Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
help - I really messed up Toplef10help - I really messed up 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

help - I really messed up I22gcj10help - I really messed up 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
help - I really messed up Toplef10help - I really messed up 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

help - I really messed up I22gcj10help - I really messed up 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

help - I really messed up

4 posters

Go down

help - I really messed up Empty help - I really messed up

Post  leftie 6/15/2013, 8:47 pm

I've been an advocate of square foot gardening for years, and recently convinced two friends to follow suit because it is such a wonderful and fun way to garden. My daughter built an (average height) 18" high concrete-block square foot garden for me as a BIG favor as I'm housebound and can no longer garden at ground level, so to speak. We put in 12" of commercially prepared amended topsoil (1/3 topsoil, 1/3 compost, 1/3 sand) and then added a 6" layer of 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite, and 1/3 compost. This is were I messed up. Being housebound, everything I buy is from the phone. Because I wasn't able to shop around, I ordered all the compost from a 3-generation mom-and-pop feed store. They said the product got great results, etc. There was no intent for harm, but it turns out this year's batch of "really great compost" was burned - after we mixed and installed the 6" of Mel's mix (modified as he specifies a mixture of different composts), the seedlings didn't come up or came up and didn't grow. The root systems are totally undeveloped. Transplants slowly are dying. The bottom leaves are turning yellow as new leaves are produced but then they start dying altogether. In trying to figure out what happened, the compost material appears burnt. The little balls of dried compost crumble into what looks like ash. But out of the bag it looked perfect. The whole garden has an "ashy" look - the dirt is black and gray.

Ok, so it's totally my fault for buying only one type of compost. Is there any way to remedy this problem? What can I do? Please, please help. I love gardening, and after a hiatus of not being able to, gardening so close to being within reach with the 18" raised beds. What do we do? Remove the top 6"? Amend it somehow? It's all vermiculite, peat moss, and ashy compost. I have a total of approximately 240 square feet of square foot garden. It's so beautiful....apart from this little issue.
leftie
leftie

Female Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

help - I really messed up Empty Re: help - I really messed up

Post  walshevak 6/16/2013, 12:28 am

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but can compost get too hot and actually burn the organic material leaving just ash? Does this "fire" kill all the nutrients in the compost?

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/16/2013, 7:24 am

Hi Leftie, Welcome to the SFG Forum!
I'm sad to read about your garden.
Have you contacted the store where you bought the compost? I am curious about this compost and where it came from.... they store owners should be able to get this information to you. The best way to get answers to what the true issues are with your growing medium is send it to a lab for analysis. UMASS has a great soil testing lab and their turn-around time is very quick.
Another thing is call your local county Extension Service and maybe the Ag agent can help you with some ideas.

Depending on what you find out, maybe flushing the entire bed with a lot of water may help. It is really very difficult to advise you on a solution without knowing the actual problem.

Can you post a few photos of the problem growing mix?

Hopefully you can overcome this setback and get your garden going again soon. Keep up posted.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

help - I really messed up WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/16/2013, 7:28 am

walshevak wrote:I have no idea what I'm talking about, but can compost get too hot and actually burn the organic material leaving just ash?  Does this "fire" kill all the nutrients in the compost?

Kay
I don't think so, it's not like a combustion fire, more like a chemical burn. But as of right now it's impossible to know what's going on in Leftie's garden.

As those of us who have our own compost piles know, sometimes in the interior of an active pile, there is what looks like ash, but it isn't ash, just a result of microbial action.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

help - I really messed up WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 6/16/2013, 9:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Leftie! Did the compost smell like nice soil or more like the raw ingredients that go into a compost pile? To me it sounds like the ingredients were not finished, but then having the heating up in such a small layer of compost sounds unusual. It may not be a problem with just one type of compost, maybe there were multiple ingredients in it.

I am so sorry you are having these troubles, especially since it is not possible for you to get out. I think Camprn's ideas are on the right track.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down