mind how they can eat that much so quickly!
TexasTracy
TexasTracy

Female Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 6/23/2013, 2:50 am

Hey, I can see them, and I wear glasses!

To be fair, I am pretty used to doing very small detail work (microsoldering).

I've found going out at night with a bright flashlight (think maglite, even a small one) helps.  Your eyes focus on where you're putting the light, etc.

If you don't want to hunt eggs, and I don't blame you, then just remember - Find The Damage, Find The Worm!

Usually.

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! Girlan11

brainchasm
brainchasm

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/23/2013, 1:09 pm

BC, Love the photo. I use a maglight at night because I see different things at night with it compared to what I see in the daylight. Example, green cabbage worm. I can't focus on small things like I used to. I think it's called "old eyes." I have even thought about buying the magnifying loop glasses used by dentists. I will start using my magnifying glass more! No frass so far.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 6/27/2013, 3:25 pm

Meet Harry the Hornworm!

Instead of killing this one, I pruned a tomato and brought him inside and he's been eating, pooping, and last night he molted! I think that puts him at second instar.

Biggest caterpillar so far (now, since I've been feeding him).

Don your armor...the hornworm battle begins! 9154489204_605f29e8aa_b

brainchasm
brainchasm

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/27/2013, 3:43 pm

BC, I think it's kind of neat. Another experiment! Is he inside or outdoors? What will you do once he pupates? I mean, you've already named him!! Smile

Off thread:

I once picked up an American cockroach egg capsule at a bakery when I worked as a health inspector. I put it in my shirt pocket intending to add it to the office specimen collection. I forgot about it and that Friday evening, I found in and put it on my dresser. Sunday evening it dawned on me that I didn't know when the babies inside would hatch, so I put it in a jar. That night, they hatched! Thank goodness I had finally put the capsule in a jar!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum