Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma Toplef10Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma I22gcj10Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma Toplef10Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma I22gcj10Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma

+2
camprn
sarah465
6 posters

Go down

Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma Empty Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma

Post  sarah465 5/8/2013, 3:32 pm

Well, I have done a silly Embarassed : Blame it on class finals brain fry, but when we direct sowed our radish, spinach, rapini and kale seeds onto one of our 2x6 beds we sowed each type in an adjacent square instead of kitty corner like we've done in the past. So now we have 2x1 "columns" of each type of veggie.

We need to thin out all of the squares and I'm wondering if it's better to just leave the columns or to attempt to transplant (yikes!). Has anyone ever tried transplanting radish? The spinach is so delicate I think I'll leave that one alone, but I'm curious about the others. thinking

This is what it looks like now:

Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma Oops10

Any ideas?
thanks
sarah465
sarah465

Back to top Go down

Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma Empty Re: Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma

Post  camprn 5/8/2013, 6:06 pm

Transplant to the spacing you would like, they will bounce back. I move small plants all the time. Hope you aced your finals! Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma Empty Re: Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma

Post  quiltbea 5/8/2013, 7:01 pm

sarah....I agree that transplanting while young should work.
But what's wrong with 2 squares of a crop in the first place? I don't see any problem with it.
I often plant mine in a 'row' of squares. Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma 05-05-13
Above: 2 squares shallots, 2 of Mizuna and next to that after the single line of radishes, is 2 squares of Tokyo bekana with 2 of Bloomsdale spinach beside those, which you can't see in the photo.
It works just fine.

What's the grater for?

quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  sarah465 5/8/2013, 9:02 pm

camprn: thanks I'll be transplanting them tomorrow then! I did ace them and got a 4.0 for the semester Smile woo hoo!!

quiltbea: thanks for the input, I think I'll definitely go for it Smile I don't know that there's anything the matter with doing it that way (in rows), just that we haven't before. I think the reasoning behind going kitty corner is for pest control. That way if one square of the veggie gets hit, hopefully the one kitty corner, or a few squares down will be okay.

And the box grater is covering a lid full of borax syrup soaked cotton balls. I'm trying to get rid of the ant colony that has made the bed its home and needed to do it in a way where the neighborhood cats and our two dogs wouldn't get into it. So far it seems to be working - fingers crossed Smile
sarah465
sarah465

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/9/2013, 7:16 am

Clever way of covering the borax syrup cotton ball. I was wondering about the grater also! Your garden looks very nice!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma Empty Radish and other root transplants

Post  BertieFox 5/9/2013, 8:00 am

Although you might get away with transplanting very young radish seedlings, you will find that the tap root is often damaged meaning you will get a very poor, twisted radish or turnip or whatever. I grow many of these in modules before planting out, but I prick them on as soon as the first seed leaves appear. Leaving them later I've found leads to misshaped roots.
As radish seed is so cheap and they grow so fast anyway, I really don't see much point in transplanting.
BertieFox

Male Posts : 28

http://www.loire-gites.eu

Back to top Go down

Post  sarah465 5/9/2013, 2:17 pm

BertieFox wrote:I grow many of these in modules before planting out, but I prick them on as soon as the first seed leaves appear.

This is our first time attempting radish, what do you mean by "prick them on"? Thanks for the input, I think I'll leave those guys alone for now Smile
sarah465
sarah465

Back to top Go down

Post  sarah465 5/9/2013, 2:19 pm

@ Triciasgarden

Thanks! My man did a lovely job building the boxes for us Smile Hopefully we won't move before being able to get two growing years in at this house.

sarah465
sarah465

Back to top Go down

Seedlings: To transplant or not. A dilemma Empty "Pricking them on"

Post  BertieFox 5/10/2013, 2:57 am

Maybe this is an English expression but it just means moving tiny seedling plants into larger pots or spaced out in seed trays. I guess it's called 'pricking' on as you often used a tiny stick or sharp instrument to move the tiny plants. 🐱
BertieFox

Male Posts : 28

http://www.loire-gites.eu

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/10/2013, 3:40 am

sarah465 wrote:
BertieFox wrote:I grow many of these in modules before planting out, but I prick them on as soon as the first seed leaves appear.

This is our first time attempting radish, what do you mean by "prick them on"? Thanks for the input, I think I'll leave those guys alone for now Smile

Sarah,
Use the back of a teaspoon handle or similar thin bladed item asa mini spade to lift the baby plant out with some soil avoid damage to the root and plant stem and re pot .

Perhaps look up " Pricking plants out of the seed bed "
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum